Potatoes And Itching

EIRE24

I have recently switched over to potatoes as my main carb source, before that it was white rice. I find the potatoe is much better digestion and satiation wise. I eat roughly 1-2 kilos of potatoes a day boiled very well. The thing is I have noticed I have been getting very itchy all over after consuming them but I have no rash or redness of any kind anywhere only the itch. Is this histamine reaction or would there have to be a rash or at least some kind of redness to go along with histamine?

I'm unsure wether to continue eating them or not. Another thought was that it may be a fungus but again, I have no visible markers other than the itch.

Hoping someone can shed some light on it for me.

Thanks

OP
E

EIRE24

Does it still itch after showering?

Yes I'm sure it does. I'm just worried because I already have dry and flaky skin and now with the added itch it's more annoying. Also, from my dry skin and the itch my eyebrows have started to fall out. When I rub my hand along them loads of hair comes away. I'm not sure if this would be to do with histamine or just dry skin? Both point to thyroid I know but I'm wondering if pursuing with potatoes is wise or not?

Ewelina

When I had problems with histamine my skin was also itchy without any visible signs of rush or anything. Potatoes are theoretically low in histamine but they are high in tyrosine which goes with histamine very often. Also it could be histamine produced in the gut bc of high amount of fiber and starch.

Kasper

I think the fiber could be problematic. I love potatoes, but it is very high in fiber, especially if you bulk it of course for your main carb source.

On the other hand, maybe because of the fiber it is has a low GI, similar to fruit?

OP
E

EIRE24

I think the fiber could be problematic. I love potatoes, but it is very high in fiber, especially if you bulk it of course for your main carb source.

On the other hand, maybe because of the fiber it is has a low GI, similar to fruit?

I peel them and boil for a long time. I would think it has nothing to do with fiber

milk_lover

I've noticed when I eat potatoes that are not cooked very well I get digestion issues and my body swells up similar to estrogen symptoms.

Jayfish

Just because you peel and boil them doesn't mean they are low in fiber. One kilo of potatoes is around 20g of fiber cooked that way.

OP
E

EIRE24

I've noticed when I eat potatoes that are not cooked very well I get digestion issues and my body swells up similar to estrogen symptoms.

I boil them for a very long time at least an hour maybe more and the potatoes are very easy on digestion. I get no swelling or rashes and feel perfect apart from the itching. It might not even be the potatoes I can't be positive but it's the only thing I've changed lately. If it was fungus or mite related there would have to be rashes or redness at least? No?

OP
E

EIRE24

Just because you peel and boil them doesn't mean they are low in fiber. One kilo of potatoes is around 20g of fiber cooked that way.

Possibly is high fiber content but nowhere near 20 grams. I don't think fiber affects me negatively anyway but maybe it could be potatoe fiber.

Jayfish

Chronometer says 20g per kg of boiled, skin taters. Boiling longer won't reduce fiber, just break down the starch more.

Not saying it is fiber that's causing it but taters definitely feed bacteria. Probably one of their favorite foods from all the starch and fiber.

OP
E

EIRE24

Chronometer says 20g per kg of boiled, skin taters. Boiling longer won't reduce fiber, just break down the starch more.

Not saying it is fiber that's causing it but taters definitely feed bacteria. Probably one of their favorite foods from all the starch and fiber.

Oh I agree with you, completely! Strange thing is though my acne has improved ditching white rice for potatoes, hard to explain why but it has?

tara

A few people are more sensitive to the traces of solanine even in well cooked potatoes, and do better avoiding the nightshades. Not saying this is you, just that's a possible factor for a few people.

I would expect an itchy skin fungus to be visible pretty quickly. If you can't see it I would guess it's something else.

Diokine

If you are having skin issues, I would recommend that you stay away from potatoes until you have some resolution in symptoms. The nightshade aspect is definitely a concern, less so if they are cooked very well but still an issue. I would be very concerned with persorption of the starch, especially if they are not eaten with a lot of fat. Potato starch is particularly problematic in this regard. This is probably the source of your itching, mediated by histamine, nitric oxide and substance P. Do you notice issues with your lungs (breathing feels "off") in conjunction with theses symptoms?

I have personally found white rice to be better than potato, but they both have issues. Either way, it is important that you really let your saliva do it's work on any starches. Not only will the amylase and other enzymes break down the starch to it's most manageable form, the mucin will help to bind things like lectins which are a huge source of inflammation. Taking a bit of niacinamide with your starch meals can also help maintain epithelial tight junctions in the gut. Increasing CO2 is probably the most protective thing you can do.

Biochemistry of lectin binding properties of mammalian salivary mucous glycoproteins

Peater Piper

Not only will the amylase and other enzymes break down the starch to it's most manageable form, the mucin will help to bind things like lectins which are a huge source of inflammation.
Woah, I had no idea about saliva being able to bind to lectins.

chispas

I have recently switched over to potatoes as my main carb source, before that it was white rice. I find the potatoe is much better digestion and satiation wise. I eat roughly 1-2 kilos of potatoes a day boiled very well. The thing is I have noticed I have been getting very itchy all over after consuming them but I have no rash or redness of any kind anywhere only the itch. Is this histamine reaction or would there have to be a rash or at least some kind of redness to go along with histamine?

I'm unsure wether to continue eating them or not. Another thought was that it may be a fungus but again, I have no visible markers other than the itch.

Hoping someone can shed some light on it for me.

Thanks

I suspect that this is the vitamin C content in the potatoes. I too recently (since Monday last week) started consuming 1 kg of potatoes a day in a potential weight loss experiment. Nevertheless, after a day or two my armpits started itching, which only ever used to happen when I used to eat lots of oranges and kiwi fruit (about 2 of each a day). I inferred at the time that the vitamin C was doing it, because as soon as I stopped the fruit, the itching stopped. However, I'm not sure if it's quite so clear cut.

When I drink orange juice (even if I drink a litre or two of the stuff), which is reported by my juice manufacturer to be as many as approx 20 oranges worth in a two litre bottle, there is no itching at all. My inference is that raw fruit and potatoes have a modest quantity of rutinoside in their fibre that has been shown to enhance the absorption and retention of vitamin C. I guess that commercially produced pulp-free orange juice gives you the vitamin C without the rutin, possibly due to the omission of the pulp?

I am going to keep going with the potatoes, but limit additional vitamin C foods and see if the itching abates.

Richiebogie

Dr Gundry has eliminated within 6 months all 800 cases of autoimmune disease he has seen by eliminating lectins:

https://selfhacked.com/2015/12/11/dr-gundry-turning-off-autoimmunity-with-a-lectin-avoidance-diet/

"Basically eliminate all foods you would have come in contact with since 10,000 years ago. So that’s all grains, beans. All of us in the United States are either European, Asian, or African ancestry. That means none of us ever encountered a lectin from North or South America until 500 years ago when Columbus started to trade. All of us actually encountered Asian lectins because Asian trade and African and European trade was established since beginning civilization. So then you want to eliminate American foods, they are particularly dangerous, like-corn, quinoa, nightshades, potatoes, eggplant, peppers, tomatoes, goji berries."

Wagner83

I like the idea of removing all grains, beans and nightshades but then what do you eat? Meat fed with grains and PUFAs? Dairy from the same animals? Unripened fruits or fruits juices with enzymes to dissolve the fibers? Out of those fruits which ones contain starch , are allergenic or estrogenic?

"So that’s all grains, beans. All of us in the United States are either European, Asian, or African ancestry. That means none of us ever encountered a lectin from North or South America until 500 years ago when Columbus started to trade. All of us actually encountered Asian lectins because Asian trade and African and European trade was established since beginning civilization"

There are people of European ancestry who thrive on grains and lectin-rich legumes such as the Seventh-day Adventist in California:

Adventist Health Studies - Wikipedia

Why Loma Linda residents live longer than the rest of us: They treat the body like a temple

Ellsworth Wareham who's now 103:

Also grain eating Fred Kummerow:

101 Year Old Fred Kummerow Exercised A Lot And Eats Whole Grains, Oatmeal, And Vegetables

Richiebogie

hi @Westside PUFAs,

The 7th Day Adventists and those 2 centenarians seem to have done better than average on their hi-veg diets, but how much healthier and less itchy would they be if they went low lectin on a Kitavan style sweet potato, fruit and seafood diet?