Bodybuilding/Powerlifting 6 Starch Meals A Day

AlphaCog

Hafþór Júlíus Björnsson
People been asking me a lot about my diet and what I eat! Here's my diet plan for my preparation for World's Strongest Man 2016! Yes this is a lot & I don't recommend YOU to try this!!

6:50 Morning workout! Cardio + CORE for 30min Bcca, Glutamine + handful of almonds
7:30 8 eggs + 200gr Oats + blueberries & strawberries + avocado
9:30 400gr Beef, 400gr Sweet potatoes, handful of spinach & greens
11:50 Bcca, glutamine,
12:00 400gr Chicken + 400gr potatoes, greens + some fruits
14:00 Blender = 150gr oats or sweet potatoes, 2 bananas 150gr kelloggs rice krispies, frozen berries, handful almonds, peanut butter and glutamine
14:30 Training strongman, Bcca, glutamine, Vitargo
17:30 60gr protein + 2 banans
18:00 500gr beef + potatoes, greens
20:30 500gr salmon + 500gr sweet potatoes
22:30 50gr casein protein or 6 eggs + avacado + 30gr almonds + 50gr peanut butter

Drink a lot of water throughout the day + Juices to get more calories!! middle of the night 50gr casaine protein or raw eggs.

BRIAN SHAW’S DAILY MEAL PLAN:
Meal one (1180 calories):
One bowl cereal, eight eggs, peanut butter
Meal two (1053 calories):
Protein shake, granola bars, peanut butter
Meal three (2190 calories):
Spaghetti bolognese
Meal four (1002 calories):
Three scoops protein powder (80g), peanut butter, almond milk, blueberries
Meal five (1417 calories):
Ground turkey, jasmine rice, broccoli
Meal six (pre training), (3400 calories):
Pizza takeaway, Coca Cola
Meal seven (1649 calories):
Three scoops protein powder, cheesecake

the-rock-meal-plan-rocking-for-30-days-1.png

olive

While these are nice to look at, they aren’t applicable to normal people like us who aren’t taking multi-gram doses of AAS and timing bolus doses of insulin around each meal.

opson123

The gut of these guys must have developed some protective mutations or something. The amount of food is insane and the foods themselves are the kind that gives me gut pain just by reading about them.

Last edited:

Aaron

For the past couple years, Hafthor and Brian Shaw have both been eating a diet consisting mostly of red meat, white rice, broth, carrots, and occasional fructose sources thanks to dietary coaching from Stan Efferding, who in turn seems to hold views similar to Ray Peat.

opson123

Yeah, probably my blabbering above is nonsense and they had massive gut issues and needed to change their diets. Stan Efferding also suffered from gut issues, hence his vertical diet.

Kartoffel

So, you wanna copy the diet/lifestyle of a dude that is already showing sever nerve damage, and has half his face paralyzed at the age of 30?

TeaRex14

You don't really need a massive surplus to build muscle, a slight surplus will do, and will have the added benefit of not putting on bodyfat near as much. Most of the pros can eat massive amounts of calories because they take things like trenbolone. But doing it naturally, you will put on quite a bit of fat in a bulking phase if you're in a massive surplus.

Ron J

Unless I put on weight to improve health, I don't plan to ever bulk; lean gains only. If you go overboard, I think the cutting cycle can mess up your health improvements. In case I somehow gain weight, I rather deal with 5-10 lbs to get back in shape than 20lbs+.

InChristAlone

I follow Brian Shaw his main diet is ground steak and rice, with lots of eggs in the morning. He was just tested at 22% bodyfat which is pretty darn good for one of the strongest men in the world.
Hafthor has said why his face is paralyzed I don't think it has anything to do with his diet.

Kartoffel

I follow Brian Shaw his main diet is ground steak and rice, with lots of eggs in the morning. He was just tested at 22% bodyfat which is pretty darn good for one of the strongest men in the world.
Hafthor has said why his face is paralyzed I don't think it has anything to do with his diet.

Of course not, can only be healthy to eat 10,000 calories and 200-400g of protein a day ;)
Imagine what Travis would say about linoleic acid, if he saw Brian Shaw eat 6-8 eggs for breakfast

InChristAlone

Of course not, can only be healthy to eat 10,000 calories and 200-400g of protein a day ;)
Imagine what Travis would say about linoleic acid, if he saw Brian Shaw eat 6-8 eggs for breakfast
Let's see Travis deadlift 1,000 lbs.

InChristAlone

I think he prefers living to 50, and reading books instead of wasting every day in the gym.
Strongmen of this size have not been around for long so you have no basis for your argument. There's no proof they will die at 50.

Kartoffel

Strongmen of this size have not been around for long so you have no basis for your argument. There's no proof they will die at 50.

No, but all the evidence I can think of suggests that their way of eating is unhealthy on almost every level. Excess protein, excess toxins from supplements, excess calories, excess PUFA, and I don't even wanna know what constantly forcing down this much food when you are not hungry does to your intestine. I don't think Grant Genereux would aprove of his diet, either ;)

InChristAlone

No, but all the evidence I can think of suggests that their way of eating is unhealthy on almost every level. Excess protein, excess toxins from supplements, excess calories, excess PUFA, and I don't even wanna know what constantly forcing down this much food when you are not hungry does to your intestine. I don't think Grant Genereux would aprove of his diet, either ;)
It may not be the healthiest diet, but it's much better than what they used to eat. And they won't be doing this forever. They are training to be the strongest men in the world, not live to be 100. They will eventually decrease calories and go back to a more normal physique when they retire. Plus I don't agree with Travis' way of life, I would never emulate it so I don't really care what he thinks about diet. Most fruitarians are frail looking. Sure they may live to be 100 possibly, but they won't be doing a whole lot. I guess it's the perfect life if you want to lay around reading all day.

Attakai

He was diagnosed with bell's palsey. Either way all the other strongmen are eating the same type of diet and none of them have this problem. Foolish to automatically blame it on the food.

redsun

I think he prefers living to 50, and reading books instead of wasting every day in the gym.

Their lives are about being the strongest man in the world, they arent "wasting every day in the gym", they are living every day with purpose. Yeh... excess calories and protein does not mean a shorter life. The most important macronutrient to humans is and always will be protein, especially natural meat and animal foods in their unprocessed state containing necessary nutrient to build your body. And since when is 200g protein excess? There are many bodybuilders who are very large(tall and muscular) who need this amount, its not unheard of. And for these strongman who are huge and incredibly strong, 400g protein isnt crazy, there is nothing unsafe or unhealthy from acquiring protein from natural sources, regardless of the amount.

There is no evidence to show "excess"(clearly he needs them, doesnt make sense to say its excessive except maybe to normal people) calories somehow shorten your life, this is nonsense. What shortens your life is impaired energy production, through calorie/protein deprivation, lack of vitamins/minerals, or stress of some kind. You could argue against PUFA or that his digestive organs are being stressed from all that eating, and lifting heavy weights all the time obviously stresses the body, but the point is the digestive organs work for more nutrients to provide for the body, they are always "stressed" when you consume food. There is supposed to be a net gain to the body when consuming food which supports anabolism, clearly this is the case with strongmen.

It may not be the healthiest diet, but it's much better than what they used to eat. And they won't be doing this forever. They are training to be the strongest men in the world, not live to be 100. They will eventually decrease calories and go back to a more normal physique when they retire. Plus I don't agree with Travis' way of life, I would never emulate it so I don't really care what he thinks about diet. Most fruitarians are frail looking. Sure they may live to be 100 possibly, but they won't be doing a whole lot. I guess it's the perfect life if you want to lay around reading all day.

I have news for you, no long term fruitarian is living to 100(or close to that) so you can rest assured. Humans are not frugivores, we have a protein requirement that is not going to be met by fruits or any plant matter for the length of time we are talking about here(100+ years). Meat builds and maintains the body, anyone that thinks for any reason they can live long without it is a hippy, no science exists to back up such a claim. Of course fruitarians are frail looking, your body breaks down without animal protein sooner or later. Being sedentary only prolongs the inevitable literal dessication and death of their bodies.

Last edited:

TeaRex14

I have news for you, no long term fruitarian is living to 100(or close to that) so you can rest assured. Humans are not frugivores, we have a protein requirement that is not going to be met by fruits or any plant matter for the length of time we are talking about here(100+ years). Meat builds and maintains the body, anyone that thinks for any reason they can live long without it is a hippy, no science exists to back up such a claim. Of course fruitarians are frail looking, your body breaks down without animal protein sooner or later. Being sedentary only prolongs the inevitable literal dessication and death of their bodies.
The issue is amounts, and without specifying it leaves a lot of people having to interpret the vagueness. This is the exact problem with the phrase "plant based". And because vegans have widely adopted this phrase, plant based is becoming synonymous with veganism. But in reality, "plant based" eaters do live the longest on average, they're just not vegan. Blue Zones eat around 70% plants and 30% animal products, that's about what most people should shoot for in terms of longevity. And when you take into account the inflammatory nature of most grains and legumes, that leaves you with tubers and fruits.

Kartoffel

Their lives are about being the strongest man in the world, they arent "wasting every day in the gym", they are living every day with purpose.

Well, purpose is something personal I guess, so there is probably little sense in debating it. I, personally, can't empathize and see "being the strongest man" as a purpose. For me, it's a useless, isolated, and destructive activity.

eh... excess calories and protein does not mean a shorter life.

Actually, the science is pretty clear on the relationship between excess protein intake and reduced life span. 400+ grams of protein per day definitely provides an amount of tryptophan and methionine that will shorten one's life span significantly.

Meat builds and maintains the body, anyone that thinks for any reason they can live long without it is a hippy, no science exists to back up such a claim.

Again, there is a large body of evidence showing that excess protein is very harmful, and while I agree that eating moderate quantities of animal protein is optimal, I don't think that you can't be healthy without it. Just because extreme fruitarians aren't healthy, doesn't mean that you can't be healthy on a diet that is very high in carbs and fats, with some high quality plant protein like potatoes, mushrooms, etc.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals