Does the quality of dairy and milk matter?

blackface

I would like to know if you do care about the quality of the milk and dairy products you eat. Because I do eat a lot of dairy from supermarket (milk, quark cheese, cottage, greek yogurt). And I know that the milk here is homogenized and pasteurized. Also its has to come from some poor quality cows that are fed grains and corn. I know that some people were against the dairy and milk (Trevis).

Lot of people here only eat and drink organic, raw, grass fed, A2 dairy which I dont have access to plus its kinda expensive as daily staple.

The next argument is low fat dairy vs whole fat dairy but I can get only the low fat dairy from low quality source aka homogenized and corn fed.

Whats your opinion?

2993041_orig.jpg

Limon9

Yeah, it matters. A plastic container of homogenized milk from corn-fed, growth-hormone treated cows is a particularly gnarly food. Travis was not against dairy, but cautioned against the use of specifically cow's milk and cheese due to the opioids and the folate receptor autoimmunity associated with homogenization.

JamesGatz

Whole milk/A2/Grassfed feels best for me

If A2 isn't available - I do A1 whole milk/grassfed

If not, A1 whole

Whole milk feels way better than 2% and I don't feel right drinking low-fat milk- feels like I'm barely getting nutrients when I do 2% and also in the US at least they are forced to add silicon supplements in the low-fat version

In my view, A1 actually isn't that bad if you chase it with something to soothe digestion, I never saw the opiates as much of a problem but I chase milk with carrots/pineapple and it keeps things moving

A-Tim

I try to buy the best quality milk I have access to, given that I can afford it. That means I buy pasteurized, unhomogenized, organic, pastured milk. I choose low-fat because I'd rather avoid the extra pufa (I drink about a litre a day, which adds up to a substantial amount of pufa if drinking whole milk).

I looked at some studies a while back and they indicated low fat milk still retained a lot of nutrients, more in some case (on a per ml basis). It probably has less of the fat soluble nutrients. I expect nutrient content to vary widely by region. Even nutrients like Riboflavin will vary a lot since it is destroyed easily by UV. Milk will be handled differently - some places will have it exposed to light, some won't.

I don't drink raw milk because they have made it illegal in Australia and I don't have access to it. There are small quantities of milk available in glass rather than plastic, but they're too expensive for me. If they were available and affordable I would get raw and glass contained - but best not to sweat over the things you can't control.

Dr. B

Yeah, it matters. A plastic container of homogenized milk from corn-fed, growth-hormone treated cows is a particularly gnarly food. Travis was not against dairy, but cautioned against the use of specifically cow's milk and cheese due to the opioids and the folate receptor autoimmunity associated with homogenization.

Can you explain what the folate receptor autoimmunity is? And it’s triggered only by A1 milk proteins or only by homogenized milk whether A2 or A1? Strange because homogenization is just meant to make the fat mixed into the milk

Whole milk/A2/Grassfed feels best for me

If A2 isn't available - I do A1 whole milk/grassfed

If not, A1 whole

Whole milk feels way better than 2% and I don't feel right drinking low-fat milk- feels like I'm barely getting nutrients when I do 2% and also in the US at least they are forced to add silicon supplements in the low-fat version

In my view, A1 actually isn't that bad if you chase it with something to soothe digestion, I never saw the opiates as much of a problem but I chase milk with carrots/pineapple and it keeps things moving

The silicon issue is with any vitamin fortified milk right? If its whole milk fortified with vitamin D, it could have the silica also? Also some vitamin fortified milks use propylene glycol and polysorbate 80 while others could possibly have silica or carrageenan…