Observations from using a continuous glucose monitor - Jessie Inchauspé

OP
David PS

David PS

In the image below, Jessie calls Oreo's vegan. I prefer to think of them as a junk foodlike substance that has been shaped into a cookie. They are ultraprocessed and unsurprisingly not healthy.
1660378534359.png

1660378672876.png

Jessie's comments
It’s not because something is vegan (or gluten-free, or fat-free for that matter) that it is good for your glucose levels.

These kinds of labels on packaging don’t mean anything, and you shouldn’t use them to determine whether a food is a good choice.

Oreos are vegan, but they are so full of sugar that they create a tremendous glucose spike in our system, and along with it brain fog, sleepiness, weight gain.

InChristAlone

Welp that just confirmed it. She's prediabetic as a result of her orthorexic dieting.

OP
David PS

David PS

Welp that just confirmed it. She's prediabetic as a result of her orthorexic dieting.
Thanks, I noticed that as well. You were right.

PeskyPeater

You can be pre-anything... that does not really say anything. She is not 'pre-diabetic' , but having less effective oxidative metabolism and hypothyroid symptoms.

And she is NOT having diabetic glucose 'spikes' bc she is not going over 250 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL)
These rising blood glucose are normal, but there is a definitive difference in Jessie's ability to utilize sugar than Luna, because:

The PUFA is released in her blood stream via lipolysis in the form of free fatty acids, reduce the ability of cells utilizing the blood glucose as fuel via the Randle Effect, then insuline keeps trying to push sugar in the cells, but the cells behave resistant to insulin and so she experiences increased glucose spikes from her food.

Not only that, the PUFA is inhibiting her thyroid function that impacts her cellular respiration towards fat oxidation. This increases lipolysis and again increases the release of PUFA triglycerides into a vicious circle.

edit. forgot the word diabetic up there

Last edited:

InChristAlone

You can be pre-anything... that does not really say anything. She is not 'pre-diabetic' , but having less effective oxidative metabolism and hypothyroid symptoms.

And she is NOT having glucose 'spikes' bc she is not going over 250 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL)
These rising blood glucose are normal, but there is a definitive difference in Jessie's ability to utilize sugar than Luna, because:

The PUFA is released in her blood stream via lipolysis in the form of free fatty acids, reduce the ability of cells utilizing the blood glucose as fuel via the Randle Effect, then insuline keeps trying to push sugar in the cells, but the cells behave resistant to insulin and so she experiences increased glucose spikes from her food.

Not only that, the PUFA is inhibiting her thyroid function that impacts her cellular respiration towards fat oxidation. This increases lipolysis and again increases the release of PUFA triglycerides into a vicious cycle.
I've never had a spike over 140 that I've ever caught on a finger stick and I have had my fair share of health problems. I am the "normal" on this chart. She would be the nearly pre-diabetic. Yes she is definitely running on free fatty acids especially if she regularly eats nothing but a meal of cabbage lol.
blood glucose.JPG

PeskyPeater

I've never had a spike over 140 that I've ever caught on a finger stick and I have had my fair share of health problems. I am the "normal" on this chart. She would be the nearly pre-diabetic. Yes she is definitely running on free fatty acids especially if she regularly eats nothing but a meal of cabbage lol.
View attachment 40438
yeah I agree, seems you're sugar uptake is quite alright. According to this chart Jessie sometimes reaches around that 200 level. That is a concern indeed. I feel that for lot's of ppl, the lines of 'pre-diabetic' and normal are pretty close by, I feel it is the 'new normal' hehe.

In these cases, it seems best to try inhibiting the release of FFA by eating some saturated fats with meals instead of PUFA of course, use niacinamide and Aspirin and vitamin E.

Have simple sugars with meals and every 90 minutes or so to keep stable blood sugar that prevents adrenaline effect and FFA release and the fructose lowers the insulin response and do not restrict salt as it increases insulin resistance.

OP
David PS

David PS

And she is NOT having glucose 'spikes' bc she is not going over 250 milligrams per deciliter (mg/dL)

Not only that, the PUFA is inhibiting her thyroid function that impacts her cellular respiration towards fat oxidation. This increases lipolysis and again increases the release of PUFA triglycerides into a vicious cycle.
Thanks for your response and for your other suggestions as well. I am here to learn and your response reminded me that I am also here to think about BG issues.
I asumed, perhaps wrongly. that sugarbabe was referring to the massive dip from the baseline at the +2 hours after eating 'vegan' Oreos. We don't know how many she ate. I appreciate that Jessie dedicated a meal to demonstrate a point. I do not consider her demonstration to be a recommendation or an indication of "her orthorexic dieting."
Isn't that a leap of logic?

OP
David PS

David PS

Also do you recall Peat saying women with higher glucose have smarter babies?
Just as a supplemental response, is Ray Peat talking about higher glucose in the diet or higher glucose in the blood? Here Jessie demonstrates that eating the same food (same glucose) in different orders produces different responses. I assume that surging the blood glucose into the red zone is not a good thing and over a 20-30 will result in damage.
1660406939879.png

Jessie's comments;
Reminder: eat food in the right order (veggies first, then protein and fat, then starches and sugars) when it’s easy. Don’t stress if the foods are mixed together - in that case, eat them all at once.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But, if you can, this is a super easy hack that can refuse your glucose spike by up to 73%, and as a result tremendously help your mental and physical health. 🪐💖
Eat your food in the correct order
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Vegetables first, proteins and fats later, starches and sugars last (when it's easy for you)
⬇️
Fibers in vegetables line the small intestine, proteins and fats slow gastric emptying
⬇️
Glucose from the rest of the meal is absorbed to a lesser extent.
⬇️
Lower peak glucose up to 73%
⬇️
Full longer, fewer cravings, better hormone balance, better fertility, better skin, fewer wrinkles, reduced inflammation, slowed aging, lower risk of disease

InChristAlone

Just as a supplemental response, is Ray Peat talking about higher glucose in the diet or higher glucose in the blood? Here Jessie demonstrates that eating the same food (same glucose) in different orders produces different responses. I assume that surging the blood glucose into the red zone is not a good thing and over a 20-30 will result in damage.
View attachment 40445
Jessie's comments;
Reminder: eat food in the right order (veggies first, then protein and fat, then starches and sugars) when it’s easy. Don’t stress if the foods are mixed together - in that case, eat them all at once.
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
But, if you can, this is a super easy hack that can refuse your glucose spike by up to 73%, and as a result tremendously help your mental and physical health. 🪐💖
Eat your food in the correct order
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
Vegetables first, proteins and fats later, starches and sugars last (when it's easy for you)
⬇️
Fibers in vegetables line the small intestine, proteins and fats slow gastric emptying
⬇️
Glucose from the rest of the meal is absorbed to a lesser extent.
⬇️
Lower peak glucose up to 73%
⬇️
Full longer, fewer cravings, better hormone balance, better fertility, better skin, fewer wrinkles, reduced inflammation, slowed aging, lower risk of disease
Her blood sugar started dipping lower than baseline at probably the 3 hour mark? The meal is causing functional hypoglycemia. We need to see what happens at the 3 and 4 hour mark. Where is the research saying a spike of greater than 30 causes disease? And why does she need vegetables to prevent a huge spike? Ray does say a meal of starch can cause a rapid insulin response. But the user @tyw said he regularly eats huge meals of white rice and has perfect glucose.

I was making fun of her example of a meal of cabbage. I apologize for being snarky. I don't know anyone who would sit down and eat nothing but raw cabbage to show how it doesn't raise blood glucose (no surprise).

PeskyPeater

Her blood sugar started dipping lower than baseline at probably the 3 hour mark? The meal is causing functional hypoglycemia. We need to see what happens at the 3 and 4 hour mark. Where is the research saying a spike of greater than 30 causes disease?
BINGO

looking at this example, it's perfect to see what is good glucose response and is not. The coca cola gives a very good response with no later dips below baseline. But the dietcoke is going below baseline, resulting in a stress response that let's adrenaline go and take sugar out of muscle glycogen, or when a person is really deplete of that after a fast of ~8h liver glycogen is used. Meanwhile adrenaline also affects triglycerides release and bc PUFA has a greater water solubility this is preferentially going to be used for oxidation, inducing the randle effect, reducing mitochondrial respiration.
1660040182001-png.40208

Last edited:

PeskyPeater

Fructose and oral glucose tolerance
In summary, the addition of small catalytic
amounts of fructose to a glucose load improves
glucose tolerance in both healthy and diabetic
subjects. Similarly, a small dose of fructose
consumed 60 and 30 min before starchy food with
a high glycaemic index decreased the glycaemic
response compared with food without fructose. It
seems that in physiological circumstances the fruc-
tose could be consumed before the carbohydrate
load. Therefore, a snack containing a small amount
of fructose, e.g. a piece of fruit, 30 60 min before a
meal may be beneficial, especially for people with
impaired glucose tolerance or type 2 diabetes.
However, because of the small number of the studies
dealing with the catalytic effect of fructose and the
unknown mechanisms of the effect, more studies are
needed before special recommendations can be
made.

edit Page 59

InChristAlone

BINGO

looking at this example, it's perfect to see what is good glucose response and is not. The coca cola gives a very good response with no later dips below baseline. But the dietcoke is going below baseline, resulting in a stress response that let's adrenaline go and take sugar out of muscle glycogen, or when a person is really deplete of that after a fast of ~8h liver glycogen is used. Meanwhile adrenaline also affects triglycerides release and bc PUFA has a greater water solubility this is preferentially going to be used for oxidation, inducing the randle effect, reducing mitochondrial respiration.
1660040182001-png.40208
Yeah I'd much rather the response to coke than the sugar free red bull which is going to use up sugar and cause a stress response.

OP
David PS

David PS

Yeah I'd much rather the response to coke than the sugar free red bull which is going to use up sugar and cause a stress response.
Ray Peat is correct again. The combination of sugar and caffeine is the way to go. It would have been nice to see the response from a sugar free coke.

OP
David PS

David PS

Is she or isn't she?
When Jessie eats 2 whole there does not appear to be a hypoglycemic dip at +2 hours.
1660424039909.png

Jessie's comments:
First of all, eating two whole apples is not easy!! 😂 (and that's how it's supposed to be)
This shows us that it's best for our glucose levels to eat a fruit whole.
When we blend fruit into a smoothie, the blades of the blender pulverise the fiber particules of the fruit, and the fiber is less useful in preventing a spike.
When we juice fruit, we remove the fiber entirely. We eat the sugar of the fruit, very quickly, without any of the fiber helping reduce the glucose impact.

InChristAlone

Is she or isn't she?
When Jessie eats 2 whole there does not appear to be a hypoglycemic dip at +2 hours.
View attachment 40470
Jessie's comments:
First of all, eating two whole apples is not easy!! 😂 (and that's how it's supposed to be)
This shows us that it's best for our glucose levels to eat a fruit whole.
When we blend fruit into a smoothie, the blades of the blender pulverise the fiber particules of the fruit, and the fiber is less useful in preventing a spike.
When we juice fruit, we remove the fiber entirely. We eat the sugar of the fruit, very quickly, without any of the fiber helping reduce the glucose impact.
Well we know she has functional hypoglycemia so juice will probably lead to it for her especially since it is also has potassium which is similar in function to insulin.

How does this work exactly?

It’s how we are built. I think most of us dump PUFAS into our bloodstream when we run out of glycogen. Having saturated fat in starch gives us many hours of starch turning into glucose, and also the fat through the Randle effect slows down the utilization of the starch. It all gives you much more time in normal blood sugar in my experience so far.

DrJ

@David PS really interesting thread. Many thanks for putting in all the effort to gather the info. Were there any examples of them trying this with low fat?

For the last month I've been experimenting with really low fat after reading Stryker's posts. I've been eating what I would have previously considered insane amounts of carbs and I don't see any of the blood sugar effects like I thought I would. Indeed I feel extremely steady with insane but controlled attention and energy. But I do notice as Stryker suggests is that I feel best when my carbs come with potassium, so basically fruit and potatoes. Peat has said potassium acts similarly to insulin.

I also re-read the study Peat always mentions of Brown (in the Burr lab) on the no fat diet from skim milk and a potato biscuit. In that paper they basically found the respiratory quotient would go above one when excess carbs were consumed in a very low fat diet, i.e. the body will burn carbs at an incredible rate of fat is extremely limited. This study and my personal experience would suggest that dietary fat level is extremely important in determining the blood sugar response. And this would sort of support Peat saying insulin resistance and blood sugar problems are driven by stress and fatty acids in the blood. It makes me wonder if vinegar impacts blood fatty acid profile some based on what you posted.

OP
David PS

David PS

@David PS really interesting thread. Many thanks for putting in all the effort to gather the info. Were there any examples of them trying this with low fat?

For the last month I've been experimenting with really low fat after reading Stryker's posts. I've been eating what I would have previously considered insane amounts of carbs and I don't see any of the blood sugar effects like I thought I would. Indeed I feel extremely steady with insane but controlled attention and energy. But I do notice as Stryker suggests is that I feel best when my carbs come with potassium, so basically fruit and potatoes. Peat has said potassium acts similarly to insulin.

I also re-read the study Peat always mentions of Brown (in the Burr lab) on the no fat diet from skim milk and a potato biscuit. In that paper they basically found the respiratory quotient would go above one when excess carbs were consumed in a very low fat diet, i.e. the body will burn carbs at an incredible rate of fat is extremely limited. This study and my personal experience would suggest that dietary fat level is extremely important in determining the blood sugar response. And this would sort of support Peat saying insulin resistance and blood sugar problems are driven by stress and fatty acids in the blood. It makes me wonder if vinegar impacts blood fatty acid profile some based on what you posted.
I am delighted that you find the thread interesting. It is a labour of love.

I eat a relatively low fat diet and I may be subconsciously ignoring low fat ---> high fat examples that Jessie has provided. I will take another look. For now, adding fat to put 'clothes' on your carbs is one of her tricks/hacks to change your BG response. Because of my personal preference, I consider this hack to a distant 3rd in the image below. But adding fats is a 'tool in the toolbox".

Peat's statement about potassium is spot-on. Natural foods contain potassium. Ultraprocessed Food Consumption (UFC) is possibly linked with the risk of dementia. It is another reason to avoid making them a large part of your diet. I will make a separate thread about UFC.

1660473306459.png

OP
David PS

David PS

Vinegar is a powerful tool for BG control. I have been purposely ignoring Jessie's posts that rely on vinegar. I will change that in the future.

You intuition is good. I had this article on my computer but I have not read it.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals