Questionable Safety Of Dmso

Drareg

With regards to DMSO, I stopped using stressnon because it did not agree with me, nevertheless after this thread I decided to use some of Haiduts supplements with DMSO again for the sake of science.

I have used pregnenolone and k2 from Thorne with positive effects. Never used anything like lapodin yet.
Both Haiduts supplements leave me with cold hands and feet, used separately and together, also some blood sugar signs like slight blurring of vision at times. I used no other supplements. I'm also aware of the mast cell effect but also the contradiction that DMSO can lower histamine in some cases.

What I'm finding is increasing calories do help but not getting up to where Theanine did, theanine was the only supplement I used daily,amazing for me as this situation was very practical for my lifestyle/job. Other Peat recommendations also help but no longer needed regularly. Here is a study that implies DMSO might be emptying glycogen very quickly.
Diverse effects of dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) on the differentiation potential of human embryonic stem cells. - PubMed - NCBI

I found the following studies on DMSO and methylation, this is interesting to me because anything that increases methylation for me causes the cold hands and feet effect, aggression,depression,I'm guessing dmso Isolated may leave me with that agressive/depressed feeling also, the quinones and pregnenolone are offsetting perhaps,speculation here. Emptying of glycogen could also be implicated for increasing methylation?
Dimethyl sulfoxide has an impact on epigenetic profile in mouse embryoid body. - PubMed - NCBI

What's curious with this study is that potent hdac inhibitors can be created from DMSO ,hdac inhibitors generally have a positive effect for me,increasing pulse and warmth, curbs anxiety and quitens the mind. Niacinamide is a hdac inhibitor for example, I think lysine may indirectly increase hdac inhibition,co2 also. DMSO appears to increasing hydroxymethylation which increases demethylation! Contardictory substance so far.

Increasing methylation as Ray Peat mentioned is pushing toward hibernation, before you get to that stage you can get increased hypervigilance, a state many feel is normal these days.
Speculating again, I would say the reason DMSO may preserve cells in solutions is potentially because of this methylation effect, most of these preserving effects are also done at low temperature ,it's mimicking the larger organism which goes into hibernation when in similar environment ??

Here is a study showing its effects On dipalmitoylphosphotidylcholine , I'm not sure if this effects cardiolipin? Posting it to see of any of you can make more sense of it.
http://www.ukpharmsci.org/2012resourcepack/PDFPresentations/WCS3_1410_Louise_Collins.pdf

Does anyone have access to a study on theanine acting as a hdac inhibitor ? Somebody has a patent on something implying theanine Does just that.

Regardless of what we deduce from DMSO I think it's very positive what Haidut is trying to do, it's also worth noting that some peoples issues may not be effected by increasing methylation slightly, those sensitive however are clearly noticing effects,hence the conflicting accounts.

Last edited:

tara

It was definitely increasing something, but libido was suppressed, it could be related to conversion towards E but not T.
Or it could be increasing the effect of something else ingested, absorbed or endogenous.

supernature

It could be anything, thats why i decide to discontinue till i can explain further is it norm with high endo dheas to gets feeling of suppressed libido when take exo dhea and preg with dmso.

Sea

See Tara's post below. When I say toxicity

If the supplements affect you in a certain negative way then I can't argue with that. But to claim that "...I don't think many hypothyroid people are going to do well with DMSO supplements" based just on your own personal experience is a bit premature, don't you think? Also, do you mind sharing some links about DMSO causing elevated liver enzymes? I did search around and I could not find much. In fact, there is at least one study that claims the exact opposite.
http://www.dmso.org/articles/ChemicalInjury/ProtectionofLiverfromIschemia.pdf

I think what was premature was to release an untested supplement to a community of hypothyroid people who should not be used as guinea pigs.

From reading through the tyromax thread, it is obvious to me that something is wrong with your supplement. It looks as though people with experience using thyroid, or who have tested the product for a length of time find that it does not increase their temp/pulse. You have reports of people experiencing huge spikes in tsh on blood tests and other hypothyroid symptoms from using tyromax. All of the positive reviews look to be from people who have only used the product a few times or from new members who don't have experience using thyroid.

The side effects of DMSO are very similar to the symptoms of liver poisoning. I experienced most of the side effects highlighted by farmermark and others in this thread from just the recommended dosage of no more than 2 of your DMSO supplements used concurrently. Initially, the side effects were not as pronounced, but became worse overtime suggesting that they were poisoning my liver. After using tyromax and pansterone for a month it took over a month to fully recover my previous temp/pulse. From my recent test, just two servings took more than 1 week to recover from when initially 2 servings did not produce such toxic effects. I have used several of your DMSO based products so I can attribute the effect to the DMSO and not to taking too much thyroid or dhea which would have resulted in different effects anyways.

From my previous posts in this thread you can see that I was starting with a very fast metabolism and a liver capable of handling 6000mg of caffeine/day without any stress response. I think that your DMSO based supplements could cause serious damage to your average customer who is likely to be hypothyroid with poor liver function to begin with. I think that you should recall your DMSO based supplements before someone is seriously injured.

haidut

Forum Supporter
I think what was premature was to release an untested supplement to a community of hypothyroid people who should not be used as guinea pigs.

From reading through the tyromax thread, it is obvious to me that something is wrong with your supplement. It looks as though people with experience using thyroid, or who have tested the product for a length of time find that it does not increase their temp/pulse. You have reports of people experiencing huge spikes in tsh on blood tests and other hypothyroid symptoms from using tyromax. All of the positive reviews look to be from people who have only used the product a few times or from new members who don't have experience using thyroid.

The side effects of DMSO are very similar to the symptoms of liver poisoning. I experienced most of the side effects highlighted by farmermark and others in this thread from just the recommended dosage of no more than 2 of your DMSO supplements used concurrently. Initially, the side effects were not as pronounced, but became worse overtime suggesting that they were poisoning my liver. After using tyromax and pansterone for a month it took over a month to fully recover my previous temp/pulse. From my recent test, just two servings took more than 1 week to recover from when initially 2 servings did not produce such toxic effects. I have used several of your DMSO based products so I can attribute the effect to the DMSO and not to taking too much thyroid or dhea which would have resulted in different effects anyways.

From my previous posts in this thread you can see that I was starting with a very fast metabolism and a liver capable of handling 6000mg of caffeine/day without any stress response. I think that your DMSO based supplements could cause serious damage to your average customer who is likely to be hypothyroid with poor liver function to begin with. I think that you should recall your DMSO based supplements before someone is seriously injured.

Thank you for that analysis. I get a lot of feedback on the DMSO supplements and so far people who have not reacted well to them are in the extreme minority. If that changes, obviously I will not continue to sell something that people are not reacting well to. However, if YOU are not reacting well to them I think the easiest solution is to stop buying them.
Once again, just because you reacted badly to the DMSO-based supplements and suspect they caused liver issues for you, does not mean this is the case for the majority of people. I don't expect the supplements to work for everybody. If that were the case, nobody would be selling anything. Aspirin has actually an official warning about Reye's syndrome and liver enzymes elevation. If you read through the threads on the forum you will see (as a percentage) a lot more people complaining about side effects to aspirin than side effects to DMSO. Is that a reason to recall aspirin? If you want to play that game - what is your evidence for safety of aspirin?
Finally, if you go to this website and search for "sulfoxide" you will see a few FDA-approved drugs all of which use DMSO as a carrier or even active ingredient.
Inactive Ingredient Search for Approved Drug Products

Yes, just because the FDA says something is OK to use does not make it so. But what the FDA does do well is review drugs and inactive ingredients for toxicity and based on the evidence available right now, and what Peat has said, it does not appear that DMSO is toxic. It has side effects, just like everything else and those side effects need to be considered. However, the tone of this thread and posts like yours are trying to steer the discussion towards somehow DMSO being directly toxic, which it isn't to the best of our knowledge. Even the original post from Markfarmer has a quote from Peat in which he says that DMSO even if ingested "is probably harmless".
So, if you have evidence that DMSO is affecting you negatively (even if it is just your personal blood test results) then please post it here. Otherwise, I am not sure how justified are the statements that the DMSO supplements are somehow unsafe for all hypothyroid people.
Just my 2c.

Last edited:

Drareg

Your trying to shift responsibility onto Haidut for your response to the supplement ,claiming its untested and implying he is using people as Guinea pigs is hyperbole.

He explains very clearly his thinking behind the supplements he has created, it's up to you to make informed choices from the information and experience you get from it.
For example you knew full well his supplements are not going through clinical trials,why complain now?

What evidence do you have for it effecting the liver ? Have you done tests or are you untested?

Are you still taking 6 g of caffeine ? Have you taken 6g of caffeine with those supplements.

haidut

Forum Supporter
Just wanted to post this from Ray on DMSO:
Cancer Treatment, KMUD: Herb Doctors, 2012
"...Within the cancer, there are zones of bad and worse, and as it progresses, there is continued degradation of the genetic material. Tissue can be perfectly normal and still functioning, and contain more than 1000 mutated genes, whereas cancer can have hundreds of thousands of mutated genes. When cancers were thawed with DMSO or dimethylformamide or butyrates, they found what had been cancer in the deep-freeze, it would revert to normal tissue in these structuring solvents. Tumors were taken from two different colors of hamsters. Cells isolated from the tumors, mixed with a normal embryo – the developing embryo would normalize the tumor cells, but there would be a part of the original hamster color in the grown color."

burtlancast

"The toxic dose divided by the therapeutic dose is the therapeutic
index. This therapeutic index tells researchers and physicians how
dangerous a drug or other substance is to living organisms, especially
people. The higher the number representing the therapeutic index, the
safer the compound or drug. If it is a small number, the substance is
toxic. Swallowed, the LD5o of aspirin for monkeys is 558 mg/ kg. The
LD5o of DMSO for monkeys is 4,000 mg/ kg.2 Thus, DMSO is more than
seven times safer than aspirin."

The Toxicity and Side Effects of DMSO, a chapter from Morton Walker's book on DMSO

Attachments

• The Toxicity and Side Effects of DMSO.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 100

yourke

2 cents, It (DMSO) seems to retards cancer, but should be taken in context. But great as a option to experiment with, I think.

Hemoglobin Synthesis in Murine Virus-Induced Leukemic Cells In Vitro: Stimulation of Erythroid Differentiation by Dimethyl Sulfoxide CHARLOTTE FRIEND, WILLIAM SCHER, J. G. HOLLAND, AND TORU SATO Center for Experimental Cell Biology, Mollie B. Roth Laboratory, The Mount Sinai School of Medicine of the City University of New York, New York, N.Y. 10029, and Division of Cytology, the Sloan-Kettering Institute for Cancer Research, New York, N.Y. 10021 Communicated by S. E. Luria, November 30, 1970 ABSTRACT Cells of a cloned line of murine virusinduced erythroleukemia were stimulated to differentiate along the erythroid pathway by dimethyl sulfoxide at concentrations that did not inhibit growth. A rise in the number of benzidine-positive normoblasts was accompanied by increased synthesis of heme and hemoglobin and a decrease in the malignancy of the cells. This action of dimethyl sulfoxide, which was reversible, may represent the derepression of leukemic cells to permit their maturation

Stimulation of differentiated functions in human melanoma cells by tumor-promoting agents and dimethyl sulfoxide.

Treatment of cultured human HO melanoma cells with the mouse skin tumor promoter phorbol-12-myristate-13-acetate (PMA) at 5 x 10(-10) to 5 x 10(-7) M resulted in a dose-related inhibition of growth and a stimulation of differentiated functions. These included melanin synthesis and formation of dendrite-like structures. Higher doses of phorbol dibutyrate, a less potent tumor promoter, were required to produce an effect comparable to that of PMA for dendrite induction. Phorbol and two other phorbol esters, which lack tumor-promoting activity, were either inactive or elicited a poor response. In addition to morphological changes, treatment with PMA altered glucosamine incorporation into membrane gangliosides. After PMA treatment, glucosamine incorporation increased 8- to 10-fold in the GM3 ganglioside and decreased 2-fold in the GM1 ganglioside, as compared to phorbol or untreated control. Inhibition of cell growth and stimulation of melanin synthesis were also observed after treatment of the HO cells with dimethyl sulfoxide. Unlike the tumor-promoting agents, dimethyl sulfoxide did not induce the formation of dendrite-like structures in the cells. These findings indicate that HO melanoma cells can be stimulated into terminally differentiated cells after treatment with tumor-promoting agents such as phorbol diesters.

Maturation of neuroblastoma cells in the presence of dimethylsulfoxide.

Addition of dimethylsulfoxide at concentrations of 1% and 2% (vol/vol) to cells of mouse neuroblastoma clone NIE-115 in the confluent phase of growth resulted in the production of morphologically differentiated cultures with extensive process formation. Cell maintained in 2% dimethylsulfoxide remained in a stable nondividing condition for periods of up to 4 weeks. A high degree of electrical excitability was found in these cells, but there was no clear correlation of this property with the level of induction of either acetylcholinesterase (acetylcholine hydrolase; EC 3.1.1.7) or tyrosine hydroxylase [L-tyrosine, tetrahydropteridine oxygen oxidoreductase (3-hydroxylating); EC 1.14.16.2]. In addition, intracellular levels of cyclic 3':5'-AMP were not elevated in fully morphologically and electrically differentiated cells. While cell division was markedly inhibited by 2% or higher concentrations of dimethylsulfoxide, at 1% growth continued at a somewhat slowed rate and such cultures exhibited enhanced process formation and electrical activity for a relatively short period. High concentrations (3% or 4%) of dimethylsulfoxide totally suppressed process formation and did not result in increased excitability, but cells maintained high resting potentials. The results suggest that the development of the excitable membrane in neuroblastoma cells may be expressed independently of neurospecific enzyme induction, and does not require a sustained elevation of cyclic 3':5'-AMP levels.

Prostaglandin-induced differentiation or dimethyl sulfoxide-induced differentiation: reduction of the neoplastic potential of a rat mammary tumor stem-cell line.

Differentiation of the rat mammary stem cell line Rama 25 to alveolar-like cells was monitored both by the increased production of domes (hemispherical blisters) in the cell monolayer and by immunoreactive casein in the tissue culture medium. In addition to the synthetic inducer dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO), prostaglandin (PG)E1, and to a lesser extent PGE2 and PGF2 alpha (concentration range, 50--500 ng/ml) in the presence of the hormones prolactin (Pr), hydrocortisone (HC), insulin (I), and 17 beta-estradiol (E) also accelerated this step. A combination of PGE1, HC, and I was active in promoting doming even in serum-free medium, whereas PGE1, all four hormones, and serum were required for maximum production of immunoreactive casein. The DNA synthetic rate was concomitantly reduced during this differentiation step. Rama 25 readily formed tumors in young, female nu/nu mice. When Rama 25 cells were treated with PGE1 or DMSO and the four hormones yielding the droplet and doming cultures, subsequent injection of these cultures into nu/nu mice led to a reduced incidence of tumors compared with injections of untreated cultures. Variant cell lines were selected from a subclone of elongated, myoepithelial-like Rama 29 cells that had been derived from Rama 25 and directly from Rama 25 itself. The former were elongated cells and termed "Rama 521," and the latter were cuboidal epithelial cells and termed "Rama 259." Both these variants were resistant to the actions of PGE1 or DMSO and to the mammotropic hormones in accelerating the rate of formation of domes, producing immunoreactive casein, in substantially reducing the DNA synthetic rate, and in reducing the incidence of tumors when injected into nu/nu mice. We have therefore shown that conversion of Rama 24 stem cells to alveolar-like cells in culture is specifically accompanied by a reduction in their neoplastic potential in nu/nu mice.

Breakage of DNA and Alterations in Folded Genomes by Inducers of Differentiation in Friend Erythroleukemic Cells1

Friend erythroleukemia cells are induced to differentiate when treated with dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO) and a number of other structurally unrelated agents, some of which are also known to alter the structure of DNA. In order to determine whether DMSO was responsible for DNA damage, the properties of [3H]thymidine-labeled DNA from untreated cells and cells treated with DMSO were compared on alkaline sucrose gradients. Criteria for DNA degradation were: (a) an increase in the radioactivity of slowly sedimenting approximately 17S DNA, (b) a decrease in the amount of radioactivity in the heavy, major approximately 140S peak, and (c) a shift in the position of the heavy peak to a lower S value. Increasing damage was found with increasing doses of DMSO. The earliest change, which was detected at 3.5 hr, was an increase in radioactivity in the 17S peak. Therefore, breaks in DNA were detected prior to the stimulation of globin messenger RNA and hemoglobin synthesis. Other potent inducers, such as butyrate, caused similar DNA degradation. Agents that cause breaks in DNA (X-ray, bleomycin, and UV) also were found to stimulate partial erythrodifferentiation in these cells.

Effect of Dimethyl Sulfoxide on Human Carcinoma Cells, Inhibition of Plasminogen Activator Synthesis, Change in Cell Morphology, and Alteration of Response to Cholera Toxin L. OSSOWSKIL* AND D. BELIN2 Laboratory of Cellular Physiology and Immunology, The Rockefeller University, New York, New York 10021,1 and Department de Pathologie et Institut d'Histologie et Embryologie, Centre Medical Universitaire, CH-1211 Geneva, Switzerland2 Received 5 August 1985/Accepted 9 September 1985 Human carcinoma HEp-3 lost its tumorigenic and metastatic potential upon prolonged culture in vitro. This change was accompanied by a reduced production of plasminogen activator (PA) of the urokinase type (uPA), which is secreted by HEp-3 cells, a change in response to effectors that modulate uPA production, and an alteration of cell morphology. Similar but more rapid changes occurred when malignant HEp-3 cells were exposed to dimethyl sulfoxide (DMSO). uPA activity in the culture medium dropped below 50% of the control level within 6 h after the addition of DMSO and became undetectable after 24 h of treatment. This drop in uPA activity was not caused by an increased production of PA inhibitors. The cell-associated uPA decreased to 25 to 30% of the control level within 6 h of DMSO treatment and remained at this level for at least 96 h; the reduced uPA production was partially accounted for by a rapid decrease in the functional and chemical concentration of uPA mRNA. In contrast, the concentrations of most of the abundant mRNA species did not appear to be significantly affected, and cell growth was only slightly inhibited in the presence of DMSO. Malignant HEp-3 cells treated with DMSO responded to cholera toxin with an enhanced production of uPA, and their morphology became indistinguishable from that of nonmalignant HEp-3 cells grown in vitro for prolonged periods of time. All of the above changes were fully and rapidly reversible. The inhibitory effect of DMSO on PA production appears to be specific for uPA of human cell lines.

Last edited by a moderator:

haidut

Forum Supporter
Ray Peat seems to not endorse its long term usage at least:
Ray Peat Email Advice Depository

From his quote:
"...Small amounts are probably harmless; even large amounts seem harmless for some people. Its ability to release histamine and nitric oxide and to inhibit cholinesterase (articles below) suggest that its use shouldn’t be prolonged."

Keep in mind even multiple daily doses of our supplements still give you milligrams doses of DMSO. The FDA approved dose for kidney diseases is tens of grams daily.

MMWise

Hi all,
I enjoy occasional lurking but must chime in here.
I have used DMSO with positive effect on various aches and pain,s and in the past I recommended it highly.
This is no longer the case since my husband developed anaphylaxis after I applied some to his aching feet. He had used it four or five times before with no problem. He would have died without swift medical intervention.
This is not common, but it is documented. Please be careful, and Haidut, please label your products clearly!

Peatit

From his quote:
"...Small amounts are probably harmless; even large amounts seem harmless for some people. Its ability to release histamine and nitric oxide and to inhibit cholinesterase (articles below) suggest that its use shouldn’t be prolonged."

Keep in mind even multiple daily doses of our supplements still give you milligrams doses of DMSO. The FDA approved dose for kidney diseases is tens of grams daily.

I don't exactly know what he means by "small amounts" and I can't find out even with the full text.
No offense there but FDA isn't my favorite source for reliable information ( I heard your opinion on FDA's competence about long term toxicity studies).

And what about this part of his answer?

"...People often forget that it has an intrinsic oxidative effect when they are thinking of it as just a solvent, to transport drugs. I saw a product sold as eye drops, consisting of vitamin C and glutathione in DMSO. Each of those reductants, in the presence of DMSO, immediately breaks down into other substances, and the composition changes continually over a long period. There has been very little investigation of the actual composition of solutions of DMSO with other substances. At least some of the mixtures will produce sulfite and metabisulfite, which are very allergenic for some people..."

Anyway, with time I think I learnt to read in between Peat's lines and I'm under the impression that he isn't very enthusiastic and that's not good news for me :confused

Last edited:

haidut

Forum Supporter
I don't exactly know what he means by "small amounts" and I can't find out even with the full text.
No offense there but FDA isn't my favorite source for reliable information ( I heard your opinion on FDA's competence about long term toxicity studies).

And what about this part of his answer?

"...People often forget that it has an intrinsic oxidative effect when they are thinking of it as just a solvent, to transport drugs. I saw a product sold as eye drops, consisting of vitamin C and glutathione in DMSO. Each of those reductants, in the presence of DMSO, immediately breaks down into other substances, and the composition changes continually over a long period. There has been very little investigation of the actual composition of solutions of DMSO with other substances. At least some of the mixtures will produce sulfite and metabisulfite, which are very allergenic for some people..."

Anyway, with time I think I learnt to read in between Peat's lines and I'm under the impression that he isn't very enthusiastic and that's not good news for me :confused

I am not saying DMSO has no risks. I am saying that it seems to be safer than even aspirin, and we are doing what we can to minimize those risks by keeping the dose as low as possible. Given its effects on steroids, both on absorption and cellular effects, it is hard to beat its benefits. If you know of another solvent with similar benefits and lower risk please share. I'd gladly try it and switch if it pans out to be what it claims to be.

Peatit

I am not saying DMSO has no risks. I am saying that it seems to be safer than even aspirin, and we are doing what we can to minimize those risks by keeping the dose as low as possible. Given its effects on steroids, both on absorption and cellular effects, it is hard to beat its benefits. If you know of another solvent with similar benefits and lower risk please share. I'd gladly try it and switch if it pans out to be what it claims to be.
What about @Wilfrid 's suggestions of using Azone or even better urea?

japanesedude

This is unfortunate for me but, DMSO gives me diarrhea,gas,fatigue and headache,
Next time I will buy MCT ver of Idealab products.

japanesedude

>Some side effects of taking DMSO by mouth or applying it to the skin include skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, vision problems, blood problems, and allergic reactions.
DMSO DIMETHYLSULFOXIDE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD dimethylsulfoxide.aspx?activeingredientid=874&activeingredientname=dmso dimethylsulfoxide

What if the same thing happens with MCT?

I don't believe so.

frant26

>Some side effects of taking DMSO by mouth or applying it to the skin include skin reactions, dry skin, headache, dizziness, drowsiness, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, breathing problems, vision problems, blood problems, and allergic reactions.
DMSO DIMETHYLSULFOXIDE: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD dimethylsulfoxide.aspx?activeingredientid=874&activeingredientname=dmso dimethylsulfoxide

DMSO-based Idealabs products were the only substance I was applying on the inner side of my arms. One day I went swimming in a pool with chloride, and when I came out bam! Horrible skin reaction. It's been almost 2 months since the last topical application and I still have a kind of eczema and visible red dots on the inner part of my elbows. It very likely debilitated my skin and when it encountered an irritant (chloride) then it reacted bad. I'm shining red light on them occasionally and applying aspirin with honey. When I added niacinamide to that combo it started burning again.

So the criticism here is that IdeaLabs used a solvent that is good at dissolving?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals