Lowering starch and muscle meat making fat loss easy

SQu

I really can see how big muscle meat meals can do a person in. And how starch combined with general over eating (of muscle meat) lowers metabolism and slows gut motility.

I do have a starch craving so I do still eat it but just not nearly as much.

I couldn't get off starch for a long time, I think it's to do with the cells not being able to use the sugar in the diet. I think the potassium in fruit juice helped my blood sugar, and so did adamantane, and the cravings went. Looks like for me weight loss(and sleep!) is all about blood sugar, and I think some of us need a LOT of fruit/juice. Like 2 litres a day for me.

Korven

These are pretty much exactly what I get! And it takes that same amount of time generally for it to crop up. I tolerate starch better than I used to, it used to be like 2 days with a few starch meals and I’d be doing awful. Now it’s like major starch consumption every day, after five days I’ll hit a wall. More moderate consumption it might take a week or two, so basically I’m still much better off without it. I have to cycle off of it when I’m not avoiding it. The air hunger and restless leg syndrome I get from starch screws up my sleep. I feel poisoned, especially in the morning (like out of it, exhausted, and what I want to describe as a kind of faint burning sensation in every cell of my body), lethargic/numb/depressed. I also get dark circles, a slack look to my skin, a thicker waist and slightly swollen body, especially noticeable in hands and feet. My joints become less flexible and I’m more stiff overall. My teeth stay less clean...I’ve even sworn my eye color looks less clear.

Yeah that's actually crazy how similar our experiences are. Are there any particular reason why you bring back starch or is it just to enjoy a more normal, varied socially acceptable diet?

I was a very sickly child (and adult). Always feeling like I was coming down with something and having to stay home from school. I thought my immune system was just weak and that's why I had these frequent infection like symptoms. Now in retrospect I think I was just poisoning my body with foods that my body didn't like. Ray says an inflamed, sluggish GI tract makes the body more susceptible to viral infections so that was likely going on as well.

Sometimes I wonder if I've messed up my gut microbiome through experiments like only meat carnivore, and that's why I do so badly with starch now, but really I've been pretty sick my entire life so I think I just don't do well with certain foods, and that's that.

I know Peat doesn't approve eating lots of muscle meat, but on a zero starch diet I have to have a daily meal of red meat otherwise I'm not satiated. Whole milk and honey also helps a ton.

Last edited:

Korven

2 mg cyproheptadine + 20-30 mg progesterone helps take the edge of any endotoxin issues. But if I don't address the root cause (starch for me) it doesn't matter how much supplements I throw at the problem.

Doc Sandoz

Yeah that's actually crazy how similar our experiences are. Are there any particular reason why you bring back starch or is it just to enjoy a more normal, varied socially acceptable diet?

I was always a sickly child (and adult). Always feeling like I was coming down with something and having to stay home from school. I thought my immune system was just weak and that's why I had these frequent infection like symptoms. Now in retrospect I think I was just poisoning my body with foods that my body didn't like. Ray says an inflamed, sluggish GI tract makes the body more susceptible to viral infections so that was likely going on as well.

Sometimes I wonder if I've messed up my gut microbiome through experiments like only meat carnivore, and that's why I do so badly with starch now, but really I've been pretty sick my entire life so I think I just don't do well with certain foods, and that's that.

I know Peat doesn't approve eating lots of muscle meat, but on a zero starch diet I have to have a daily meal of red meat otherwise I'm not satiated. Whole milk and honey also helps a ton.
Since I reduced muscle meat intake owing to the bad aminos and phosphorus, I was recently shocked to realize when I calculated it how low my daily protein intake was without lots of meat. I've started adding good aminos like glycine in collagen hydrosylate to Greek yogurt smoothies or cottage cheese. This way I can boost the amount in a cup to around 40g protein (look at the label, amazing how dairy protein content varies.) Two servings a day (four to five hundred calories total) plus a little meat and I'm at around 100g protein. At the same time, I've cut way back on starch in general and when I do eat it I have only small amounts of fast digesting starch like nixtamalized corn or well cooked potato or rice, replacing that starch in general with sugar, preferably from fruit. Before I always felt best after eating when I had about half a pound of steak with a small amount of starch. Since getting my protein intake back up, I feel 100% better in general, a much more energized and relaxed person starting to replace the lethargic and inflamed me of recent times. (As a first step of "peating", of course, I minimalized PUFAs about a year ago, but that alone did not change the way I feel day to day. In fact, I think my first attempts at dietary changes - going from low carb to what I'd gathered was a Peat regimen - made me feel worse, but I'd missed the 100g protein recommendation and now things seem to be a turning the corner).

Last edited:

Vins7

I'm eating maybe 2 oz of fish or lean meat per day, and maybe a cup of white rice or a potato at dinner. Maybe a few cheat low PUFA potato chips. It has resulted in my losing fat and keeping my temps in the 37C range during the day.

I really can see how big muscle meat meals can do a person in. And how starch combined with general over eating (of muscle meat) lowers metabolism and slows gut motility.

What is the difference between fish or lean meat and muscle meat? Are not the same? Sorry my English level isn't good so I can't understand some easy concepts.

OP
ecstatichamster
What is the difference between fish or lean meat and muscle meat? Are not the same? Sorry my English level isn't good so I can't understand some easy concepts.

they are the same. The muscle meat is the meat we eat. Organ meat is the organs, such as liver, heart, brains, kidneys, thymus.

jet9

I'm eating maybe 2 oz of fish or lean meat per day, and maybe a cup of white rice or a potato at dinner. Maybe a few cheat low PUFA potato chips. It has resulted in my losing fat and keeping my temps in the 37C range during the day.

What are your main sources of calories?

Sefton10

I can eat as much meat, milk, fruit, honey as I want and feel great.
Throw in some eggs (even just yolks) and what more do you need?!

It seems to me a lot of the issue with starch is social. Most people who struggle to give it up do so as they feel awkward eating with family/friends otherwise.

artist

I was a very sickly child (and adult). Always feeling like I was coming down with something and having to stay home from school. I thought my immune system was just weak and that's why I had these frequent infection like symptoms. Now in retrospect I think I was just poisoning my body with foods that my body didn't like. Ray says an inflamed, sluggish GI tract makes the body more susceptible to viral infections so that was likely going on as well.

For sure! I know a lot of people on here (or in general) don’t do well with starch but you’ve described my experience much more specifically than I’ve heard before. I was always tired and fuzzy-brained as a child and my brother has chronic health problems too (his manifest more directly as digestive problems but energy and mood issues too). I have the same anxieties about avoiding carbs or using antimicrobials but honesty I don’t think it’s hurt anything compared to when I was at my worst before I ever tried modifying my diet, and it’s made it possible for me to get through life which I wouldn’t have been able without restricting starches a lot. I have trouble with salicylates and histamines too which makes it hard to avoid starches without going fully low carb unfortunately. But I am kind of moving back to very low starch. I think after a couple months the lessened burden on my body helps with the sensitivities to those other things. I am also not very worried about muscle meat at this point personally. I feel like the more I eat of it the better I feel as long as I don’t go overly low in carbs.

I’m still trying to figure out if the main problem with starch (and the other things) is microbial in nature of more to do with enzymes/detox malfunctions, or something else.

Last edited:

TripleOG

Shifting the ratio of starch:sugar to heavily favor sugars has made a big impact, though it wasn't noticeable immediately.

Same with keeping calcium high.

Still feel good with muscle meat though. I cap my intake at 8oz with 10-15g gelatin along with it.

David90

The Fat Loss could be from the less Insulin Spikes. Since Starchy Carbs are raising Insulin by a Good Amount (except eaten Togehter with Fructose / Fructose Rich Sources?). Also Starch (like White Rice) has a lot of Calories per 100g.

I Experience the Same Thing. I do nowadays Low Starch most of the Week (Getting my Carbs from Milk or Fructose Rich Fruits). I lowered my Starch to around 50-55g per Day. My Weight is slwoly decreasing as well.

OP
ecstatichamster
The Fat Loss could be from the less Insulin Spikes. Since Starchy Carbs are raising Insulin by a Good Amount (except eaten Togehter with Fructose / Fructose Rich Sources?). Also Starch (like White Rice) has a lot of Calories per 100g.

I Experience the Same Thing. I do nowadays Low Starch most of the Week (Getting my Carbs from Milk or Fructose Rich Fruits). I lowered my Starch to around 50-55g per Day. My Weight is slwoly decreasing as well.
That is great news. I’m glad to hear that you were also experiencing benefits this week. Thank you.

David90

That is great news. I’m glad to hear that you were also experiencing benefits this week. Thank you.
Also glad to hear, that it worked for you too.

This doesn't mean that i don't eat starch but rather limit them most of the week (like mentioned). And on Weekends (mostly Saturday) i eat them a bit more. I do this Scheme for almost around 1,5 Months now and it works great.

OP
ecstatichamster
Also glad to hear, that it worked for you too.

This doesn't mean that i don't eat starch but rather limit them most of the week (like mentioned). And on Weekends (mostly Saturday) i eat them a bit more. I do this Scheme for almost around 1,5 Months now and it works great.

yes indeed. I had a few slices of pizza yesterday. A few low PUFA chips. I'm not a fanatic and I love good food. But I'm far lower in starch than I used to be and also in muscle meat and it improves my temperatures and is contributing to fat loss.

GeoX

WHat do you think about peeled red potatoes (least starch of the potato family) boiled for 1-2 hours, then mashed and cooked in the oven for 15 min with butter and salt? Still too starchy or not?

OP
ecstatichamster
WHat do you think about peeled red potatoes (least starch of the potato family) boiled for 1-2 hours, then mashed and cooked in the oven for 15 min with butter and salt? Still too starchy or not?
In my present mode I would eat those in great moderation.

GeoX

Although I think I'm ok with very well cooked potatoes and white rice, I may give Peat's nixtamalized corn a try:

100326999-_1_.jpg

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals