More Than One Third Of Men And Almost Half Of Women Are Energy Deficient

sladerunner69

Yes this! :+1 night owls are in terrible shape. They will claim intelligent people need less sleep. Lol

I wanted to gauge if I still need niacinamide so I stopped taking my 100 mg last week. I am a wreck, emotional, annoyed, impatient, can't find joy, and I feel like I need to eat more food. The comment about not utilizing energy made me think of it.

You only take 100mg? I would hardly notice an effect from that. I take 500mg and the effect wears off in 3-4 hours. Some days I'll take like 2 or 3 grams! I am 230lbs of lunk but still.

InChristAlone

You only take 100mg? I would hardly notice an effect from that. I take 500mg and the effect wears off in 3-4 hours. Some days I'll take like 2 or 3 grams! I am 230lbs of lunk but still.
Yeah sometimes less. I find it pretty sedating. Well sometimes, other times gives energy. But I am only 118 lbs.

sladerunner69

Yeah sometimes less. I find it pretty sedating. Well sometimes, other times gives energy. But I am only 118 lbs.

Yep I concur, the sedation can kick in pretty heavy after 1 gram. Then I drink coffee for an extra boost, and drink nonfat milk all day long because I think protein and calcium help maintain energy. But Im thinking about lowering the dosage down to 500mg or getting off it completely to see if it help speeds up my fatloss. Others have complained that niacinimide/aspirin prevents them from losing fat so that could be the deal with me right now.

managing

The survey has revealed that boys are excessively thin and undernourished during their teenage years as compared to girls

What can be done for an 8 yr old boy that is exceedingly thin and weak (4' and 50 lbs)? He is very intelligent, happy, and well adapted generally. Physical exertion he is definitely behind his peers. Overheats and tires more quickly than them.

Obviously it would be reckless to fool around with hormones on a child and I won't consider recommendations of that kind. But dietary and nutritional recommendations I would be interested in.

Xisca

Overheats?

managing

Overheats?
Yeah, gets sweaty, red in the face, tired . . . .

I should add he eats very little. We have to literally make him eat regularly. He sometimes has no interest in food even if he hasn't eaten.

mattyb

If he is happy, healthy, smart, and well adjusted then just leave him alone. He is fine. He's literally at the median height (4 feet) for his age group, and his weight is only a few pounds below normal. He's a child, don't screw him up - he's not asking for any help. Let him develop a connection to his own body and develop an intuition of what he needs, he'll figure it out if you surround him with good nutritious food.

Just wait until his teenage years, you won't be able to get him to stop eating. My nephew probably gained like 30-40lbs in the last three years (he's 10 now), almost overweight now after being small and underweight for his whole life. Now he's really interested in trying out new foods and cooking. Before he couldn't care less.

managing

If he is happy, healthy, smart, and well adjusted then just leave him alone. He is fine. He's literally at the median height (4 feet) for his age group, and his weight is only a few pounds below normal. He's a child, don't screw him up - he's not asking for any help. Let him develop a connection to his own body and develop an intuition of what he needs, he'll figure it out if you surround him with good nutritious food.

Just wait until his teenage years, you won't be able to get him to stop eating. My nephew probably gained like 30-40lbs in the last three years (he's 10 now), almost overweight now after being small and underweight for his whole life. Now he's really interested in trying out new foods and cooking. Before he couldn't care less.
I appreciate where you are coming from.

You are however mistaken about him being "fine". And I am not talking about things that will "screw him up".

GAF

Physical exertion he is definitely behind his peers. Overheats and tires more quickly than them.

I would definitely give him a B2 supplement and I would make sure he is a milk drinker. Probably 5/10mg B2 for a while, not forever, just until he heals. I think failure of the above 2 items was my downfall as a kid.

mattyb

I appreciate where you are coming from.

You are however mistaken about him being "fine". And I am not talking about things that will "screw him up".

I am just going by what you said. Your child is median height and like 5lbs below median weight for his age. He's happy, smart, and well adjusted. So what if he's not the most athletic or the biggest. What more do you want? Unless there's more you're not telling us.

My whole point is that organisms are complex and no one understands what's optimal for a child (and specifically your child) other than himself, who has his own natural intuitive cues to go by. So just let those cues play out, surround him with nutritious food, positive experiences and lots of stimulating (physical and mental) activity, and he'll be fine. I guarantee you he will be eating like a madman in no time.

managing

I am just going by what you said. Your child is median height and like 5lbs below median weight for his age. He's happy, smart, and well adjusted. So what if he's not the most athletic or the biggest. What more do you want? Unless there's more you're not telling us.

My whole point is that organisms are complex and no one understands what's optimal for a child (and specifically your child) other than himself, who has his own natural intuitive cues to go by. So just let those cues play out, surround him with nutritious food, positive experiences and lots of stimulating (physical and mental) activity, and he'll be fine. I guarantee you he will be eating like a madman in no time.
Thank you.

alywest

Thank you.
I hope this isn't a silly question, but has he had a full thyroid panel done? I am hypothyroid but wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. As an adult I tended to put on more weight but as a child I was stick thin and always felt painful cramps when running and stuff. I have always wondered if I was hypothyroid even then, even though it would seem that I was actually hyperthyroid. The ability to tolerate heat for me has dramatically improved since starting thyroid. I don't know how you could find a good physician to monitor all that correctly as you're right, I wouldn't want to mess with hormones in a child.

managing

I hope this isn't a silly question, but has he had a full thyroid panel done? I am hypothyroid but wasn't diagnosed until adulthood. As an adult I tended to put on more weight but as a child I was stick thin and always felt painful cramps when running and stuff. I have always wondered if I was hypothyroid even then, even though it would seem that I was actually hyperthyroid. The ability to tolerate heat for me has dramatically improved since starting thyroid. I don't know how you could find a good physician to monitor all that correctly as you're right, I wouldn't want to mess with hormones in a child.
Yes, I was too. First scrawny and weak, then chronically overweight, and weak.

But, as you say, "I wouldn't want to mess with hormones in a child". Haven't had a thyroid panel. His muscle tone is so negligible that a pediatrician, upon meeting him for the first time, insisted that he must have been preemie or is developmentally disabled. I don't think he believed us (full term, 6lbs 6 ozs). Then he started running through a cognitive battery and . . . yeah he's quite bright so that didn't go anywhere the doc intended.

That's why I'd like to discuss best practices to promote energy and growth in a child that seems energy deficient. Hence posting it here, although I've considered making it its own thread before.

alywest

But, as you say, "I wouldn't want to mess with hormones in a child". Haven't had a thyroid panel. His muscle tone is so negligible that a pediatrician, upon meeting him for the first time, insisted that he must have been preemie or is developmentally disabled. I don't think he believed us (full term, 6lbs 6 ozs). Then he started running through a cognitive battery and . . . yeah he's quite bright so that didn't go anywhere the doc intended.

That's why I'd like to discuss best practices to promote energy and growth in a child that seems energy deficient. Hence posting it here, although I've considered making it its own thread before.

Have you considered contacting Ray Peat about it? Seems like a case that maybe warrants special attention.

RedStaR

Cod liver oil, sunlight, and lots of veggies. Especially spinach.

Also make sure he doesn't suffer from any steroid, mineral, or vitamin deficiency. And that he gets a physical and mental examination.

Xisca

Physical exertion he is definitely behind his peers. Overheats and tires more quickly than them.
Mattyb is right mostly, until you find something precise. He might need to remove parasites!
I would not give any isolated B, or some in group, not just the b2.
I was also bright and not strong, as if intelligence was developping to compensate. If he is not shy and energetic as meaning having will, then it is more ok. If shy prefering animals to humans or easily "in his world", then something with the nervous system...

OP
haidut

haidut

exceedingly thin and weak

Does he eat enough? Has he been tested for iron (full panel, not just serum iron), protein deficiency, digestive enzymes, thyroid, etc? If appetite and weight are the main issue I would consider cyproheptadine. In Europe it is the main appetite stimulant approved for use in children.

Koveras

I do not have increased calory needs but I have excess lactic acid just with normal life.
And my only defect in the citric cycle is that I have high succinate in urine...
I tried to push with high fruits and goat cheese 2 years, and no change.

Increased estrogen (especially with low androgens or progesterone) can cause high succinate through hypoxic signalling pathways

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals