Peating Really Makes Me Wanna Smoke

OP
Light

Light

I used to have 30-40 grams of geletine per day, it didn’t change my joy for smoking.
I'm not sure what @Hugh Johnson meant.
I don't know what the role of Glycine in metabolism is, other than providing protein, and that it's supposed to help heal the gut's permeability.

Elephanto

@Light Soaking with bicarbonate sodium also reduces other anti-nutrients like Lectins to very low levels. A potential issue would be fermentation when sprouted, which doesn't happen when it is soaked in the refrigerator. I don't find any issue with it although I don't consume them in very large quantities and avoid some types (like red kidney beans and chickpeas which are high in fodmaps although this is reduced by soaking, broad beans which can act as oxidants or soybeans that are very high in phytoestrogens; from research ideal ones seem to be lentils and Adzuki beans). I perceive and think that they have net benefits from their high antioxidant potential, being good sources of Zinc, Copper, Molybdenum, Magnesium, Manganese, Folate, Potassium and from having anti-estrogenic effects by triggering ER-Beta (which is what most anti-estrogens used against prostate and breast cancers do, and the gene is found low in people with those cancers; essentially it opposes the pro-angiogenic effects of ER-Alpha). In epidemiological studies their consumption has only been related to positive outcomes from what I've seen. I mainly perceive reduced estrogenic looks and overall healthier looks and hair when I consume them regularly.

OP
Light

Light

Just looked up "cooked sprouted lentils" in cronometer, other than high starch, it does look very good.
I am just coming off a whole plant vegan diet, and they are a staple, but Peat seems to put them together with beans.
What specifically do you mean by:
reduced estrogenic looks and overall healthier looks and hair

Elephanto

@Light Yeah I know that Peat is concerned with legumes but I think it comes mainly from analytical evidence of raw beans, and their effect on population is significantly contrasting with those theoretical arguments (although some legumes types are probably unhealthy). The blue zones have had a method to prepare them safely for a long time, I think the soaking should be of at least 24 hours. Canned legumes should be avoided since the cans are lined with BPA and the added citric acid may leech heavy metals. I also think that their net benefits reside in moderate consumption (say 1/3 of a plate).

Mainly less puffy face, better complexion, lack of puffiness in nipples and flat pectorals, deeper voice, muscles feel stronger and more reactive to contraction, better libido and healthier looking sperm. It isn't the only anti-estrogenic substance/strategy I do but I find from isolation that they really add to the shift I've been experiencing.

OP
Light

Light

@Light Yeah I know that Peat is concerned with legumes but I think it comes mainly from analytical evidence of raw beans, and their effect on population is significantly contrasting with those theoretical arguments (although some legumes types are probably unhealthy). The blue zones have had a method to prepare them safely for a long time, I think the soaking should be of at least 24 hours. Canned legumes should be avoided since the cans are lined with BPA and the added citric acid may leech heavy metals. I also think that their net benefits reside in moderate consumption (say 1/3 of a plate).

Mainly less puffy face, better complexion, lack of puffiness in nipples and flat pectorals, deeper voice, muscles feel stronger and more reactive to contraction, better libido and healthier looking sperm. It isn't the only anti-estrogenic substance/strategy I do but I find from isolation that they really add to the shift I've been experiencing.

I'm definitely leaning to adding them to my next batch of soup.
Especially when you say "muscles feel stronger and more reactive to contraction", as I have neurological issues and really see a link of things that improve general feeling with improvement in muscle reaction time and strength.
When I first started peating about three weeks ago I had that improvement (along with highet temps, increased libido, increased hope and desire to smoke), but unfortunately these effects went away. My temp went down a whole 1 degree Celsius in just a few days :(

Runenight201

@Elephanto Do you soak your beans in the fridge or outside the fridge? Do you eyeball the sodium bicarbonate to water to bean ratio, or is there a specific ratio that you find best?

Runenight201

@Light Temperature is a tricky thing but don't get too caught up in it. Focus on energy, sleep, mental clarity, motivation, and the temps should track along with it.

My temps are highly variable, being as low as 97.1 in the morning, but will upswing to 98.6 after a big meal. Calories, salt, and protein really help my temps.

OP
Light

Light

@Light Temperature is a tricky thing but don't get too caught up in it. Focus on energy, sleep, mental clarity, motivation, and the temps should track along with it.

My temps are highly variable, being as low as 97.1 in the morning, but will upswing to 98.6 after a big meal. Calories, salt, and protein really help my temps.
Thanks @Runenight201 , it just sucks that in the beginning things seemed move in the right direction and so quickly stopped...

Elephanto

@Runenight201 Yes inside the fridge, like I mentioned sprouting can only happen at room temperature which involves bacterial fermentation. Avoiding fermented food and yeast has a noticeable impact on my looks, like a single yeasty beer (microbrew kind) makes me look subtly worst the next day unless I took some antiseptics right after. I do eyeball it, at worst I put too much at times which makes them taste a bit too salty even after properly rinsing before cooking. I'm guessing getting more dietary bicarbonate is a positive though.

@Light This improvement at first seems pretty common and I experienced it too. I'm tempted to mainly explain it by the opioid effect of dairy although there are definitely other changes that are positive for health. This is what opioids feel like at first by inhibiting Cortisol, but it doesn't take a long time for its negative effects to catch up and personally it took me a long time to even notice its mental effect since it was so chronic, I wouldn't experience a different state to compare.

edit : Just to clarify as I'm not contradicting myself, I noticed negative effects on looks and cold hands/feets in a short time although not necessarily associating it with dairy (and probably because most of us in modern times tend to follow intellectual dogmas more than we listen to our bodies) but less so the mental state which only became apparent after dropping dairy and finding about casomorphins.

Last edited:
No stomach feeling, but an over all good feeling. Libido up, relaxed and feel a little like I want to participate in life.
@jet9 I didn't eliminate starches at all, I love bread and crackers and I thought if I tried to eliminate starches I would surely fail, so I figured i'll do what I can for now, and if things get to where I feel stronger (mentally) i'll try and minimize starches.
How do you see the starch roll in this?
That you have no gut feelings with the urge to smoke means the neuroactive gut-brain connection with addiction of a substance is not present anymore so that the physical addiction of smoking is gone. And that your craving is pure psychological.
So, the brain / psyche still has got strong neuronal connections going that associated good feelings with the psychoactive effects of the tobacco.

The use of starch is associated with insulin spikes that also can be addictive via the mesolimbic dopamine reward system and this can be neurologically linked to the effects that smoking gave you.

OP
Light

Light

That you have no gut feelings with the urge to smoke means the neuroactive gut-brain connection with addiction of a substance is not present anymore so that the physical addiction of smoking is gone. And that your craving is pure psychological.
So, the brain / psyche still has got strong neuronal connections going that associated good feelings with the psychoactive effects of the tobacco.

The use of starch is associated with insulin spikes that also can be addictive via the mesolimbic dopamine reward system and this can be neurologically linked to the effects that smoking gave you.
Interesting stuff.

OP
Light

Light

@Runenight201 Yes inside the fridge, like I mentioned sprouting can only happen at room temperature which involves bacterial fermentation. Avoiding fermented food and yeast has a noticeable impact on my looks, like a single yeasty beer (microbrew kind) makes me look subtly worst the next day unless I took some antiseptics right after. I do eyeball it, at worst I put too much at times which makes them taste a bit too salty even after properly rinsing before cooking. I'm guessing getting more dietary bicarbonate is a positive though.

@Light This improvement at first seems pretty common and I experienced it too. I'm tempted to mainly explain it by the opioid effect of dairy although there are definitely other changes that are positive for health. This is what opioids feel like at first by inhibiting Cortisol, but it doesn't take a long time for its negative effects to catch up and personally it took me a long time to even notice its mental effect since it was so chronic, I wouldn't experience a different state to compare.

edit : Just to clarify as I'm not contradicting myself, I noticed negative effects on looks and cold hands/feets in a short time although not necessarily associating it with dairy (and probably because most of us in modern times tend to follow intellectual dogmas more than we listen to our bodies) but less so the mental state which only became apparent after dropping dairy and finding about casomorphins.
Yeah, the dairy goes, at least for now.
BTW, I had easily sprouted lentils and Adzuki in the fridge over 4-5 days, but only damp - not wet, and no salt/bicarbonate.

Elephanto

@Light Bicarbonate sodium is anti-bacterial which helps prevent it and it's supposed to be soaked in a large body of water. I usually add some when a part of the water is absorbed. But I stand corrected if it can happen, I had read that it doesn't happen in the refrigerator and from experience it definitely at least slows the process because I've never seen it happen whereas at room temperature it happens in a few days.

Elephanto

By this logic, sugar is just as addictive and shown to trigger Dopamine. Though that wouldn't be seen as a negative by Peat since he recommends many Dopamine-triggering substances.

The role of dopamine D2 receptors in the nucleus accumbens during taste-aversive learning and memory extinction after long-term sugar consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

Dopamine D1 and opioid receptor antagonists differentially reduce the acquisition and expression of fructose-conditioned flavor preferences in BALB... - PubMed - NCBI

Meals in general trigger Dopamine, and the Amino Acids in protein are also insulinergic. Starch with low Glycemic Index like basmati rice, combined with a bit of fat, should also spike Insulin much less.

Last edited:
By this logic, sugar is just as addictive and shown to trigger Dopamine. Though that wouldn't be seen as a negative by Peat since he recommends many Dopamine-triggering substances.

The role of dopamine D2 receptors in the nucleus accumbens during taste-aversive learning and memory extinction after long-term sugar consumption. - PubMed - NCBI

Dopamine D1 and opioid receptor antagonists differentially reduce the acquisition and expression of fructose-conditioned flavor preferences in BALB... - PubMed - NCBI

Meals in general trigger Dopamine, and the Amino Acids in protein are also insulinergic. Starch with low Glycemic Index like basmati rice, combined with a bit of fat, should also spike Insulin much less.

I think it's different kind of dopamine rewards gotten from substances or food that react to our taste buds than others that do not and we learn to get addicted to by habit.

Yeah indeed, in the case of sugar, I think that artificially over feeding on sweetened sugar product can lead to addiction by screwing with thresholds that should normally trigger satiety, like is so with fruit that triggers a signal of I have eaten enough, maybe with it's fiber content.
Recently I read about high fat diets that can cause overeating and obesity by screwing with the modulation of dopamine D2 receptor reward system via DNA methyltransferases (DNMTs). And coffee / caffeic acid and epigallocatechin, are known to act as DNMT inhibitors [12, 13]. In theory coffee and tea could be used to induce satiety and reduce addictive overeating. Also interesting in Ashwagandha there is a leptin normalizing substance that reduces over eating in obese subjects, were they have increased leptin levels and decreased satiety leading to over feeding. link

Impact of brown rice-specific γ-oryzanol on epigenetic modulation of dopamine D2 receptors in brain striatum in high-fat-diet-induced obesity in mice
Male C57BL/6J mice fed an HFD were orally treated with γ-oryzanol, and striatal levels of molecules involved in D2R signalling were evaluated. The impact of γ-oryzanol on DNA methylation of the D2R promoter and subsequent changes in preferences for dietary fat was examined. In addition, the effects of 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine, a potent inhibitor of DNA methyltransferases (DNMTs), on food preference, D2R signalling and the levels of DNMTs in the striatum were investigated. The inhibitory effects of γ-oryzanol on the activity of DNMTs were enzymatically evaluated in vitro.

In striatum from mice fed an HFD, the production of D2Rs was decreased via an increase in DNA methylation of the promoter region of the D2R. Oral administration of γ-oryzanol decreased the expression and activity of DNMTs, thereby restoring the level of D2Rs in the striatum. Pharmacological inhibition of DNMTs by 5-aza-2′-deoxycytidine also ameliorated the preference for dietary fat. Consistent with these findings, enzymatic in vitro assays demonstrated that γ-oryzanol inhibited the activity of DNMTs.

Go to:
Conclusions/interpretation
We demonstrated that γ-oryzanol ameliorates HFD-induced DNA hypermethylation of the promoter region of D2R in the striatum of mice. Our experimental paradigm highlights γ-oryzanol as a promising antiobesity substance with the distinct property of being a novel epigenetic modulator.
Impact of brown rice-specific γ-oryzanol on epigenetic modulation of dopamine D2 receptors in brain striatum in high-fat-diet-induced obesity in mice

If one would habitually smoke a cigarette after eating to satisfaction the brain would make new neuronal connections that program it to expect to get the psychoactive effect of smoking every time after a big meal or even with artificially high sugar consumption between meals.
Then in the situation where the cigarette is not smoked after a meal or much sweet candy the brain can trigger a craving for smoking which is not uncommon under smokers to get a fix after meals.

Elephanto

@General Orange
Endotoxins, Cortisol and inflammatory cytokines (tnf-alpha, IL-1, IL-6) are known to increase Leptin levels, maybe they're partly related to this effect from Ashwagandha. Estrogen also increases while Testosterone decreases it, so general strategies aimed at all these factors should be effective. Minerals like Selenium and Zinc have effects on all. I wanted to see if Estrogen reduction was part of the effect of Ashwaghanda but apparently it can significantly increase Estrogen levels :
WS treatment in the control group caused a significant increase (P<0.05) in the estrogen level (86.89 pg/ mL)
Effect of Withania somnifera (L.) Dunal on Sex Hormone and Gonadotropin Levels in Addicted Male Rats

But yeah you're right about the conditioning of smoking after a meal. It can also be an urge to inhibit Serotonin when there is gut irritation and an impaired intestinal barrier.

OP
Light

Light

and the Amino Acids in protein are also insulinergic
That's definitely true.
When I did keto, protein powder threw me off ketosis faster than starch, and to a far lower blood ketone level

Last edited:
OP
Light

Light

If one would habitually smoke a cigarette after eating to satisfaction the brain would make new neuronal connections that program it to expect to get the psychoactive effect of smoking every time after a big meal or even with artificially high sugar consumption between meals.
Then in the situation where the cigarette is not smoked after a meal or much sweet candy the brain can trigger a craving for smoking which is not uncommon under smokers to get a fix after meals.
The hardest time when I most missed smoking (in the year or two after quitting) was after meals,
while there were other habitual connections with smoking, this one, for some reason, was the most powerful.
Second hardest was during good conversation with a friend...
During other things like reading/studying/driving etc, even though I had smoked while doing them for many years, the urge for a smoke wasn't as bad.
Just made me think, food and human connections, both necessary for survival, maybe anything linked to them creates a deeper impression on the brain...

SOMO

Nicotine, which is not traditionally thought of as Fat-Soluble, unlike THC, actually is.

When I lost a lot of weight, all of a sudden I got nicotine cravings after not smoking for YEARS (went cold turkey with no issue. Just kind of gave up the habit.)
I believe losing weight caused some of the nicotine stuck in my cells (and memory) to be released into my bloodstream.

OP
Light

Light

Nicotine, which is not traditionally thought of as Fat-Soluble, unlike THC, actually is.

When I lost a lot of weight, all of a sudden I got nicotine cravings after not smoking for YEARS (went cold turkey with no issue. Just kind of gave up the habit.)
I believe losing weight caused some of the nicotine stuck in my cells (and memory) to be released into my bloodstream.
I lost a lot of weight on keto, and I also did a 20 day fast, neither made me wanna smoke.
But during both I was very weak.
Did you have lots of energy while losing weight?