The Risk Of Lead Contamination In Bone Broth Diets

Xisca

said there was a potential problem, especially with older animals, of heavy metal accumulation.

So now I tend to limit my cooking time to 2-3 hours, maybe 4, and I don't re-use them.

There is much more gelatine in a Young animal, and I use organic chicken and lamb.
And yes I reuse the bones each day with new veggies as long as the taste makes me feel I still get some nutrients from it!

Birdie

There is much more gelatine in a Young animal, and I use organic chicken and lamb.
And yes I reuse the bones each day with new veggies as long as the taste makes me feel I still get some nutrients from it!
Well, reusing the bones would be my inclination, but that would be the same as cooking them longer. Even though there are still nutrients, Ray wouldn't say it is safe. But, with a young animal it would be better than with an old one.
I wish I could get organic feet. But there are organic whole chickens around here. So glad to read that Ray uses chicken stock. For some reason I'd thought he saw problems with it.

tara

There is much more gelatine in a Young animal,
Is there? I thought there was more collagen in tough old meat sold for stewing?
So glad to read that Ray uses chicken stock. For some reason I'd thought he saw problems with it.
There might be something about unfavourable balance of amino acids (high in methionine?) in chicken meat that makes it less than ideal as the main source of protein? I think he's said chicken every 10 days might be OK. I figure choosing bits with lots of gristle and skinthat are higher in the collagen to make the stock should help mitigate that.

Xisca

Is there? I thought there was more collagen in tough old meat sold for stewing?
I mean in bones not in meat. Young animals build up their bones.
Just try to see the difference between beef bones and veal bones, and you will see which one makes more jelly!