Raw liver, I found a way

BingDing

I figured out that 1/2 oz of raw liver in a blender with some liquid practically disappears/liquifies in about 30 seconds. I tried it making an orange julius and couldn't taste the liver at all. But the oj + iron isn't a good idea. I'm gonna try it with cold, strong coffee, milk and vanilla.

aguilaroja

By quick calculation, 1/2 ounce of liver has roughly 3 mg of iron. If you are only taking small quantities of liver weekly, the boost in absorption through vitamin C in orange juice, even if it tripled absorption (it probably doesn't boost nearly that much), would still be a small amount of additional iron. If iron intake is high from other sources, I suppose every bit counts.

The reasoning is sound, if iron excess is a concern. I'm just glad to hear suggestions of tasty liver preparations. I'll check this out and look forward to your other liver smoothie recipes.

paper_clips43

In my raw paleo days I use to blend raw honey, raw milk, and raw liver, and raw eggs together.

It tasted really good and had a hint of underlying taste of chocolate.
I bet chocolate or coffee would be a great addition.

I once at liver with a papaya and had a bad reaction. Not sure the exact cause of this although it could have something to do with the Vitamin C.

I am glad you found a way to consume liver!

This is exactly how I eat my liver too, makes me feel ten feet tall and bullet-proof: 1 cup coffee, 1 cup whole raw milk, 1 heaping tablespoon of raw cocoa powder, 2 TBS. hydrolyzed collagen, 6tsp. organic sugar or sucanat, and 1 oz. raw frozen organic grass fed beef liver. If I put too much more than 1.3 oz. of liver in I can taste it, yuck. Blend until perfectly smooth in a Vitamix and pour over ice cubes, it tastes better to me if it is super cold.

I suppose you could blend ice cubes WITH the mix and make a mocha granita/frappuccino type drink, those make me too cold though.

jaa

I buy frozen calf liver. Is it safe to cut it up frozen and eat the pieces raw when they thaw or do you have to buy it fresh to eat raw?

paper_clips43

I have done both. I prefer fresh for better availability of nutrients.
Lots of people do it frozen though because supposedly it is safer.
I also know that freezing it reduces the taste by a lot. A frozen liver has barely any of that livery taste that a a fresh one might have.

This girls freezes it and then eats it while chasing it down with lime juice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4cVFeMZI90

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I just sauteed a half pound of chicken livers in butter, mixed in 2/3 cup of plain Greek yogurt and put it all in the blender. The result is creamy with a very mild taste. I usually have calf liver but decided to try something new and I have to say this is really good. I'm having it on a few organic rice crackers, yum.(I'm sorry, this isn't raw! OOPS!)

OP
BingDing

BingDing

Well, heck, I wasn't even subscribed to my own thread, just saw these posts.

Did it with coffee and it was great, no liver taste!

I've been using Jenn's orange julius recipe with a raw egg, so the coffee version had a raw egg, too. It's hard to imagine more nutrition per mouthful than one of these things.

The last time I was at Polyface Farms stocking up on beef I saw a pound of frozen liver. I knew it was clean coming from the farm and figured I'd give liver one more try. I'm glad I did. I let it thaw slightly to cut into small pieces of about 1/2 oz then refroze them. The little pieces defrost in the fridge in a few hours enough to put in the blender.

Agreed that the oj + iron question depends on the individual. I eat beef pretty regularly so figure it's best to be cautious.

Gotta try the cocoa and the collagen a la big peatowski. I like the "10 feet tall and bulletproof" description, it does give a nice boost.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Lordy, BingDing you've got the set up at your place- CO2 and liver, sounds great!

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals