Sudden Dairy Intolerance in Toddler

KateDownUnder

We are an absolute dairy-loving household, so I’m a bit at my whits end of what to do….

My son has just turned 2 a couple of months ago and has had organic jersey cows milk in various forms (mostly organic raw or unhomogenised and pasteurised) since he was 6 months. He LOVES milk (like me!) and is a deft hand of going to the fridge himself and pouring himself a glass (we mostly drink jersey raw ‘bath’ milk these days). For almost 3 months now, he’s been having lots of squirts of poo in his nappy throughout the day, not very often passing a decent stool. It’s also coincided with us miraculously and very drama-free finishing our breastfeeding journey so I’m wondering if his gut is just adjusting and perhaps his body isn’t produce lactase anymore?

I’ve tried raw and pasteurised goat milk, uht goat milk, camel milk and strained sheep and goats yoghurt yoghurts but quite immediately it seems to make him pass the squirty poos after consuming…..I’m concerned about removing dairy from his diet as it’s so nutritious for him, especially at this age of his development. Plus he loves it-so tantrums will ensue!

His diet consists of morning eggs cooked in butter (the butter doesn’t seem to react when I’ve taken all other dairy out) with sourdough and oj or fresh fruit, snacks throughout the day of jerky, sausage, crackers, potatoes, homemade muffins (now making them dairy free with coconut milk), fruit, coconut milk, juice and some sort of meat-centric dish for dinner (rotating chicken/lamb/white fish/beef-often using bone broth too).

The only thing I can think of is that I started giving him casein powder in his bedtime milk drink, like I drink every night, and I wonder if it was just too much concentrated casein for him and his slightly immature gut to handle?

So far I have eliminated all forms of dairy (I was even only using ghee for a week) and then tried to introduce only one source at a time. I THINK he did ok with a little bit of strained organic lactose Greek Cows yoghurt….but I also introduced this with another product at the same time, so need to investigate it again….My instinct is to be dairy-free for a week (thankfully he’s okay with straight unadulterated coconut milk from the can as ‘milk’) to settle his gut and then perhaps introduce a bit of lactose-free greek yoghurt. (Not sure if it’s lactose or casein he’s reacting to….)

I think it also coincided with some molars coming through, but they’ve popped now and the intolerance still seems to be there….

Appreciate your thoughts if you get the chance!

Peatful

The only thing I can think of is that I started giving him casein powder in his bedtime milk drink, like I drink every night, and I wonder if it was just too much concentrated casein for him and his slightly immature gut to handle?
This with the molars.

Your spot on.

You know what to do.

Lay off.
Let him reset.
Reintroduce milk slowly.
No more casein.

As an aside: food combining vs isolated digestion wise seems easier.
Meaning not a glass of milk alone- but milk and a sugar cookie. Or toasted bread and butter with milk.
Just worked better sometimes.

Best.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals