Ray Peat Eats Fried Chicken Wings?

lvysaur

tropical animals have less fat and more saturated fat.

Cameron

Not to revive the "chicken wing" thread, but I just tried this for the first after not eating chicken for 3 years and it was amazing.

It was like the old days eating them at restaurants.....minus the feeling like ***t afterward......so :)

The ultimate test for me is my sleep at night when trying new things.
I actually like chicken very much it still has some good nutrition and it’s very palatable and versatile. Chicken cream cheese and hot sauce is delicious and can be convenient to prep ahead

Cameron

I actually like chicken very much it still has some good nutrition and it’s very palatable and versatile. Chicken cream cheese and hot sauce is delicious and can be convenient to prep ahead
I think leaner chicken is actually a good protein choice staple if one also includes shrimp oysters and a little red meat

biffbelvin

Each Roasted chicken wing contains 1.4g of PUFA. That's going to be much higher if the wing is crumbed/battered and deep fried in vegetable oil. All that being said, eating chicken wings isn't going to be a real problem unless you over-eat, or make them a staple.

I just looked into recipes for this and had such a culture shock. I've never cooked with condiments before so the recipes sounded 'odd' to me. Totally subjective of course!

tallglass13

Chicken also has a good amount of Niacin for the NAD process, according to Nathan Hatch.

tropical animals have less fat and more saturated fat.
The fat that I render from pastured chickens turns solid in the fridge, and it smells delicious.

Beastmode

Ray told me in an email that he eats them for the taste, however the gelatin and coconut oil are very good for you.

I had the leftovers today and I'm using all the bones for a gelatin broth now.

Slept really well after eating them.

pepsi

If I recall correctly, someone asked Dr Peat what 3 foods he would take with him if stranded on an island, and turkey was one of them. I was surprised.

mrchibbs

If I recall correctly, someone asked Dr Peat what 3 foods he would take with him if stranded on an island, and turkey was one of them. I was surprised.

It wasn't turkey. It was tortillas, cheese and oranges I think. The host didn't hear clearly.

RealNeat

Boil, skim off fat, fry in tallow. That should diminish the PUFA significantly.

What is won't diminish is the brine bath, citric acid diapers and terrible feed inspired health of the chicken.

Birdie

How is it possible to refry bacon?
I used to follow his instructions. Said to fry first, drain bacon, then add coconut oil and re-fry. If I recall right !

But I did ours in the oven on a rack first. Then added CO and re-baked it. We stopped bacon cuz simplifying now..

Birdie

That Peat bacon tasted great !!

abruzzi

I used to follow his instructions. Said to fry first, drain bacon, then add coconut oil and re-fry. If I recall right !

But I did ours in the oven on a rack first. Then added CO and re-baked it. We stopped bacon cuz simplifying now..
Okay, thanks. I asked because i discovered that the air fryer is an easy way to cook up bacon. It takes on a weird shape, but it does cook up easy and the fat drains to the button, which can be put in a jar etc.

But, I think the ley is to use thick cut bacon to avoid it getting shrunk up into weird forms. Haven't tried it yet.

Maybe I'll coat the bottom of the air fryer with coconut oil (instead of olive) and maybe put the bacon in a bag and coat it with coconut oil before air frying.

Frying or baking twice seems like a hassle.

I'm thinking about coating my air fried chicken wings in coconut oil before air frying as well. I usually use olive oil.

Of course, I have zero idea if this will have any real effect. But I heard that butter can also help dissipate or dilute PUFA.

So I'm theorizing that coating the wings in coconut oil, air frying until crispy, then using buffalo sauce (butter) might dilute PUFA.

It better because I'm not giving up my chicken wings.😃

abruzzi

RealNeat

@abruzzi That chicken still has all the problems I listed maybe they don't citric acid a frozen chicken but the feed is still high methionine and not biologically appropriate and they still brine. I look for chicken with the lowest % water.

Chicken is the only meat that gives me kidney discomfort.

I'm not saying it's terrible but I'm liking chicken less and less as a meat option, they just don't have the protective functions ruminant animals do.

RealNeat

Fry, drain oil. Refry in saturated fat. Pan fry of course, deep frying won't work. @abruzzi

Butter baked on the wings, before you pour on the hot sauce, is sooooo good.

Birdie

Okay, thanks. I asked because i discovered that the air fryer is an easy way to cook up bacon. It takes on a weird shape, but it does cook up easy and the fat drains to the button, which can be put in a jar etc.

But, I think the ley is to use thick cut bacon to avoid it getting shrunk up into weird forms. Haven't tried it yet.

Maybe I'll coat the bottom of the air fryer with coconut oil (instead of olive) and maybe put the bacon in a bag and coat it with coconut oil before air frying.

Frying or baking twice seems like a hassle.

I'm thinking about coating my air fried chicken wings in coconut oil before air frying as well. I usually use olive oil.

Of course, I have zero idea if this will have any real effect. But I heard that butter can also help dissipate or dilute PUFA.

So I'm theorizing that coating the wings in coconut oil, air frying until crispy, then using buffalo sauce (butter) might dilute PUFA.

It better because I'm not giving up my chicken wings.😃
I want to try the chicken wings. I'd forgotten all about it. Excited!

tallglass13

Boil, skim off fat, fry in tallow. That should diminish the PUFA significantly.

What is won't diminish is the brine bath, citric acid diapers and terrible feed inspired health of the chicken.
Chickens don't make bacon silly..but you do have a point with the diapers. Buying the best of the best is the only way to go.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals