Peating Really Makes Me Wanna Smoke

D

danishispsychic

smoking raises progesterone so possibly when peating, you are releasing a lot of estrogen and your body wants to balance it out with smoking ?

OP
Light

Light

smoking raises progesterone so possibly when peating, you are releasing a lot of estrogen and your body wants to balance it out with smoking ?
Interesting, why would peating be releasing estrogen? I thought the whole point was the opposite?

OP
Light

Light

It could be because of endotoxin.
I have really bad digestion so almost certain that endotoxines are an issue,
but that would be a pre-peating issue, doesn't explain the sudden urge.

Desire to smoke seems to be related to a general increase in wanting to live,
just an hour ago I had two thoughts in my head: "wanna smoke" and "wanna f*ck",
unfortunately I quit smoking 9 years ago and i'm very very single :(

D

danishispsychic

Interesting, why would peating be releasing estrogen? I thought the whole point was the opposite?
detoxing from stored pufa / getting rid of estro in the tissues , detox .

Elephanto

@Light Btw if you doubted the opioid effect of cocoa, here's some papers you might find interesting. Maybe something to consider isolating to assess its effect.

Dark chocolate receptors: epicatechin-induced cardiac protection is dependent on δ-opioid receptor stimulation

It is also routinely high in Aluminium, a neurotoxic metalloestrogen (sure its polyphenols are neuroprotective but with temporary effects whereas heavy metals accumulate in the body over time; and these polyphenols do not counteract on estrogenic effects of Al)
The mean Al concentration in chocolate was 9.2 +/- 7.5 mg kg(-1), and individual values were correlated with the per cent of cocoa in samples (Y = 0.63 + 0.27X, r = 0.78, p < 0.0001).
Evaluation of aluminium concentrations in samples of chocolate and beverages by electrothermal atomic absorption spectrometry. - PubMed - NCBI
Adjusted odds ratios were also elevated for grain product desserts, American cheese, chocolate pudding or beverages, salt and chewing gum. However, the odds ratio was not elevated for tea consumption.
A preliminary study of dietary aluminium intake and risk of Alzheimer's disease. - PubMed - NCBI

As for hair density/quality, generally Nitric Oxide inhibiting substances are very effective in my experience (Magnesium, MSM/sulphur, Zinc, Niacinamide, Meth Blue, B12, anti-Endotoxins) while Nitric Oxide raising agents have for me consistently produced negative effects (Cocoa, high dose Theanine, Tongkat Ali, excess Iron, etc).
Cocoa flavanols: effects on vascular nitric oxide and blood pressure

Effect of dark chocolate on nitric oxide serum levels and blood pressure in prehypertension subjects. - PubMed - NCBI

Broken man

I have really bad digestion so almost certain that endotoxines are an issue,
but that would be a pre-peating issue, doesn't explain the sudden urge.

Desire to smoke seems to be related to a general increase in wanting to live,
just an hour ago I had two thoughts in my head: "wanna smoke" and "wanna f*ck",
unfortunately I quit smoking 9 years ago and i'm very very single :(
It is from histamine, I had it too. I went from anti smoker to vaping 4 mg of nicotine without problems. What I want to say is that nicotine is better histamine antagonist than cyproheptadine for me.

OP
Light

Light

It is also routinely high in Aluminium, a neurotoxic metalloestrogen (sure its polyphenols are neuroprotective but with temporary effects whereas heavy metals accumulate in the body over time; and these polyphenols do not counteract on estrogenic effects of Al)
Damn, I never heard of Al in cocoa, been really relying on chocolate for between meals munchies...
Do you think that everything that has an opioid effect necessarily slows down digestion?
In the article you posted they claim the opioid effect is heart protective, not the worst thing...
It seems everything is a mixed bag and you kinda have to tade off - accept the good with the bad,
I haven't seen anything yet that is only positive, I mean a food that only nourishes and does no harm.

As for hair density/quality, generally Nitric Oxide inhibiting substances are very effective in my experience
Here's an example of that duality - I have spent most of the year doing the Dr Esselstyn diet - whole plant vegan, and they tout NO as essential for vascular health and flexibility.

What I want to say is that nicotine is better histamine antagonist than cyproheptadine for me
Wow, never heard of that. My neighbour growing up had to start using an inhaler after a few years of smoking, so I don't think it was anti-histaminic for him...
Did you have allergic reactions go away after you started vaping?
BTW, what else is in the vapes other than nicotine?

D

danishispsychic

I see. Would vitamin E help with that?
I would say yes and also if you want to vape Nicotine for a while , it's pretty awesome. I like Nicotine River as a supplier. Just make sure you have a good vaping pen and keep it super clean -

dreamcatcher

Just looked up "cooked sprouted lentils" in cronometer, other than high starch, it does look very good.
I am just coming off a whole plant vegan diet, and they are a staple, but Peat seems to put them together with beans.
What specifically do you mean by:
I eat cooked sprouted lentils once a week.

Last edited:
OP
Light

Light

I would say yes and also if you want to vape Nicotine for a while , it's pretty awesome. I like Nicotine River as a supplier. Just make sure you have a good vaping pen and keep it super clean -
Thought about vaping, never tried it, but since I was so addicted to cigarettes for many years i'm afraid to get hooked on anything again,
also not sure what else is in it other than nicotine.

Last edited:

dreamcatcher

How do you cook them?
I'm thinking of pressure cooking them for a good long time to get rid of lactins.
I cook the sprouted lentils in a pressure cooker to make sure they're very soft and digestible.
I put the lentils, water, onion, grated ginger and garlic, cubed butternut squash, carrot, tomato puree, a bit of tomato sauce and perhaps a smaller potato and salt in the cooker and cook it until the lentils are soft and the liquid becomes thicker, like stew. At the end I add 2-3 cubes of frozen spinach and cook the stew without the lid until the spinach is defrosted. Most of the ingredients are organic. Don't forget to add some butter before serving it:)

OP
Light

Light

I cook the sprouted lentils in a pressure cooker to make sure they're very soft and digestible.
I put the lentils, water, onion, grated ginger and garlic, cubed butternut squash, carrot, tomato puree, a bit of tomato sauce and perhaps a smaller potato and salt in the cooker and cook it until the lentils are soft and the liquid becomes thicker, like stew. At the end I add 2-3 cubes of frozen spinach and cook the stew without the lid until the spinach is defrosted. Most of the ingredients are organic. Don't forget to add some butter before serving it:)
Mmm... that sounds like a good winter dish :)

lampofred

Hi Guys,
I quit smoking about 9 years ago, after having smoked a pack (20 cigarettes) a day for 13 years before that.
During the first year or two after quitting I had moments during the day of wanting a smoke, but with time it went away and even disgusted me.
Started peating around 3 weeks ago, and after a few days I was DYING for a cigarette.
I have no doubt that the change of diet caused it, but I don't understand WHY that would be.
Any explaination?

Have you suddenly upped your milk intake? I suspect a craving to smoke in response to an increased milk intake is a protective instinct to protect yourself against developing Parkinson's. I don't know what it is about American milk, but I think it might introduce bad bacteria/intestinal problems which in the long-run will cause Parkinson's disease, and tobacco smoking will protect against that by reducing constipation. There are several studies showing a strongly increased risk of developing Parkinson's associated with an increased milk intake, and nicotine (along with coffee) are the two most strongly protective substances against that disease.

I got the same craving at first, but over time, I developed "willpower" and made the cravings go away. But I ended up getting pretty strong Parkinson's symptoms that I'm slowly beginning to reverse by stopping milk intake and drinking 10 cups of coffee a day. I'm starting to think "willpower" when it comes to drugs/food cravings/etc. does much more harm than good, but obviously it would be better to do things to reduce the will to smoke so that you don't have to rely on willpower than to actually resume smoking.

Also, to the people who are smoking just for the anti-estrogen, pro-progesterone effects, why not just take some more thyroid?

Last edited:

Elephanto

Damn, I never heard of Al in cocoa, been really relying on chocolate for between meals munchies...
Do you think that everything that has an opioid effect necessarily slows down digestion?
In the article you posted they claim the opioid effect is heart protective, not the worst thing...
It seems everything is a mixed bag and you kinda have to tade off - accept the good with the bad,
I haven't seen anything yet that is only positive, I mean a food that only nourishes and does no harm.

Here's an example of that duality - I have spent most of the year doing the Dr Esselstyn diet - whole plant vegan, and they tout NO as essential for vascular health and flexibility.
There's no such duality, NO is a vasodilatating crutch that in long-term (or even shortly past the temporary effect) promotes the conditions that lead to vascular and tissue calcification in the first place. CO2 is the essential factor of vascular health and the main antagonist of intracellular calcium (which itself causes the death of cells). Promoting blood and lymph circulation through daily movement (wether moderate cardio sessions or yoga exercises like "shaking the tree") is also an underlooked factor.

“The basic control of blood flow in the brain is the result of the relaxation of the wall of blood vessels in the presence of carbon dioxide, which is produced in proportion to the rate at which oxygen and glucose are being metabolically combined by active cells. In the inability of cells to produce CO2 at a normal rate, nitric oxide synthesis in blood vessels can cause them to dilate. The mechanism of relaxation by NO is very different, however, involving the inhibition of mitochondrial energy production (Barron, et al., 2001).

Nitric oxide is increasingly seen as an important factor in nerve degeneration (Doherty, 2011). Nitric oxide activates processes (Obukuro, et al., 2013) that can lead to cell death.

All cell death is characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium….” “Increase of cytoplasmic free calcium may therefore be called ‘the final common path’ of cell disease and cell death. Aging as a background of diseases is also characterized by an increase of intracellular calcium.

Carbon dioxide has antioxidant effects, and many other stabilizing actions, including protection against hypoxia and the excitatory effects of intracellular calcium and inflammation (Baev, et al., 1978, 1995; Bari, et al., 1996; Brzecka, 2007; Kogan, et al., 1994; Malyshev, et al., 1995).
Respiration and carbon dioxide are the basic antagonists of the PTH.
(PTH being a main factor in the loss of calcium from bones and uptake into tissues and vessels, the famous increase in Intracellular Calcium. Serotonin, Estrogen, Cortisol and IL-6 also promotes PTH, Magnesium is another inhibitor of PTH and NO)
Increased intracellular calcium, in association with excess nitric oxide and excitatory amino acids, is involved in several neurodegenerative diseases, including ALS, Alzheimers disease, Parkinsons disease, Huntingtons chorea, and epilepsy.
Nitric Oxide also causes hypoxia.
Nitric oxide, as a pro-inflammatory free radical, stimulates the peroxidation of the unsaturated fats. Both NO and serotonin inhibit mitochondrial respiration, shifting metabolism toward glycolysis.”

Ray Peat, PhD on Nitric Oxide – Functional Performance Systems (FPS)

Protective CO2 and aging

Just the same as you'll find studies claiming that fish oils are protective because of their immunosuppressive effect, or that Nitric Oxide is essential to vascular health. Faulty science that fails to harmonize isolated, temporary effects with a larger context that is significantly more determinant in health. Being daily on opioid peptides isn't a sound trade off in my opinion, which is why I suggest you should try isolating them to see if it is actually part of the root of your issues (where net benefits of such substances aren't present despite having other beneficial effects). Yes all opioids would slow down digestion, lower temps and metabolism, increase Endotoxins-related damage by triggering TLR4 (Endotoxins chronically increase Cortisol, Estrogen, Nitric Oxide), being neurotoxic by triggering Histamine and induce an autism-like mental state. Now the actual outcome would depend on your current economy, like if you're usually not triggering opioid receptors then the occasional times you do you might get net benefits out of other traits of such substances, which is why the Peat diet often starts with perceived benefits. For instance, a phytoestrogen with anti-androgenic effects but also antioxidant, anti-bacterial and anti-estrogenic effects usually would have a net negative effect for a man with already low androgens but a net positive one for a man with high androgens, or have a net positive one in moderation but net negative when taken daily since the trade-off becomes too negative.

Last edited:

lampofred

@lampofred

Since the OP is new to Ray Peat, you must also say that your theory about milk consumption is not in line with Ray Peat's views.

I wouldn't really say it's my own theory.

Dr. Peat has said certain brands of milk might have bad bacteria due to the cows' diet, which might lead to poor digestion/intestinal issues. He has also said that Parkinson's starts in the gut, and that the reason he suspects nicotine is protective against the disease is that it reduces constipation. The only thing is that he said those things in different places, and all I did was make a connection.

I'm not saying milk inherently will cause Parkinson's, just that it could be problematic if you're not digesting it well, which aligns with what Dr. Peat says.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals