Oral Dmso

tara

jitsmonkey said:
post 109021 is there any problem with taking dmso based supplements orally?
As far as I know, only the same issues as with transdermal. It's good at getting around however you take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
J

jitsmonkey

didn't realize there were "issues" with it transdermally. what kind of issues?

mujuro

Forum Supporter
Why would you bother? Absorption transdermally is probably >90%. I spread about 1/3 tsp on the back of my hands before I leave for work, it's all gone 20 mins later.

tara

jitsmonkey said:
post 109045 didn't realize there were "issues" with it transdermally. what kind of issues?

It looks to me as though it may be a really useful substance in some cases, so I don't want to discourage people from using it in general.

My main concern with it is that it facilitates the movement of many things into and through tissues, whether they are desirable or not. This is one of the qualities that makes it useful as a solvent in Haidut's products. I would exercise caution if you are using any strong or critical medicines, or toxic skin products (or skin exposed to toxic cleaning products, etc), or are exposed to particulary high or nasty environmental pollution at work or home. In the case of medicines, the thing to be aware of is that for some medicines (and I don't know which) DMSO can make them more potent and/or quicker acting, etc (but I don't know by how much - probably varies by drug).

If these things don't apply, I'm not aware of any other safety risks.

The odor is an aesthetic issue, rather than a health and safety issue.

jitsmonkey said:
post 109053 sometimes it irritates my skin
May be resolved by using it with a drop or two of water.

Last edited by a moderator:

mujuro

Forum Supporter
I get minor irritation/itching sometimes. I find that spreading it thinner or as tara said, adding water and diluting + thinning resolves the irritation. It also depends on where you apply it. Back of the hands works well for me, I get almost no irritation. I tried the nape of my neck once (not obstructed by clothing, open skin) and holy ***t, the combination of itching and stinging was unbearable.

Birdie

Sometimes I put it on the back of my neck for pain. If I use it neat, then when it stings, that's my clue it's time to wipe it off. I find dmso very helpful with musculoskeletal problems. Have used it for maybe 40 years. Ever since chiropractic school actually. Yeah, very important that the skin is clean and to remember that stuff will be carried into the body with the dmso.

We keep one little jar of 50% dmso and 50% water available for times the straight (neat) dmso would be too strong.

M

marikay

Can someone weigh in on the smell problem? I'd like to try some of Haidut's products, but the risk of an extremely unpleasant smell from the DMSO is giving me pause.

I feel like it's one of those things where you start reeking of it but you're too accustomed to its smell to actually notice :nailbiting:

skycop00

From RAY Peat....Feb 2016

Attachments

• Email response from Ray Peat regarding DMSO Feb 24 2016.docx
    21 KB · Views: 198

Ras

is there any problem with taking dmso based supplements orally?
Dr. Stanley W. Jacobs swallowed one ounce of DMSO daily for several decades. He died at 91 with a full head of brown hair.

Birdie

Dr. Stanley W. Jacobs swallowed one ounce of DMSO daily for several decades. He died at 91 with a full head of brown hair.
Thanks for reminding me of him. Weirdly, I just discovered that he is the Jacob who wrote "Structure and Function in Man" which I read in school. I remember changing the title of the book, inserting "Wo".... I was a feminist back then.

Anyway, I'm glad you got me to look him up. I am a long time user of DMSO and used to follow him. He is a doctor worthy of huge respect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals