P_G Doesn't Know What She's Doing, But She Sure Is Trying!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Re: P_G's PUFA Depletion (No Starch, Low Fat) Experiment!

Peata said:
You asked about snacks before bed. Some foods I have before bed without problem:

-1/2 string cheese and 1/2 banana or tiny box of raisins
-tiny box of raisins and 1 T. chocolate chips

For the stomach/GI issues, I like Pepto Bismol. And Pepcid, as haidut has talked about. I've been using 20 mg. in the morning. Also, Cyproheptadine seems to help people tolerate food better without GI problems.

:2cents

Isn't B-HCL the same as Pepcid? (As in, stimulating of the stomach acid?) 'Cause that didn't work...

EEEEEW! Pepto Bismol is... abysmal ;D
How can you get it down without vomiting out a pink rainbow?

These are good ideas... Maybe if I leave the little bit of fat that I consume for the evening (probably cheese) that could tip the scales in my favour.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

4peatssake said:
Peat's_Girl said:
WHERE IS THE HITLER MUSTACHE I DEMAND A HITLER MUSTACHE TO REFLECT THE CRUELTY OF PICKLES!
d562fe40253e1e357cf8fc32390e89bd.jpg

:P

No cutting corners on this >;D
That's a handle-bar mustache!

Amazoniac

Rarely those exclusion protocols yield the desired results.
I think the best approach is to consume the foods that you desire and just adjust the amount, to the most that you can tolerate without problems. Improve immunity and gradually increase to a normal amount of those problematic foods.
Eliminate food groups works well, until you reintroduce them..

4peatssake

What about skyr or greek yogurt? With some honey perhaps.
I like warm milk and honey before bed but that's liquid. Even a quarter cup helps and I never have to pee but that's never been an issue for me either.

I think I'd have stomach cramps too if I ate garlic and pickles. It could be the combination as you say.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Blossom said:
I laughed so hard I cried and really needed that today. Pboy said it perfectly, this is a wonderful community.

Me too! I think all this whimsy is curing my belly-ache ;D

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

4peatssake said:
I like warm milk and honey before bed but that's liquid. Even a quarter cup helps and I never have to pee but that's never been an issue for me either.

I think I'd have stomach cramps too if I ate garlic and pickles. It could be the combination as you say.

I think I'll have to salt the milk. The non-fat business really makes things difficult.

I did eat 6 raw cloves, so... Yeah two innocent pickles could have made...

WAIT A MINUTE.
OH NO...
INNOCENT MY ****!
SEE WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TO DO? PURE EVIL!

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Amazoniac said:
Rarely those exclusion protocols yield the desired results.
I think the best approach is to consume the foods that you desire and just adjust the amount, to the most that you can tolerate without problems. Improve immunity and gradually increase to a normal amount of those problematic foods.
Eliminate food groups works well, until you reintroduce them..

At some point, with all these crazy diet I did, I forgot which foods I tolerate... I probably need a few weeks on a steady diet with the same boring ol' foods/ meals, that way if I introduce something I know that that's the culprit.

What do you think are "safe" foods from a Peat perspective? I'm wracking my brain and all I could come up with is milk and honey, but milk could also cause issues for someone who's recovering from a Paleo diet...

Peata

Peat's_Girl said:
Isn't B-HCL the same as Pepcid? (As in, stimulating of the stomach acid?) 'Cause that didn't work...

These are good ideas... Maybe if I leave the little bit of fat that I consume for the evening (probably cheese) that could tip the scales in my favour.

Note: Pepcid = Famotidine

Interesting properties of the H2 antagonist famotidine
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6845&p=82760

Dopaminergic drugs treat ulcers better than acid-blockers
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6843

Famotidine is a powerful scavenger of nitric oxide (NO)
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6816&p=82633

Famotidine lowers PTH by almost 50%
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6813&p=82435

Famotidine increases glycogen, improves glucose metabolism
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6818&p=82432

As far as taste of Pepto Bismol -
I can down almost anything, liquids or handfuls of supplements - I'm just used to stuff and don't think about it, really. As far as Pepto, I now associate that creamy minty-sweet flavor with relief. When I was a kid, there was a round pink hard candy that we used to call Pepto Bismol candy because it tasted just like it. I guess it's not a horrible flavor to me.

Amazoniac

All the problematic vegetables can be throughly cooked at first and gradually shifting to raw. This strategy is very gentle.
I once consumed a VLC for a while and it was a disaster regarding gut health. It required me much persistance to overcome that discomfort (it can last months until adaptation).
Be aware if the food is severely problematic but at the same time judge and don't be discouraged just because it's giving you a bad reaction for now..
~1800cal/d doesn't seem enough for recovery. Even though I think that it looks great, just not enough.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

4peatssake said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqZ_HgI8KKk

9zcwPahesP-2.png

AWWW! 4PS! You love me so much you went ahead and drew one for me?

The video made my night ;D ;D ;D
It makes the gastric upset (almost) worth it.

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Peata said:
Peat's_Girl said:

Note: Pepcid = Famotidine

Interesting properties of the H2 antagonist famotidine
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6845&p=82760

Dopaminergic drugs treat ulcers better than acid-blockers
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6843

Famotidine is a powerful scavenger of nitric oxide (NO)
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6816&p=82633

Famotidine lowers PTH by almost 50%
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6813&p=82435

Famotidine increases glycogen, improves glucose metabolism
viewtopic.php?f=75&t=6818&p=82432

As far as taste of Pepto Bismol -
I can down almost anything, liquids or handfuls of supplements - I'm just used to stuff and don't think about it, really. As far as Pepto, I now associate that creamy minty-sweet flavor with relief. When I was a kid, there was a round pink hard candy that we used to call Pepto Bismol candy because it tasted just like it. I guess it's not a horrible flavor to me.

Ah! I think I heard about taking the two together and so I grouped them together.
If the stomach ache doesn't subside I will go out and get one. If it works I'll raise a nauseatingly coloured glass to you, Peata ;)

OP
P

Peat's_Girl

Amazoniac said:
All the problematic vegetables can be throughly cooked at first and gradually shifting to raw. This strategy is very gentle.
I once consumed a VLC for a while and it was a disaster regarding gut health. It required me much persistance to overcome that discomfort (it can last months until adaptation).
Be aware if the food is severely problematic but at the same time judge and don't be discouraged just because it's giving you a bad reaction for now..
~1800cal/d doesn't seem enough for recovery. Even though I think that it looks great, just not enough.

Vegetables=fruits?

I know it's a bit low but... I'm trying to kill two birds with one stone here >;D (weight-loss and better metabolism). If my temps don't get up and I feel worse in a week I'll reconsider. See, that's the whole point of my OCD log... It's not set in stone!

Amazoniac

No, I meant vegetables. I don't think that cooking fruit is desirable.
I would just be careful that if you're having digestive problems, solving both issues at the same time is difficult. It requires a great amount of effort to get the digestion back on track, including proper enzyme function, secretions and overall coordination. Who knows if you are already deficient in some nutrient that is contributing to your problems..?
And even though I understand the value of therapeutic approaches, like an extreme of low-fat, it's not what you're aiming for the long term, right? Why not incorporate a plan that will suit you in the long-term already?
And regarding food sensitivities, my suggestion is that you take note of all the problematic foods and try to rule out what's in them that cause you trouble. Instead of just eliminate and eliminate for a relief. After you figure the suspect compounds, start experimenting to confirm..

Edit: forgot to mention that clover honey seems the safest for those who are struggling with digestive issue, it's pretty well-balanced in terms of glucose/fructose ratio (very close to 1), making it unlikely to ferment..

SQu

PG some of this happened to me too. just FYI I stopped my experiment because of gut pain. At 1800 cals. Took a while to recover and still have to avoid raw onion and chili - never had to worry about them before.
Also I tried the garlic thing and found it perfectly fine on full stomach, extremely nauseating on an empty one.

Jennifer

Peat's_Girl said:
Jennifer said:
I think in TBP's case, her appendix burst and she also has had issues with candida so I can see why it helped her.

I wonder if your issue is due more to inflammation. In the past, you've struggled with constipation, right? The fiber could be agrivating your stomach, particularly the rough fiber like the skin of the Hitler pickles. Add to that the sulphur in the raw garlic being harsh if you're already inflamed. How were you doing on fruit fiber before starting this experiment?

I was just thinking that Jen! Today the same happened after an apple and a carrot combo...
As the master fruit expert here, can you recommend some fruits that are easy on the stomach?

I think I was doing quite well on fruits but I also had lots of fats to buffer the fiber maybe?
Usually the softer tropical fruits tend to be easier on the stomach, but personally, I found melon, when truly ripe, to digest like a dream, thus me binging on it that one summer and turning my skin Oompa Loompa orange. I think the key is ripeness and for me, sticking to lower pectin and avoiding the tougher skins/fibers. With apples, besides their tough skin and pectin content, often times they're picked too early so they're starchy. You could peel, purée and cook them up into apple sauce and see if you tolerate them better? Also, some mention having a problem with the raw carrot so keep an eye on that one too?

I know with me, when I didn't add fat to my meals, my gut pain got really bad and I know Ray has said that some fat added to meals helps with digestion. This of course is besides fat's protective effects on starch. He mentions to a caller (had gallbladder issues) in an interview that 1% milk has just enough fat to help digest it without upsetting the gallbladder. So that's something else to keep in mind as you experiment.

Peata

narouz said:
Peata said:
If I think of anything that worked especially well for me, I'll post it for you. One I can think of right now --- The main thing that got my temps up consistently, was eating every 2 - 3 hours even if I didn't feel hungry. I made sure it was some kind of protein with a carb. Examples: lowfat string cheese and an apple or other fruit; or lowfat cottage cheese and peaches or other fruit; or a little Greek yogurt and fruit. I also had larger meals -breakfast, lunch and dinner, with more kinds of foods and more calories in them. The ones I listed above are examples of snacks. Making sure to get adequate calories consistently like that (every 2 - 3 hours) made a huge difference and it took very little time - a day or two tops, to get the temps up and stay up.

Also, eating within half hour of waking up even if I didn't want to, was useful. It got my metabolism going for the day, and also reduced stress hormones. If I couldn't eat within half hour, I ate within an hour. And tried to make it a substantial breakfast, but couldn't always do that. I am not naturally a breakfast eater, but I made myself eat something besides just having the morning coffee, and it worked out well for my metabolism.

Also, increasing sodium and reduced liquids some (I used Morton's Canning Salt, took a little shaker everywhere that I filled with the salt) I feel it had some good effects. I increased slowly. Where before I was getting under 3 g. sodium daily, I raised it to a minimum of 5 g. and often quite a bit more. After several days I lost a little bloat. I believe it helped my skin. And lessened cramps related to my cycle. I salted everything, even salted my liquids. Now I don't seem to feel the need for quite as much, but I still salt my foods pretty good and still get around 5 g.

I saved this as "Peata's Metabolism Tricks."

I do think the many small feedings makes a lot of sense from a Peat perspective.
Also the blending of protein and carb with each feeding.
And the salt.
Great basic Peat, imo. :)

The main thing is CALORIES = HEAT. Eat breakfast. And the timing of every 2 - 3 hours to keep metabolism fired and the balance of having some protein and carbs at each of those meals or mini-meals seems to do the same and help keep blood sugar more steady. And the salt to help heat and the other things it helped me with as I described.

Eating that way = getting and keeping temps up was no longer any sort of struggle. It just happened naturally for me.

pboy

well...I weigh like 130, and without at least 2200ish calories a day I go catabolic, and start to feel like things in life are backing up cause I have less focus and power under me to keep up at the rate I need. The thing is too, the GI system requires energy also, and it prefers it to be slightly abundant. If you under eat getting backed up can happen in the GI also. I do burn a lot of energy, so you being a girl...dunno, 1800 would be REALLY cutting it close if not...a little under the bare minimum you'd need

I used to read (like 4 years ago) stuff about garlic,, and id cook for myself then, and was into raw food and all that. The only parasite garlic killed was the parasite that says garlic is in any way shape or form good for you. The pain brought me to my knees and I was like...never eating garlic again...ever.

Eating a tremendous amount of hypertonic salt, like pickles, can easily wrench your gut and cause watery stool, cause the body doesn't absorb most of the salt so it passes right through and carries the water with it. Its actually a technique people use to force a bowel movement, they consume thick salted water in large quantity. I think its a painful and ineffective idea

javacody

Peat's_Girl said:
I was gonna put the official Def Leopard video but who wants to see some sweaty, hair-metal dudes when you can look at some wafey super-models shaking their… Uh… Their… Ehh… Hmm… Shaking-apparatuses? ;D

Sorry, Cody, we'll find something for you too ;3

Mmm. Tyra Banks. I prefer how she looks now, though.

article-2644270-1E5838A400000578-72_634x940.jpg

I log in to look at this thread and 3 new pages!

Wow. Duly noted. Talk about sex and people get excited! :twisted:

javacody

Peat's_Girl said:
4peatssake said:

I think I'll have to salt the milk. The non-fat business really makes things difficult.

I did eat 6 raw cloves, so... Yeah two innocent pickles could have made...

WAIT A MINUTE.
OH NO...
INNOCENT MY ****!
SEE WHAT THEY'RE TRYING TO DO? PURE EVIL!

Hmm. Mentioning pickles and your bottom in the same post. I wonder what Freud would say about that?

Last edited by a moderator:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals