DMSO Tinctures

Gungajin

I've been using DMSO externally for strains, local pain etc. for years and had some good results. Now I've been diagnosed with arthrosis in both knees, at an early stage. Conventional medicine doesn't have much to offer, beyond NSAID's or surgery when it gets really bad.
I have found some alternative treatments which I've begun trying since a week or so. One of these remedies is willow bark which supposedly has the same effect as NSAID's but without the nasty side effects. Some people claim that DMSO can fight, even cure arthrosis but I have my doubts because I've been treating one of my knees with DMSO for quite a while when I believed the pain was caused by a damaged menisc. DMSO alone had no effect on the pain, altough it's possible I did use too little.
But it has given me the idea of trying a willow bark tincture using DMSO instead of alcohol. I've learned that there already are people, even pharmacists and "alchemists" who are making and selling DMSO tinctures in Germany but it still seems to be in early stages and I find it difficult to find trustworthy information. Haven't found any willow bark tinctures either.
I'm looking for information like what kind of substances DMSO can extract from willow bark and whether the active substance salicylic acid can be extracted and furthermore, transportet through the skin. Transportability depends, as far as I know, on the size of the molecules in question, but I have no idea what this would be for salicylic acid. One thing I've noticed is that DMSO seems to extract different substances from the bark than water does. When I put willow bark in a pure DMSO solution the liquid turned green as opposed to a watery extract which is red. When I mixed the watery extract with DMSO it actually kept the red colour. So water and DMSO are doing different things with willow bark, but that's as far as my experiments go.

I have begun applying a 70% willow bark DMSO tincture to one of my knees but it is still too early to evaluate. I believe I can notice a sligth improvement in the knee I'm treating that way, compared to the other, but it can just as well be wishful thinking.
Time will show.

However, I'd appreciate any input, also critical, from others who have experience with DMSO.
If you know anything about DMSO tinctures, please let me know, too.

Last edited:

wild-bee

cool, sounds good for topicals. most tinctures get taken orally? dmso tastes pretty foul! that's really interesting about the different coloured extracts - was the red water extract boiled? does it sting your skin? sometimes it really makes me itch and other times I can slosh loads on and it's fine

Austin Resch

I've been using DMSO externally for strains, local pain etc. for years and had some good results. Now I've been diagnosed with arthrosis in both knees, at an early stage. Conventional medicine doesn't have much to offer, beyond NSAID's or surgery when it gets really bad.
I have found some alternative treatments which I've begun trying since a week or so. One of these remedies is willow bark which supposedly has the same effect as NSAID's but without the nasty side effects. Some people claim that DMSO can fight, even cure arthrosis but I have my doubts because I've been treating one of my knees with DMSO for quite a while when I believed the pain was caused by a damaged menisc. DMSO alone had no effect on the pain, altough it's possible I did use too little.
But it has given me the idea of trying a willow bark tincture using DMSO instead of alcohol. I've learned that there already are people, even pharmacists and "alchemists" who are making and selling DMSO tinctures in Germany but it still seems to be in early stages and I find it difficult to find trustworthy information. Haven't found any willow bark tinctures either.
I'm looking for information like what kind of substances DMSO can extract from willow bark and whether the active substance salicylic acid can be extracted and furthermore, transportet through the skin. Transportability depends, as far as I know, on the size of the molecules in question, but I have no idea what this would be for salicylic acid. One thing I've noticed is that DMSO seems to extract different substances from the bark than water does. When I put willow bark in a pure DMSO solution the liquid turned green as opposed to a watery extract which is red. When I mixed the watery extract with DMSO it actually kept the red colour. So water and DMSO are doing different things with willow bark, but that's as far as my experiments go.

I have begun applying a 70% willow bark DMSO tincture to one of my knees but it is still too early to evaluate. I believe I can notice a sligth improvement in the knee I'm treating that way, compared to the other, but it can just as well be wishful thinking.
Time will show.

However, I'd appreciate any input, also critical, from others who have experience with DMSO.
If you know anything about DMSO tinctures, please let me know, too.
How has your experiment gone? I have a bottle of this DMSO I plan on making solutions with.

You also get pure salicylic acid USP from here: Salicylic Acid (Aspirin)

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals