My hair grew back on TRT

Alexanders

After a month on TRT I noticed that new hair have started to grow on my scalp. I’m now 2 months in and it still regrowing new hair. My dosage is 250mg testosterone cypionate every week. What could the reason behind this be? Before TRT my LH and FSH was elevated. Could the reduction of LH have something to do with it? I’ve read high LH could act as an inflammatory? Or is it the increase in estrogen? Or the testosterone itself?

Lokzo

Forum Supporter
After a month on TRT I noticed that new hair have started to grow on my scalp. I’m now 2 months in and it still regrowing new hair. My dosage is 250mg testosterone cypionate every week. What could the reason behind this be? Before TRT my LH and FSH was elevated. Could the reduction of LH have something to do with it? I’ve read high LH could act as an inflammatory? Or is it the increase in estrogen? Or the testosterone itself?

No other changes to your protocol?

Nutrition?

Stress?

A

Adf

Here's a possibility.. There's a guy on Youtube Rob English who thinks much of men's hair loss is caused by a tight scalp, caused by stressed and tight facial muscles.

The theory is the tight scalp both restricts/strangles the blood vessels to the hair follicles and also causes inflammation. The body responds to the inflammation by sending DHT the scalp, so his theory is that DHT is a response to what is causing the hair loss, not directly causing hair loss in itself. You can think of it like a chicken or egg situation, which comes first?

He has successfully regrown his hair by massaging his face and head muscles every day. as a daily routine. However, he also mentions a study done to test his theory. The study was done on bald men and they were given botox to forcefully relax facial muscles around the forehead and side of head. I believe it was 75% of the men saw significant hair regrowth from Botox alone.

See here: A Pilot Study to Evaluate Effectiveness of Botulinum Toxin in Treatment of Androgenetic Alopecia in Males

"Of 10 patients, 8 had good to excellent response on photographic assessment. At the end of 24 weeks, 1 patient showed poor and 1 showed fair response to treatment. As per self-assessment, 7of 10 patients showed good to excellent response. Two patients had fair response and 1 patient showed poor response to treatment."

So if there's any truth to this theory of Robs, your hair regrowth may be from a reduce in stress, and the powerful anti-inflammatory effects of TRT.

You can also get started with this video here to learn more..

ddjd

photos or it never happened

OP
A

Alexanders

No other changes to your protocol?

Nutrition?

Stress?
The only changes to my protocol is grapeseed and oliveleaf extract ED, and niacinamide once in a while. I’ve also included more turmeric/curcumin than usual, I know it can lower DHT, however I don’t think lower DHT is the reason behind my hair regrowth - since my SHBG is lower now and my free T is way higher now than before.

My bloodwork before TRT:
Total Testosterone: 778 ng/dl (350-870)
SHBG: 58 nmol/L (15-50)
Free Testosterone: 12 ng/dl (10-23)
LH: 16 IE/L (Ref. 2-8)
Estradiol: 89 pmol/L (<120)

My bloodwork after 8 weeks on 250mg Test C EW:
Total Testosterone: 1384 ng/dl
SHBG: 36 nmol/L
Free T: 35 ng/dl
LH: <0.2
Estradiol: 145 pmol/L

I haven’t checked my cortisol and ACTH after TRT, however before TRT they were elevated. Maybe the testosterone lowered these stress hormones? I will check for it next time. However I’ve started to experience some high E symptoms, like mild ED, and I’m now using aromasin to decrease my estradiol. So if my hair keep regrowing after I’ve lowered estrogen, then we can rule out estrogen as being the reason behind hair regrowth.

OP
A

Alexanders

What was the reason you being on TRT in the first place?
Had symptoms I attributed to low T, had a varicocele combined with high LH (and FSH), my SHBG was elevated (which can happen in a state of androgen defiency), and my free T was at the lower end for my age (25 years old, athletic and healthy). Also had hyperprolactinemia, which I control with dopamin agonist since October 2021, and galactorrhea and gynecomastia (likely caused by elevated prolactin and maybe progesterone).

Vanset

Probably had elevated DHEA-S (therefore DHT) pre-trt duo to impaired testicular function (high LH, low free T) and since you normalized your T levels with injections your adrenals calmed down and DHEA-S went down.

Also yet another person (out of the hundreds I have seen) with 'healthy' high SHBG, normal total T and low free T jumping on TRT.

Last edited:

jacob

Had symptoms I attributed to low T, had a varicocele combined with high LH (and FSH), my SHBG was elevated (which can happen in a state of androgen defiency), and my free T was at the lower end for my age (25 years old, athletic and healthy). Also had hyperprolactinemia, which I control with dopamin agonist since October 2021, and galactorrhea and gynecomastia (likely caused by elevated prolactin and maybe progesterone).
What’s the explanation why SHBG elevates in androgen deficiency? I’ve never heard this before. It seems counterintuitive to me.

jacob

Also yet another person (out of the hundreds I have seen) with 'healthy' high SHBG, normal total T and low free T jumping on TRT.
Can you explain this further? I also fit this profile but I can’t tell what you’re implying here.

Vanset

Can you explain this further? I also fit this profile but I can’t tell what you’re implying here.
Normal and even high total T, high SHBG and low free T is a typical androgen deficient state in a person with a healthy (non fattened up) liver.
Now OP doesn't have Klinefelter, but the pattern is the same. Just a difference in magnitude.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

allan442

Hey man, any more info on elevated DHEA-S? I’ve had it come back like that a few times since coming off of testosterone I have lowered libido and cognitive function. My testosterone averages in the 500s and have undetectable estradiol
Probably had elevated DHEA-S (therefore DHT) pre-trt duo to impaired testicular function (high LH, low free T) and since you normalized your T levels with injections your adrenals calmed down and DHEA-S went down.

Last edited:

Vanset

Hey man, any more info on elevated DHEA-S? I’ve had it come back like that a few times since coming off of testosterone I have lowered libido and cognitive function. My testosterone averages in the 500s and have undetectable estradiol
Like I said it's a result of impaired testicular axis at either end. I don't know what to do about this specific hormonal profile.
If you could post your hormonal profile off trt that would be helpful.

Last edited:

allan442

Off of TRT I can tell you off memory that across 3 tests:

Testosterone, free is in 500s
Estradiol consistently too low to be detected
DHEA-S just over the ref range
Prolactin normal by this forums standards
All thyroid parameters are fine, TSH just below 1

I wish I had more but this is all I could test. It would be wise to get more tested but for time being it’s not possible

Do you think using HCG could restore normal testicular function?

Vanset

Off of TRT I can tell you off memory that across 3 tests:

Testosterone, free is in 500s
Estradiol consistently too low to be detected
DHEA-S just over the ref range
Prolactin normal by this forums standards
All thyroid parameters are fine, TSH just below 1

I wish I had more but this is all I could test. It would be wise to get more tested but for time being it’s not possible

Do you think using HCG could restore normal testicular function?
You should test gonadotropins such as LH and FSH as well. They could already be high so HCG would be pointless.

OP
A

Alexanders

This is true, I had high DHEA-S. Here’s the rest of my pre-TRT hormone values:

DHEAS: 12 (Ref. 3.3-13.9)
Progesterone: <1.6 (Ref. <0.6)
ACTH: 30 (Ref. 1,5-14)
Cortisol: 558 nmol/L
IGF-1: 270 (Ref. 100-300)
Albumin: 46 (Ref. 35-50)
TSH: 5 (Ref. 0,4-4)
Free T4: 16 (Ref. 12-22)
Free T3: 4,3 (Ref. 3,1-6,8)

Btw I think I’ll include HCG to my TRT soon, is that a good idea?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals