Peating Really Makes Me Wanna Smoke

Broken man

Wow, never heard of that. My neighbour growing up had to start using an inhaler after a few years of smoking, so I don't think it was anti-histaminic for him...
Did you have allergic reactions go away after you started vaping?
BTW, what else is in the vapes other than nicotine?

The thing is that its big difference between smoking and vaping, cigarette contains more than nicotine and I think that I read that tobacco manufacturers add some things that will make smoker addictive to smoking. I tried smoking and snuffing tobacco but had only negative results only, mainly increased nitric oxide which was very crippling for me. About vaping, when you will buy premium liquid base, it contains only propylenglycol, vegetable glycerin and nicotine. You can choose easy to work with vaporizer and little time to learn how to use it. My personal experience is that nicotine is calming, bowel stimulating, focus improving substance. Its my main weapon against bloating and I like it alot but I am not addictive, I dont need to use it every day. Some studies:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S030439401630790X
Medscape: Medscape Access
SMOKING AND ULCERATIVE COLITIS – DOES NICOTINE HELP?
Nicotine exposure alters in vivo human responses to endotoxin

For another info, search for "nicotine celiac" by memeber "Travis".

dreamcatcher

I wouldn't really say it's my own theory.

Dr. Peat has said certain brands of milk might have bad bacteria due to the cows' diet, which might lead to poor digestion/intestinal issues. He has also said that Parkinson's starts in the gut, and that the reason he suspects nicotine is protective against the disease is that it reduces constipation. The only thing is that he said those things in different places, and all I did was make a connection.

I'm not saying milk inherently will cause Parkinson's, just that it could be problematic if you're not digesting it well, which aligns with what Dr. Peat says.
Ray Peat doesn't think that milk consumption is the cause of Parkinson's disease, he is in fact a big fan of dairy. Quality milk is important though, food sensitivities and gut issues are often signs of low thyroid function and don't mean that milk itself is bad. I heard someone saying that if Ray Peat had to choose between foods, he would pick milk as the perfect food, he said.

OP
Light

Light

Have you suddenly upped your milk intake?

I suspect a craving to smoke in response to an increased milk intake is a protective instinct to protect yourself against developing Parkinson's. I don't know what it is about American milk, but I think it might introduce bad bacteria/intestinal problems which in the long-run will cause Parkinson's disease, and tobacco smoking will protect against that by reducing constipation. There are several studies showing a strongly increased risk of developing Parkinson's associated with an increased milk intake, and nicotine (along with coffee) are the two most strongly protective substances against that disease.

Yes all opioids would slow down digestion, lower temps and metabolism, increase Endotoxins-related damage by triggering TLR4 (Endotoxins chronically increase Cortisol, Estrogen, Nitric Oxide), being neurotoxic by triggering Histamine and induce an autism-like mental state. Now the actual outcome would depend on your current economy, like if you're usually not triggering opioid receptors then the occasional times you do you might get net benefits out of other traits of such substances, which is why the Peat diet often starts with perceived benefits. For instance, a phytoestrogen with anti-androgenic effects but also antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-estrogenic effects usually would have a net negative effect for a man with already low androgens but a net positive one for a man with high androgens, or have a net positive one in moderation but net negative when taken daily since the trade-off becomes too negative.

I'm not saying milk inherently will cause Parkinson's, just that it could be problematic if you're not digesting it well, which aligns with what Dr. Peat says.

Ray Peat doesn't think that milk consumption is the cause of Parkinson's disease, he is in fact a big fan of dairy. Quality milk is important though, food sensitivities and gut issues are often signs of low thyroid function and don't mean that milk itself is bad. I heard someone saying that if Ray Peat had to choose between foods, he would pick milk as the perfect food, he said.

I've been a vegetarian since childhood, since i've always found meat and fish to be gross, the idea of eating something that was alive really put me off it as a child and hasn't changes as I grew older,
so I was really relying on dairy for protein, calcium and some other micronutrients.
Unfortunately moving from a vegan diet to having lots of dairy gave me severe constipation, and according to @lampofred it may also be the reason for the desire to smoke again, so i'm down to just some milk in my coffee 2-3 times a day, but I stilll intend to use dairy as my main sourse of protein (along with gelatin, which for some reason doesn't give me the creeps).
If i'm putting all the things you all said together, it seems that if I can get my digestion to work right (say, with Emodin), than dairy consumption would be worth the trouble, or tilt it towards a "net positive", wouldn't you say?

There's no such duality, NO is a vasodilatating crutch that in long-term (or even shortly past the temporary effect) promotes the conditions that lead to vascular and tissue calcification in the first place. CO2 is the essential factor of vascular health and the main antagonist of intracellular calcium (which itself causes the death of cells). Promoting blood and lymph circulation through daily movement (wether moderate cardio sessions or yoga exercises like "shaking the tree") is also an underlooked factor.
I wanted to thank you for sharing all your knowledge, i've only been into this for a little while and you have already been a great source of information and a very very helpful one, so :thankyou
I will read the two articles you posted, since i'm still not clear about the roll of calcium.
Regarding CO2 - do you find that bag breathing helps? How about baking soda?

Elephanto

@Light Yes bag breathing (especially if you notice you have been breathing too rapidly/shallowly then it can balance it quickly) and baking soda helps, the best way is to consistently have a controlled breathing (slow inhalation and exhalation with longer exhalations). Optimizing glucose oxidation also increases CO2, which B1 helps with as well as shifting away from fat oxidation (lower total fat intake, Estrogen reduction strategies, lipolysis inhibiting agents like Vitamin E, a bit of palmitic acid (about 2g is sufficient for this effect) and Niacinamide).

OP
Light

Light

@Light Yes bag breathing (especially if you notice you have been breathing too rapidly/shallowly then it can balance it quickly) and baking soda helps, the best way is to consistently have a controlled breathing (slow inhalation and exhalation with longer exhalations). Optimizing glucose oxidation also increases CO2, which B1 helps with as well as shifting away from fat oxidation (lower total fat intake, Estrogen reduction strategies, lipolysis inhibiting agents like Vitamin E, a bit of palmitic acid (about 2g is sufficient for this effect) and Niacinamide).
Will be getting Energin for Ideaslab tomorrow, is has very high doses of B1 and Niacinamide,
i'm mostly looking foreward to seeing how this affects brain fog and general energy and motivation

D

Deleted member 5487

Yeah I thinking about the milk having something to do with that, Travis has written extensively about milk in the Travis corner in regards to conciderations and things to be aware of.

It’s the only thing I started consuming more of when I was implementing things and drinking more coffee.

I’m unorthodox, it is rare to take up smoking after being educated constantly about the potential dangers of it. Perhaps it’s something to do with speeding up metabolism with food and lowering stress and then getting a taste for that feeling and being drawn to other things which do that too like tobacco.

Milk skim and 1% are the cause, its such a large dose of amminos, particularly But mainly it's the tryptophan in general.

Whole milk doesnt spike serotonin at all as @Travis has pointed out before.

Nothing makes me want to smoke more than a big protein meal. Literally just had one after eating Pho for lunch. With a bunch of pork/shrimp. Normally I can go all day without a smoke no problem

It's the bodies attempt to re balance dopamine with Tyrosine hydroxylase. Using tobacco.

CURE:

1) Two Large scoops of gelatin in warm water, fully dissolved. After protein meal- Destroys smoking urge entirly(if enough carbs present)
2) No low fat diary. .

I have tested this many times.

Last edited by a moderator:

Herbie

Milk skim and 1% are the cause, its such a large dose of amminos, particularly But mainly it's the tryptophan in general.

Nothing makes me want to smoke more than a big protein meal. Literally just had one after eating Pho for lunch. With a bunch of pork/shrimp. Normally I can go all day without a smoke no problem

It's the bodies attempt to re balance dopamine with Tyrosine hydroxylase. Using tobacco.

CURE:

1) Two Large scoops of gelatin in warm water, fully dissolved. After protein meal- Destroys smoking urge entirly(if enough carbs present)
2) No low fat diary. .

I have tested this many times.

This is interesting, thanks for sharing your experience.

Is it the nicotine doing this or combined with beta carbolines?

Elephanto

There's only a 7.3% difference in protein content, which would mean you'd get the same effect you attribute to Tryptophan at x amount of skim milk by drinking only 7.3% more whole milk.

I propose rather that the difference in effects is more largely attributable to the Palmitic Acid content of each (+70% in whole compared to 1% milk). It takes 2-3g of PA (which is about 30% of milk's fat) to inhibit Cortisol synthesis and perhaps more for increased inhibition, and that is a main pathway through which Serotonin exerts its negative effects. Personally I don't drink milk or its fermented products but I can tell that adding about 5g of palmitic acid daily from 10% cream (added this since I've found a brand without any additives) has reduced my stress levels to consistently low ones.

Though your advice of adding glycine to any protein-rich meals (as in whole milk too) would generally be good as we've seen that blocking Serotonin during protein feeding has doubled maximum lifespan, and more effective with 1g of Tyrosine (or Phenylalanine) and Lysine which are direct competitors of Tryptophan and Arginine uptake respectively. Lysine also independently inhibits Serotonin (5-HT3). BCAA can be added too but there's some neurotoxicity concerns with its use being linked to Amyotrophic Lateral Scleroris in athletes. Link
[note of attention if you plan on taking a lot of gelatin : it is an important source of Arginine with the highest amount per total g of protein out of all food sources I've looked at]

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 5487

There's only a 7.3% difference in protein content, which would mean you'd get the same effect you attribute to Tryptophan at x amount of skim milk by drinking only 7.3% more whole milk.

I propose rather that the difference in effects is more largely attributable to the Palmitic Acid content of each (+70% in whole compared to 1% milk). It takes 2-3g of PA (which is about 30% of milk's fat) to inhibit Cortisol synthesis and perhaps more for increased inhibition, and that is a main pathway through which Serotonin exerts its negative effects. Personally I don't drink milk or its fermented products but I can tell that adding about 5g of palmitic acid daily from 10% cream (added this since I've found a brand without any additives) has reduced my stress levels to consistently low ones.

Though your advice of adding glycine to any protein-rich meals (as in whole milk too) would generally be good as we've seen that blocking Serotonin during protein feeding has doubled maximum lifespan, and more effective with 1g of Tyrosine (or Phenylalanine) and Lysine which are direct competitors of Tryptophan and Arginine uptake respectively. Lysine also independently inhibits Serotonin (5-HT3). BCAA can be added too but there's some neurotoxicity concerns with its use being linked to Amyotrophic Lateral Scleroris in athletes. Link
[note of attention if you plan on taking a lot of gelatin : it is an important source of Arginine with the highest amount per total g of protein out of all food sources I've looked at]

Has nothing to do with protein... it is only fat blunting the spike.

OP
Light

Light

adding glycine to any protein-rich meals (as in whole milk too) would generally be good as we've seen that blocking Serotonin during protein feeding has doubled maximum lifespan, and more effective with 1g of Tyrosine (or Phenylalanine) and Lysine which are direct competitors of Tryptophan and Arginine uptake respectively
I assume you mean doubling the life span of rats/mice, but still, for one simple change in diet that's pretty friggin impressive.
Do you have an idea of any human studies along these veins?

It looks like a liter (=1 quart) of goat milk has a good balance of amino acids:
upload_2018-11-4_13-56-42-png.11162

Plus add to that a few tsp gelatin and you're in the sweet spot... Unless the "1g of Tyrosine (or Phenylalanine) and Lysine" are for rodents too, in which case you'd need alot more.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-4_13-56-42.png
    upload_2018-11-4_13-56-42.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 218

Elephanto

Has nothing to do with protein... it is only fat blunting the spike.
You're still storing approximately the same amount of Tryptophan in both cases. For instance, turkey meals are often rich in fat and are still known to induce sleepiness. In long term it has all to do with protein, as you can significantly decrease your tryptophan levels by competing for absorption at every meals and this will affect your basal Serotonin levels and factors into the intensity of negative effects from the ingestion of Tryptophan or any serotogenic action. I also put weight in Palmitic Acid's anti-cortisol effect playing an important role but that should be verified by combining skim milk with coconut oil to see if the effect is the same.

@Light No human studies on lifespan but it has been shown to blunt cortisol-induced TSH elevation (presumably being anti-cortisol in general) at very low doses (7mg/kg human equivalent), which I prefer for glycine. The thing is that in ranges of 2-6g it has been shown to trigger MTOR (related to cancer and decreased lifespan) and DHT which isn't free of negative effects either. I also perceived a negative effect on hair in such doses. So using several amino acids as a strategy to limit tryptophan absorption allows to not take too much of one. In my experience I find that limiting total protein intake remains the most convenient way (thus also limiting Methionine, Cysteine, Arginine, Aspartic Acid and Glutamic Acid, which also have negative effects on lifespan, neurological health and cancer) and I only perceived beneficial effects from it. The main potential issue I hypothesize is that protein intake is the major source of sulphur in most people's diet and sulphur has detoxifying, anti-bacterial and organ-decalcifying functions which ends up restricting Estrogen, Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine etc. You can address this by using pure sulphur, Taurine, MSM, onions, broccoli, etc regularly. Interestingly, onions consumption has a strong negative correlation with several types of cancer.

Many quotes by Peat on the negative effects of certain Amino Acids, this one for instance :
Pregnenolone and progesterone protect against nerve damage (5) by the excitotoxic amino acids (glutamic acid, aspartic acid, monosodium glutamate, aspartame, etc.), while estrogen (6) and cortisol (7) are nerve-destroying, acting through the excitotoxic amino acids.
As you can see, limiting protein intake would have a significant impact on Glutamic Acid levels.

About goat milk, it is relatively high in Neu5Gc which could be a factor in increased heart disease and diabetes risks and inflammation levels from red meat consumption.
Neu5Gc is also present in significant amounts in goat and sheep milk (unlike cow milk), as well as in certain fish egg products such as caviar
antigen–antibody interaction is hypothesized to lead to chronic inflammation termed xenosialitis that potentially promote cancer
A red meat-derived glycan promotes inflammation and cancer progression. - PubMed - NCBI

No the doses I've mentionned aren't for rodents, it is about achieving an high ratio of either Tyrosine/Tryptophan or Lysine/Arginine which will compete for absorption. So it is based on surpassing the amount of Tryptophan/Arginine you would get from a 30g protein meal, just a slight variation can be beneficial so they are pretty safe numbers. Like for instance getting your protein exclusively from rice is problematic since it is just slightly lower in Lysine than most protein sources which will produce an undesirable systemic Lysine/Arginine ratio. So in traditional cultures, the meal wouldn't be complete without combining it with legumes which are slightly high in Lysine.

Last edited:
OP
Light

Light

The main potential issue I hypothesize is that protein intake is the major source of sulphur in most people's diet and sulphur has detoxifying, anti-bacterial and organ-decalcifying functions which ends up restricting Estrogen, Cortisol, Serotonin, Histamine etc. You can address this by using pure sulphur, Taurine, MSM, onions, broccoli, etc regularly.
Yeah, I bought organic broccoli seeds a while ago and make sprouts from time to time, they've been shown to be very good for liver detoxification.

Regarding the low protein - Peat claims medium to high protein intake is necessary for proper liver function, or do you attribute that property of protein solely to the sulphur?

The thing is that in ranges of 2-6g it has been shown to trigger MTOR
Are you referring here to glycine?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals