Is 3 days cooked bone-broth safe?

Lenny

The local butcher sells organic bonebroth made from piggskin and bones/feet etc.. The product has a jelly substance and can be cooked to a liquid for consumption. He says that he cooks the broth for 3 days. I was wondering if this is a safe food to eat?

michael94

The material of the container it’s boiled in is important
Yes, also from having worked in Restaurants, they often just take steel wool to any dirty pots so theyre generally extremely scratched. At our Home we use magnetic stainless steel pots we purchased at Ikea for relatively cheap ( Ikea 365+ set ~$60 ).

OP
Lenny

Lenny

I was wondering about histamine content. I'm not educated on this subject yet. I understand that danny roddy recommends boiling for 3 hours. im not sure why, and, if it is ok to boil for 3 days

The local butcher sells organic bonebroth made from piggskin and bones/feet etc.. The product has a jelly substance and can be cooked to a liquid for consumption. He says that he cooks the broth for 3 days. I was wondering if this is a safe food to eat?
Ray Peat says no more than 3 hours of cooking for bone broth because of histamines and heavy metals.

Dr. B

Ray Peat says no more than 3 hours of cooking for bone broth because of histamines and heavy metals.
are those heavy metals naturally occurring and beneficial in those small amounts? or are the heavy metals present even in organic cow bones due to toxins that built up in the animal over time, even if its an organic animal?
also do you know if organic animals can be vaccinated? ive never seen farms or milks talk about the cows being vaccine free. you often hear pesticide/antibiotic/hormone free on organic products, but never any mention of vaccines. the vaccines themselves could provide the toxic heavy metals. but otherwise i wonder if heavy metals as occur in pink salt, or a 100% grass fed cow with no pharmaceuticals/antibiotics etc could be helpful.

are those heavy metals naturally occurring and beneficial in those small amounts? or are the heavy metals present even in organic cow bones due to toxins that built up in the animal over time, even if its an organic animal?
also do you know if organic animals can be vaccinated? ive never seen farms or milks talk about the cows being vaccine free. you often hear pesticide/antibiotic/hormone free on organic products, but never any mention of vaccines. the vaccines themselves could provide the toxic heavy metals. but otherwise i wonder if heavy metals as occur in pink salt, or a 100% grass fed cow with no pharmaceuticals/antibiotics etc could be helpful.
Good questions Mr.Bollox! I think the heavy metal build up might be from the irrigation of the grass and hay the cows are eating. They aren't beneficial metals if Ray Peat is warning us against them. I know going to the market ine can't know what their meat has been up to, but I get my meats from several places online and some like Crowdcow.com let the consumer know if the cows have been given hormones or antibiotics. I gave up all my fancy salts, pink when i read Ray Peat's warnings about all the metal and contaminants in them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210630-161830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20210630-161830_Samsung Internet.jpg
    272.6 KB · Views: 3

Dr. B

It looks like the skin and cartilage stores heavy metals too. So shorter cooking times the better!
but if you eat the skin and cartilage youd have the same issues right? youd have to do short cooking times plus throw away the bone and skin/cartilage?
also its interesting eating too little iron can increase lead absorption according to that article.

Good questions Mr.Bollox! I think the heavy metal build up might be from the irrigation of the grass and hay the cows are eating. They aren't beneficial metals if Ray Peat is warning us against them. I know going to the market ine can't know what their meat has been up to, but I get my meats from several places online and some like Crowdcow.com let the consumer know if the cows have been given hormones or antibiotics. I gave up all my fancy salts, pink when i read Ray Peat's warnings about all the metal and contaminants in them.

when did Ray say the things about pink salt, do you know what he said? doesnt pink salt contain many of the trace minerals present in seafood and sea salt which Ray does like? Also the way pink salt is made it seems like it should be cleaner than any other salt? it's apparently unadulterated, supposedly pristine and unaltered by modern society for millions of years.

this is interesting from wikipedia: "Himalayan salt is chemically similar to table salt. Analysis of a range of Khewra salt samples showed them to be between 96% and 99% sodium chloride, with varying amounts of trace minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, chromium, magnesium, and sulfate, all at safe levels below 1%.[1][8][9][10] Some salts mined in Pakistan are not suitable for food or industrial use without purification due to impurities.[1] Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while the trace minerals in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color."

but if you eat the skin and cartilage youd have the same issues right? youd have to do short cooking times plus throw away the bone and skin/cartilage?
also its interesting eating too little iron can increase lead absorption according to that article.

when did Ray say the things about pink salt, do you know what he said? doesnt pink salt contain many of the trace minerals present in seafood and sea salt which Ray does like? Also the way pink salt is made it seems like it should be cleaner than any other salt? it's apparently unadulterated, supposedly pristine and unaltered by modern society for millions of years.
The salt thing is like the sugar, he thinks refined is better. White refined sugat is better than the raw and brown sugars,
and the same with the salt, refined salt is cleaner.

Dr. B

The salt thing is like the sugar, he thinks refined is better. White refined sugat is better than the raw and brown sugars,
and the same with the salt, refined salt is cleaner.
interesting, what's the process for refining sugar/salt? i think if they were just put through a machine which physically filters them somehow that could help, but I thought the common table sugars and table salts are actually bleached to give them that white color? As well as, many of them contain anti caking agents but that should be listed on the label. I think he does prefer sugars from honey, fruits, milk etc due to the nutrients in those that help properly process it. Sea salt has toxins issues due to ocean toxins. there's also another salt i think its called real salt, somewhere in the US, which is similar to pink salt but cheaper and local.

this is interesting from wikipedia: "Himalayan salt is chemically similar to table salt. Analysis of a range of Khewra salt samples showed them to be between 96% and 99% sodium chloride, with varying amounts of trace minerals such as calcium, iron, zinc, chromium, magnesium, and sulfate, all at safe levels below 1%.[1][8][9][10] Some salts mined in Pakistan are not suitable for food or industrial use without purification due to impurities.[1] Some salt crystals from this region have an off-white to transparent color, while the trace minerals in some veins of salt give it a pink, reddish, or beet-red color."

Well the study is done on chicken broth, which we Ray "Peaters" already know the problem with chicken. Grass fed beef I imagine wouldn't be nearly as bad, hence the reason to stick to shorter boiling times and drink more milk, where the cow filters all that stuff out for us. The bad in the broth is going to be determined on the quality going into it, including the water, which has it's own issues.

Dr. B

apparently refined sugars/salts are bleached to create that clean bright white color?

apparently refined sugars/salts are bleached to create that clean bright white color?
Sulphur dioxide bleaches sugar and many other foods. Admittedly I still buy organic white sugar.

Attachments

• 20210701_103535.jpg
    20210701_103535.jpg
    297.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20210701_103427.jpg
    20210701_103427.jpg
    322.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20210701_103516.jpg
    20210701_103516.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 11

Dr. B

Sulphur dioxide bleaches sugar and many other foods. Admittedly I still buy organic white sugar.
thats interesting
is this responsible for the widespread sulfur intolerance? you know, all these people having sensitivities to eggs and high sulfur foods.
IMO that makes refined sugar/salt less safe than I thought before!

thats interesting
is this responsible for the widespread sulfur intolerance? you know, all these people having sensitivities to eggs and high sulfur foods.
IMO that makes refined sugar/salt less safe than I thought before!
Maybe?!!

OP
Lenny

Lenny

What do you think are propeties of a good salt, besides being refinded?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals