How To Support The Body Whilst/after Quitting Smoking

DannyIrons™

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice, my girlfriend has been smoking quite heavily (nearly a pack) everyday for 2 years and is now in the process of quitting. She can be quite a stressful person as it is and she's gone about it cold turkey, which maybe isn't the best approach. I've heard that after a while the thyroid is running off this nicotine usage, and she has started eating quite a lot of food, but she's been craving not so nutritious foods...KFC, croissants, cakes etc...

Does anyone have any advice about how she can overcome this in a safe way? She eats a pretty normal diet, lots of dairy (cottage cheese, milk, other cheeses, yoghurt). She likes her coffee, she has quite a lot of chicken, which I know isn't the best fatty option. But I'm glad that she's eating a lot instead of not eating at all.

I don't want to force Peating onto her right now, but gentle suggestions that will make it easier for her would be great, and especially help her metabolism and thyroid, and psychological health.

Cheers folks

Jsaute21

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a little advice, my girlfriend has been smoking quite heavily (nearly a pack) everyday for 2 years and is now in the process of quitting. She can be quite a stressful person as it is and she's gone about it cold turkey, which maybe isn't the best approach. I've heard that after a while the thyroid is running off this nicotine usage, and she has started eating quite a lot of food, but she's been craving not so nutritious foods...KFC, croissants, cakes etc...

Does anyone have any advice about how she can overcome this in a safe way? She eats a pretty normal diet, lots of dairy (cottage cheese, milk, other cheeses, yoghurt). She likes her coffee, she has quite a lot of chicken, which I know isn't the best fatty option. But I'm glad that she's eating a lot instead of not eating at all.

I don't want to force Peating onto her right now, but gentle suggestions that will make it easier for her would be great, and especially help her metabolism and thyroid, and psychological health.

Cheers folks
I am a big nicotine advocate through high quality Swedish snus. However, I take several hiatuses annually, and the best remedies I have found during those periods is good nutrition (orange juice, enough good protein etc), caffeine through nutrabio pills, @haidut’s diamant, and @haidut’s oxidal. During these periods, I never crave tobacco unless I am drinking alcohol. I highly recommend them as it is apparent to me I have absolutely no withdrawals when consuming them.

Herbie

I have an affair with tobacco each winter and found cold turkey is a challenge and using nicotine gum to be very easy to stop smoking and start the gum, it prevents cravings and general ups and downs from stopping tobacco and after a month of nicotine gum, it’s easy to stop the gum.

Jeek

Just quit myself, I found niacinamide helpful (I do 4x500mg spread throughout day). I've used nicotine gum on long flights, works very well.

OP
DannyIrons™

DannyIrons™

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I might try some niacinamide as I also take it myself. Would you say gum is better than patches?

Any ideas what she can do for thyroid and metabolism health, I'll see what I can do to get her to reduce PUFA also

X3CyO

I second the niacinamide.

Many smoke to relieve gut irritation. Perhaps sticking to more easily digested foods could help and of course staying away from processed food. Possibly a lower fiber diet.

If she loves icecream buying one without gums would help (although milk in general ramps up acne).

picking up a new habit/goal. something fun that requires you to not smoke. Anything involving cardiovascular health that you wanna get better at but not stressful like hiking or biking.

Why does she smoke?

Addressing problems directly can help, replacing triggers with a better response.

I used to smoke because I thought it made me cool, and was something to do while partying so I wouldnt ever be in a position to drunk drive. I used it as a way to make friends (people do this with drugs in general, but its a false path that ends in craziness and loneliness). Gut irritation. To be like the people I looked up to. Boredom.

After addressing these problems and replacing them with better solutions and a skill that I want to improve but smoking hinders, I smoke maybe a cigar once every other month. Same for coffee and cacao.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals