Peatist Losers [Weight Loss]

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

@KellyP, your story sounds oh-so-familiar. Big stress load and poor eating/lifestyle choices leading to "sudden" metabolic crack-up. But it wasn't really sudden...you just reached critical mass.

My understanding is that fast unexplained weight gain is actually a hallmark of the beginning of CFS. And that sounds like classic PEM you got. Not to say you have CFS...there are a whole other bunch of symptoms that go with it. But having those two symptoms are a pretty good indication of serious metabolic dysfunction even without being able to call it some syndrome.

But not to worry. You can fix it. Especially at this point, with as young as you are and as proactive as you're being. But even if you were my age, you could still do it. Might take a little more work, but absolutely fixable. I didn't start really healing until I was 49, and that was three years ago. And I'm not done yet. So far, things just keep getting better. Now if I can just find a food or supplement that completely reverses the effects of gravity... :lol:

Seriously, if you put in the work you will get results. I'd bet my 401K on it. :)

Best thing I can tell you right now is to stick hard and fast to very low fat/high carb Peat (VLF/HCP). From my more experienced perspective I advise not calorie restricting too much right now. Don't get distracted by the weight loss angle. You'll probably lose weight just from dumping PUFA and eliminating fat, and you need energy to heal. You have to overcome the cravings somehow before you can attempt calorie restriction successfully. Nutrition and energy are the path to overcoming cravings.

VLF/HC at will bring your blood sugar down FAST which will in turn give you motivation to continue. However, be aware that you might plateau with glucose readings for a while. Blood sugar derangement is mostly about fat in the liver and if your liver is carrying a lot of fat it might take time for it to clear.

Also, if you are obsessive about taking post prandials, be aware you may get some scary spikes (like your 201). That's to be expected and is not a bad thing. My post pran spikes are coming down, too. For example, the other day to test my tolerance to fructose rather than starch, I drank a bunch of grape juice on an empty stomach and then checked sugar at the half hour, hour and 2 hour. Half hour was 156, hour was 145, and 2 hour was 106. That 2 hour was better than after most mixed-macronutrient meals I eat. So were the other readings, for that matter.

So at this point, for people like us, it's not really about the spike, it's what does our body does with the sugar load over time. I advise you to skip the post pran readings for about a month. That will save on strips and cause you less anxiety. Plus, if you can stick tightly to VLF/HCP and no PUFA, you will probably get a very pleasant surprise next time you check your post prans.

Also, try not to obsess too much over daily fluctuations in any of your stats. We keep track so we can spot trends over time, not to beat ourselves up about stuff every day. ;) I'm not going to weigh myself every day, for example...I only weighed these three days in a row to see what would happen on the scale with VLF/HCP vs. what happened when I was doing VLF/calorie-controlled starch. Now I know, so I'm not going to torture myself every day. I'm only going to weigh once per week, every few days at the most. For all the moaning about needing to lose weight fast, this is *really* about losing weight fast while at the same time trying to stay as healthy as possible. I'm willing to sacrifice a little bit of my metabolism to the almighty scale, but not *that* much. Since you need to make progress in feeling better, you're probably better off just concentrating on healthy.

I'm also going to use other measures to gauge progress, like how certain jeans fit. Best not to torture yourself with that every day, either, but since we don't care if we weigh 200lbs as long as we can get into our target jeans, that's probably a better, healthier marker than the scale.

Last edited:
OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

However, I didn't realize it was *that* important to let it warm up. I usually only let it warm up 30 seconds to a minute before taking temp. What do you think the minimum is? 10 minutes is pretty much not going to happen for me but I could do 2. Would that work?
My experience is the less time I let it warm up, the more fluctuation I get. If I leave it in for two minutes and get a reading of 97.9, I might leave it in for two more minutes and then get a reading of 98.2. Then two more minutes gives me 98.4, until finally I reach 98.6 or whatever and the numbers don't change any more after the thermometer is thoroughly warmed up.

IME 10 minutes is about optimal. Five is probably fairly accurate. 2 minutes IMO is not enough, although maybe your thermometer is better than mine. Probably you should experiment with the time limit for fluctuation with your own device.

You could also try just sticking the thermometer in there under your shirt and keep that one arm tightly pinned to your side and do other things. Brush your teeth, make the bed or whatever. It's doable even if not ideal because you're moving around. But probably more accurate than 2 minutes laying in bed. Could you do that?

KellyP

My experience is the less time I let it warm up, the more fluctuation I get. If I leave it in for two minutes and get a reading of 97.9, I might leave it in for two more minutes and then get a reading of 98.2. Then two more minutes gives me 98.4, until finally I reach 98.6 or whatever and the numbers don't change any more after the thermometer is thoroughly warmed up.

IME 10 minutes is about optimal. Five is probably fairly accurate. 2 minutes IMO is not enough, although maybe your thermometer is better than mine. Probably you should experiment with the time limit for fluctuation with your own device.

You could also try just sticking the thermometer in there under your shirt and keep that one arm tightly pinned to your side and do other things. Brush your teeth, make the bed or whatever. It's doable even if not ideal because you're moving around. But probably more accurate than 2 minutes laying in bed. Could you do that?

Well, if it's important, I'll need to figure out a way. My husband is also starting to track his temp, and is more of a morning person, so maybe he'll wake up 10 minutes earlier to warm it up, take his temp then hand it over. :)

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Can you tell based on my waking and post breakfast stats if I need thyroid supplements?
I'd say that's a personal decision or something you might want to talk to your doctor about (if you have a doctor that would be open to it even if your lab values are "normal").

I just started using @haidut's Tyromax product

TyroMax - Custom, Liquid Thyroid (NDT), 3X, USP

and am very pleased with the results.

But personally I'm not really comfortable advising someone to do something like thyroid. I had a not great experience with it some years ago when I didn't understand my body as well as I do now and I just didn't know as much about physiology or the course of healing as I do now. It can be an interesting thing to get acclimated to and to get the dosing correct. But from what I've read plus what I'm currently experiencing, it can be very rewarding. I think it's definitely helping me with my temps. But there are also some things I feel like I still need to sort regarding my use of it.

Bottom line is I'm just not experienced in using it.

I advise you to do a bunch of reading and make the decision based on what you think is right for you. Maybe others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

You might also consider that if you start a bunch of new stuff at once (like diet, thyroid, progesterone, etc.) and then start having problems, it can be difficult to determine what you need to tweak to get better. Starting new things in a staggered fashion (one new thing every couple-few weeks) can make it easier to self-monitor. That's not a comment against starting thyroid, just something to consider.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

How do you supplement with progesterone? I bought a cream that I was going to take days 12-34 of my cycle (normally 37-38 days), but that might not be Peat-ish.
Again, some reading on the forum and also of Peat will be very helpful for you. Progesterone is my new best friend :lol: but I had quite bad experiences with it off and on for years before being able to use it successfully (which I only started having success a few weeks ago).

My rude understanding right now is that progesterone can flush stored estrogen from cells, especially fat cells and if you're losing body fat. The extra circulating estrogen can then cause really unpleasant problems (bloating, irritability, etc.) if your liver is not in good enough shape to metabolize it properly. That's what I strongly believe happened to me in all my failed attempts to use it over the years. Now my liver is nicely cleaned out from all the months of experimenting with VLF and also 1.5 years of PUFA depletion, so now progesterone is helping me.

But again, it's a personal decision. Self-education and knowledge are your best healing tools. We're not doctors around here...just sojourners like yourself.

Peat's Progest-E supplement seems to be very good and is easy to get. One plus of it is you can take it orally, which really is much better than those topical creams Dr. John Lee recommends. IMO those are useless crap compared to Progest-E.

@thebigpeatowski : how much progesterone are you taking per day now?

I start the progesterone on day 14 of my cycle (yes, I keep track of that on Cron-OCD too) and I take it on a sort of "as needed" basis. The amount I need varies, I don't count drops or milligrams because I've become familiar with how my body responds to it.

If I feel tense I will squeeze a line between my lower lip and gum line maybe three times a day, other wise just squeezing a few drops here and there works.

If I feel like I might kill someone (this is very rare nowadays) I drink it all day long. You may recall my recent tango with brewer's yeast....you poor girl, I'm still wincing that you read the WHOLE thing. Yeah, the brewer's yeast fiasco was a Three Alarm (bottle) Fire.

Progesterone, like food, has become self-regulating. My body tells me when it needs it, so when I forget to take it apparently I don't need it. I've gone through entire cycles without using any.

I do keep my bottles in the fridge and the open bottle in my purse (for emergencies) and lipgloss:kiss

You might want to keep better track of Dose & Timing and noting the effects until you are familiar.

OH YUM. I didn't realize that you ate other food besides your milk, OJ, coffee and dairy products. Veggies! At least it's something to chew.

I'm sorry, my bad...so just to clarify: When I did this in 2014 I could NOT tolerate taking in so many liquids. I couldn't get warm and my guts were in full-on rebellion, so I had to come up with fat free SOLID foods that gave me the same dense nutrition.

I have recipes from those days that I will share with you Fellow Losers. I also did the Raw Garlic Shock & Awe (June 2014, I think?) which helped my intestines TREMENDOUSLY!!!

But for ME, in this Round I am just drinking the liquids like Peat says in order to see if that makes any difference in weight loss or satiation or whatever. Drinking all this liquid isn't a problem for me now....so far.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I also did the Raw Garlic Shock & Awe (June 2014, I think?)
Ooooh. Do tell. :D

I remember one time when I was eating a bunch of raw garlic for something or my uncle picked me up in his car so we could go somewhere, and after a few minutes driving he cut his eyes over at me and said "Whew, -----, your ***hole must be *burnin'* from all that garlic you're eatin'!" :shock:

I guess it was coming out my pores. :shame: :lol:

haidut

Forum Supporter
I'd say that's a personal decision or something you might want to talk to your doctor about (if you have a doctor that would be open to it even if your lab values are "normal").

I just started using @haidut's Tyromax product

TyroMax - Custom, Liquid Thyroid (NDT), 3X, USP

and am very pleased with the results.

But personally I'm not really comfortable advising someone to do something like thyroid. I had a not great experience with it some years ago when I didn't understand my body as well as I do now and I just didn't know as much about physiology or the course of healing as I do now. It can be an interesting thing to get acclimated to and to get the dosing correct. But from what I've read plus what I'm currently experiencing, it can be very rewarding. I think it's definitely helping me with my temps. But there are also some things I feel like I still need to sort regarding my use of it.

Bottom line is I'm just not experienced in using it.

I advise you to do a bunch of reading and make the decision based on what you think is right for you. Maybe others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

You might also consider that if you start a bunch of new stuff at once (like diet, thyroid, progesterone, etc.) and then start having problems, it can be difficult to determine what you need to tweak to get better. Starting new things in a staggered fashion (one new thing every couple-few weeks) can make it easier to self-monitor. That's not a comment against starting thyroid, just something to consider.

Thanks for that post. I highly concur - everyone considering taking thyroid should do some reading on Peat's recommendations as well as various schedules for dosing it. Broda Barnes and Lita Lee have some good specific info and Peat has also mentioned some specific recommendations on doses, combinations of T4/T3, proper ratio of T4/T3, when T3 is preferable/advisable, etc.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

You might want to keep better track of Dose & Timing and noting the effects until you are familiar.
I've been tracking. So far so good. I was mostly just wondering to see if you still had to use it as a regular thing or if you were fixed. On-demand dosing for symptom relief = fixed at our time of life. IMO, anyway.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

Peat has also mentioned some specific recommendations on doses, combinations of T4/T3, proper ratio of T4/T3, when T3 is preferable/advisable, etc.
:insert spoon-feed icon here:

haidut, is there a one-stop-shop link to these recs, or is it scattered throughout his articles and publications? I'm plowing through all his stuff but so far I haven't come up on specific dosage recs that I can recall. Brainfog and retention still being somewhat of an issue for me although cognition seems to be improving somewhat.

Ooooh. Do tell. :D

I remember one time when I was eating a bunch of raw garlic for something or my uncle picked me up in his car so we could go somewhere, and after a few minutes driving he cut his eyes over at me and said "Whew, -----, your ***hole must be *burnin'* from all that garlic you're eatin'!" :shock:

I guess it was coming out my pores. :shame: :lol:

Ha ha....OMG that's a funny uncle story!!!:joyful:

I thought I was responding to KellyP on the progesterone post earlier, oops:oops....that poor girl read through My Ode To Ignorance in its entirety....eeegads.

haidut

Forum Supporter
:insert spoon-feed icon here:

haidut, is there a one-stop-shop link to these recs, or is it scattered throughout his articles and publications? I'm plowing through all his stuff but so far I haven't come up on specific dosage recs that I can recall. Brainfog and retention still being somewhat of an issue for me although cognition seems to be improving somewhat.

I don't know if there is a single source but some of the things that he said is for hypothyroid people T4:T3 ratio may have to be lower and close to 2:1 or even 1:1. Also he has said that he prefers taking pure T3 during the day and then T4:T3 combo at night. Then he said if using pure T3 it may be optimal to nibble on a single tablet Cynomel during the day so that means a 5mcg every 3-4 hours. Finally, if you Google for "lita lee thyroid schedule" or "broda barnes thyrodi schedule" you will find additional info. I think this type of information would be great to put onto the Wiki of this forum.

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I don't know if there is a single source but some of the things that he said is for hypothyroid people T4:T3 ratio may have to be lower and close to 2:1 or even 1:1. Also he has said that he prefers taking pure T3 during the day and then T4:T3 combo at night. Then he said if using pure T3 it may be optimal to nibble on a single tablet Cynomel during the day so that means a 5mcg every 3-4 hours. Finally, if you Google for "lita lee thyroid schedule" or "broda barnes thyrodi schedule" you will find additional info. I think this type of information would be great to put onto the Wiki of this forum.
:thumbsup:

That is the type of info that should be in the Wiki. Maybe I'll look into rounding it up this week. Thanks, haidut!

OP
whodathunkit

whodathunkit

I thought I was responding to KellyP on the progesterone post earlier, oops:oops....that poor girl read through My Ode To Ignorance in its entirety....eeegads.
Oh, c'mon. I thought it was interesting and loads of fun. At any rate, seeing someone else's naked ignorance always makes you feel better about your own. You did us all a service. ;)

KellyP

This. See, my guts love starch now where they didn't used to, but my brain maybe does not share the same affection....at least that's one of Dumbelina's Many Theories.

When did your gut heal? Before LF protocol? During? After?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals