Ray Peat On DHAA In Meat: No Need For Ascorbic Acid Supp?

I have the impression that the renowned Kobe beef isn't beef made from cows that roam freely. They were even grown with mellow classical music. Their muscles are not used as much and are therefore more tender.

I've also made pork chops made from pork from US supermarkets and from Philippine wet markets. The American pork chops are way more tender, and I still haven't found a way to cook pork chops that are as tender. I suspect the water content in American pork chops are way higher, lending to its tenderness, but I could be wrong.

The way I make my chops is to sear one side on high heat for a minute, and then turn over to the other side, and on medium heat, cook it for another. minute or two covered with a lid, so that the pork cooks in its own steam from its juice. I think the American pork let's off more steam, and gets the pork cooked in less time.

I suspect the American pork producers either make the pig edematous or maybe in the processing inject moisture into the pork.
Haha that's cool that they were grown with classic music :)

Muscles that work a lot have less fat and are tougher.

Have you tried pressure cooking the pork chops with just a little bit of water( so that it doesn't burn) for 10 or 15 minutes then searing the outside on high heat? Pressure cooking meat, in my experience, always makes it more tender than other cooking methods. And it preserves more nutrients, since there is less oxygen reacting with the food inside the pressure cooker.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

Haha that's cool that they were grown with classic music :)

Muscles that work a lot have less fat and are tougher.

Have you tried pressure cooking the pork chops with just a little bit of water( so that it doesn't burn) for 10 or 15 minutes then searing the outside on high heat? Pressure cooking meat, in my experience, always makes it more tender than other cooking methods. And it preserves more nutrients, since there is less oxygen reacting with the food inside the pressure cooker.

I haven't tried pressure cooking the pork chop, given that I was wanting to it the way I was doing it successfully with American pork chop. But now I've come to realize Philippine chops are different. I tried putting some water to add to the steam, but it's just not the same. The pressure cooking may work. I was also thinking of using sous vide to soften the pork, but this is even more involved. I like things quick and dirty though, and the more involved it is, the more I find myself not doing it.

I haven't tried pressure cooking the pork chop, given that I was wanting to it the way I was doing it successfully with American pork chop. But now I've come to realize Philippine chops are different. I tried putting some water to add to the steam, but it's just not the same. The pressure cooking may work. I was also thinking of using sous vide to soften the pork, but this is even more involved. I like things quick and dirty though, and the more involved it is, the more I find myself not doing it.
Ah I see.

Amazoniac

Holy smokes! Grain-fed beef has more SFA and less PUFA than pasture-fed beef!

Thanks Amazoniac. I always liked grain-fed beef more as it tastes so much better, but thought all the time the enjoyment has a lot to do with it being BAD!!!

As it is with the sheer pleasure of enjoying real sugar Coke, more enjoyment equates to more health, even discounting for the dopamine hit.
Those values are extremely high, I even suspected of added ascorbic acid to prevent darkening, (as it was mentioned in the review) 100 g of beef would contain something like 1500-3500 mg.

Last edited:

milkboi

As Frank says, when people cook their grain- fed steaks, that masks the off-taste of the fat, so people don't notice how bad the fat really tastes.

I agree that the fat of commercially fed beef tastes very off. Very rancid. So I'd assume it has more PUFA.

Those values are extremely high, I even suspected of added ascorbic acid to prevent darkening, (as it was mentioned in the review) 100 g of beef would contain something like 1500-3500 mg.
The amount of PUFAs are also very high in the beef they tested. Not sure what happened there. Maybe they added some corn oil to the meat to prevent EFA deficiency?

That probably has more to do with aging. Wet aging is awful.
It's kinda like high meat, but not so fermented. In Europe, atrazine is less of a concern, so the meat may just be a little rotten.

Speaking of rotten, in one of Ray's aticles, he mentions that Vilhjalmur Stefansson tried decayed fish, and actually enjoyed it more than fresh fish eventually! Ray has used this fact to make a point that people can get used to eating old or stale meat if they eat it for a while.

Amazoniac

The amount of PUFAs are also very high in the beef they tested. Not sure what happened there. Maybe they added some corn oil to the meat to prevent EFA deficiency?
The place where animals were raised isn't cold enough to explain it. The cut was tenderloid (core).
It was fresh meat, part of it may be oxidized and escape detection, yet it's still a very high value.

"Commonly, ascorbic acid is added post-mortem to ground beef in order to improve red colour and to extend the shelf life of meat through its interaction with Diokine-tocopherol and other antioxidants (Djenane, Sánchez-Escalante, Beltrán, & Roncalés, 2002; Mitsumoto et al., 1991)."​

What's going on guys? Translate por favor.
They were using sorbitol to make old meat/ rotten meat look fresh, and then selling it. Sorbitol gives stale meat a red color.

It's basically fraud and corruption. Selling bad meat disguised as fresh. Absolutely disgusting behavior.

OP
yerrag

yerrag

They were using sorbitol to make old meat/ rotten meat look fresh, and then selling it. Sorbitol gives stale meat a red color.

It's basically fraud and corruption. Selling bad meat disguised as fresh. Absolutely disgusting behavior.
Thanks. Wonder how sorbitol does the magic.

LeeLemonoil

Rather good article about DHAA‘s usefulness in skincare. Peat has, as discussed in this thread, often emphasized the value and function of DHAA as an important modulating substance in tissue

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals