A few questions in one thread about raw milk/dairy and liver

Couple of questions from my continued experimentation. I originally arrived at the forum seeking help from chronic low-back and hip pain at only 27 years old. I have since invested in myself with corrective exercise and neuromuscular therapy that seem to be getting me some pain free days so I am excited. As a restaurant server I am open to so many temptations to food, and with the ravenous metabolism I have, I don't always make my own meals. That is ok though, and I am alright with that. That being said, since eating more Peat-ish, I have not gotten sick once...even with my SO getting sick multiple times and sleeping next to me/sharing our house together. Experimentation seems to be the name of the game when seeing what agrees with my system and here are my questions thus far...

1. I go out of the way to get raw milk from a local lady in a nearby farming community. All grass-fed and stress free cattle. She only has 2 milking cows. Am I doing myself any nutritional favors by drinking milk this way, or is it just a nice way of supporting my local farmer.

2. When I drink too much milk, I experience digestive problems. Gassy/loose stools/rumbling gut/etc... I have been doing dairy again for the past 6 months, so I was trying to figure out why I am still having issues with larger amounts.

3. Since upping my dairy consumption, I have noticed my fingernail health degrade. The nails are now striated and not completely smooth like they once were. Also, the skin around the bed of a few nails looks inflamed and dry, as well as no longer smoothly transitions onto the base of the nail.

4. I recently bought a 2.7 lb grass-fed lamb liver and want to incorporate it into my food the next how ever long it takes to eat it. Any suggestions on how to start using? I weigh 170 lbs so I am trying to figure out how much to for each week, how to prepare (is raw the way to go?), and how to store excess.

5. I have been going to Trader Joe's a lot since they opened in my town, and the cheese selection is phenomenal and CHEAP! I am trying to prioritize which ones to eat though because I know Ray advocates animal rennet. That leaves me with Parmesan, gruyere, and that is about it. Everything else is Veg Rennet or just says "enzymes". Is animal rennet essential, or can I get away with others. I am worried about the cheese not coming from grass-fed milk though. Is that a tangible concern? There is a cheap organic grass-fed cheddar there, but it says enzymes on the back. There are also raw milk cheeses too. Such a confusing topic!

6. Is there a certain way I should be drinking my coffee? With a lot of milk? Do you guys warm the milk before putting it in the coffee? I thought I remember seeing that black coffee can cause adrenaline response, so the protein and fat from the milk is good at slowly releasing caffeine.

7. Gelatin....So I have a butt ton of the Great Lakes green can, but realized it was turning the diarrhea faucet on. I had the squirts for months on this stuff. I would put it in my coffee/oj/soups and my bowel movements were terrible. I tried to go without it for a few days, and regular BMs returned. How do I incorporate this stuff? Why is my body not happy with it?

8. With my new lifting schedule to help my muscle imbalances, I want to be fueling my body well for recovery and to help support it without it stressing out too much. How should I nourish it before and after a 1 hour workout involving weight lifting?

Thanks everyone who decides to read this far! You are all special people and continue my fascination with all things Ray Peat!

Gl;itch.e

Re: A few questions in one thread about raw milk/dairy and l

I only feel I can lend an opinion to a few of these, so Ill offer what I can.

EndlessResearch said:
3. Since upping my dairy consumption, I have noticed my fingernail health degrade. The nails are now striated and not completely smooth like they once were. Also, the skin around the bed of a few nails looks inflamed and dry, as well as no longer smoothly transitions onto the base of the nail.
I have noticed this lately. Im labouring under the assumption that this is due to a deficiency of something brought on by a higher metabolic rate. Perhaps Vitamin A? Since adding a bit of extra supplemental A I've noticed they are starting to grow in a bit better.

6. Is there a certain way I should be drinking my coffee? With a lot of milk? Do you guys warm the milk before putting it in the coffee? I thought I remember seeing that black coffee can cause adrenaline response, so the protein and fat from the milk is good at slowly releasing caffeine.
Lately I've been playing round with how I take my morning coffee's. And while I don't particularly enjoy sugar in my coffee I find that 2-3 teaspoons of sugar and about 1/3 to half a cup of milk makes the coffee more warming and less likely to lower my temperature afterwards.

8. With my new lifting schedule to help my muscle imbalances, I want to be fueling my body well for recovery and to help support it without it stressing out too much. How should I nourish it before and after a 1 hour workout involving weight lifting?
Eat a good meal an hour or so prior. Some protein and some carbs (I like cheese and some fruit).

If you feel the exercise is stressful enough adding a workout drink with some BCAAs and some sugar can help offset any muscle breakdown. I train with weights exclusively for about 90-120minutes and have a drink that contains about 10g BCAA's and 30g Sugars (about 10g fructose 20g glucose) as well as some salt, magnesium and calcium.

Afterward I like a little B1 (about 50mg) to help with the bodies clearence of lactate. If you eat starches in your diet, after a workout involving resistance training would be the best time to eat them.

OP
E
Re: A few questions in one thread about raw milk/dairy and l

Thanks for all the knowledgable responses. What do you make for your workout drink? I also wait tables for long bouts of time, and have no time to eat except for snacks I bring. This can be up to 8 hours, and I know that is really stressful on my body to do that. I try to bring healthy "bars" to snack on, and I enjoy the simple ingredients of Lara Bars, but they contain some nuts, so I would like to find something different. As far as the nails and skin health go, I guess I will have to prepare that liver in the fridge somehow. Any thoughts on the raw milk/cheese and grass fed vs. non-grass fed questions? What about the over-consumption problems with dairy and gelatin leading to digestive problems?