Smoking And Thyroid Function

Diokine

I would definitely second the importance of the calcium-phosphorus ratio. The picture of metabolism that I see has calcium metabolism as one of the most important factors in whole body energy generation and good health. Using estrogen as an example, which has the action of shifting the ratio of intracellular calcium higher and has long term cellular restructuring effects. This increase in calcium swells the cell, causing it to take up water. These shifts in electrolytes also change the local electronic state, and this changes the way proteins assemble in the cell. Proteins like actin polymerize, forming long tube like structures which have incredible electrical properties themselves and which allow the cells to physically and electrically restructure quickly. My understanding is that the action of estrogen-like compounds modulates the rate of polymerization and changes the way reacts to stimulus or stress on a fundamental level. Calcium is a major player in this sense.

Let's look at a prototypical stress like endotoxin - the presence of LPS in the bloodstream is exceptionally irritating, so much so that we've developed resonant electrical structures in our cells that can detect it directly. In some sense it becomes difficult to distinguish between the direct toxicity of LPS and the inflammation caused by our response to it, but blocking some of the primary immune reactions like nitric oxide production is shown to reduce the toxic effects to cells. I think LPS causes direct injury to cell membranes and is very disruptive electrically, causing rapid actin depolymerization and an abrupt change in the potential of the cell. Instantly sodium and potassium are lost from the cell, and it takes up calcium and water.

Well in a situation less drastic than the example above, waterlogged cells in a bad environment are unable to generate proper energy flux to draw calcium out of the cell. Sodium is lost and the the production of energy drops further. Tissue in this state is not responding to thyroid hormone properly, and very little CO2 is being produced. This is a bad way for cells to go. Like I said in the previous post, it is the job of the kidneys (and adrenal system) to make sure cells are not in a bad environment. Again, calcium is a major player in this sense. Phosphorus also, in the form of phosphate, directly controls the rate of polymerization of actin. The other electrolytes are also important of course, as well as steroid solubility and antioxidant / oxidant ratios. The kidneys though, are incredibly important for maintaining these ratios, and my experience is that chronic smoking will effect the kidneys. Cigarette smoke has cadmium, which accumulates in the kideys - lots of other effects also.

Hi Denise, great threads on tobacco! This information has led me to some epiphanies about my own health, being a former tobacco user myself.

Has anyone here tried Indian Tobacco (Lobelia Inflata) tinctures? I see this herb mentioned on the forum in a RP interview. I have some at home that I forgot about. I'm going to experiment with it. I think for myself smoking tobacco helps my thyroid because it lowers the antibodies that are attacking it (never been tested for this though $$$). I wonder if the Lobelia incture would have the same effect for me (and others) without having to inhale smoke?

Lucenzo01

Caffeine pills eliminate tobacco cravings for me, so the connection tobacco-thyroid is right at least in my case. Tobacco has been prove to treat Hashimoto symptoms.

Caffeine pills eliminate tobacco cravings for me, so the connection tobacco-thyroid is right at least in my case. Tobacco has been prove to treat Hashimoto symptoms.

Funny thing is for me, I've been happily quit for over two years now. Never even thought about it much until recently. I've had to stop my occasional cannabis use because I'm looking to change employers and I noticed my voice getting horse and my energy levels in the gutter. Turns out that cannabis has similar effects on the immune system. My immune system is and always has been a mess. I have never been tested for thyroid antibodies specifically though. Just two cigarettes last night and I feel a LOT better today. My voice is clear and my concentration is back to normal. Something is up here. My hair has also been a lot worse over the last two years. That's why I came to this forum originally, hair loss. I never managed to have a healthy relationship with Tobacco. How ironic that I would try smoking it again for health reasons. xD

Last edited:

kayumochi

I have a coworker who quit many years ago, and she says she's never been the same since. I've read many similar reports online of people who say it gets better (if you work at it--not just by letting time pass) but I recall reading of only a couple people who said they felt totally normal again (after a good year or more). Not very encouraging...

Let me be me be your encouragement: It has been 15 years since I have had a cigarette and I feel better than just "normal" - I feel great and would never return to the hell of a tobacco addiction. Yet, I too have met people who quit years ago and say things like, "Cigarettes were the most satisfying thing ever." These people, I suspect, simply replaced one addiction with another.

raypeatclips

I crave cigarettes in winter as it starts to grow dark but as soon as spring comes the cravings disappear. I have been like this since I had my first cigarette aged around 15 a strong urge in winter and a complete disinterest the rest of the year. I dont find it difficult to not smoke at all, I've always thought the addictive aspect of tobacco was overrated.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals