How long for thyroid to return to normal function

mgrabs

After using NDT or synthetic t4 t3 for 3+ months. How long does it take for your TSH & thyroid function to return to equilibrium?

After stopping do you encounter uncomfortable symptoms? Is it temporary?

youngsinatra

After using NDT or synthetic t4 t3 for 3+ months. How long does it take for your TSH & thyroid function to return to equilibrium?

I haven‘t had the experience myself, yet, but most people normally return to their pre-thyroid-usage-baseline relatively quickly.

The half life of T4 is 7 days, so the T4 blood value will continually reduce over 1-2 weeks, while the TSH will likely continually rise to encourage endogenous T4 production again.

I personally would not quit it cold-turkey, but slowly decrease the thyroid dosage by 1/4 per week. I believe, Ray said the thyroid will fully recalibrate after 2-3 days off thyroid (if I remember correctly)

OP
M

mgrabs

I haven‘t had the experience myself, yet, but most people normally return to their pre-thyroid-usage-baseline relatively quickly.

The half life of T4 is 7 days, so the T4 blood value will continually reduce over 1-2 weeks, while the TSH will likely continually rise to encourage endogenous T4 production again.

I personally would not quit it cold-turkey, but slowly decrease the thyroid dosage by 1/4 per week. I believe, Ray said the thyroid will fully recalibrate after 2-3 days off thyroid (if I remember correctly)
Gotcha. I was at a grain and a half. Went to a grain and went to 1/4 grain last week. So kind of cold turkey as of 8 days ago. Feel kinda tired. Little constipated now

liam183

A study I saw showed that TSH levels were back to baseline, or improved in hypothyroid patients, only 6 days after stopping exogenous thyroid hormone cold turkey

OP
M

mgrabs

A study I saw showed that TSH levels were back to baseline, or improved in hypothyroid patients, only 6 days after stopping exogenous thyroid hormone cold turkey
Wow really? I wonder what i will be at today after 8 days no hormone. I did bloods & showed my tsh at 0.14 which was too low for me while taking thyroid. Never felt like myself. Had hyper symptoms with anxiety. I was going to get blood 4 weeks after stopping.

After stopping i feel a little foggy? Kinda bleh mood. Sleep wakings with some occasional night sweats.

Attached are my bloods on thyroid medication

Attachments

• 927699F3-A72D-480B-A5DD-C3C2531E1DCB.png
    927699F3-A72D-480B-A5DD-C3C2531E1DCB.png
    50.6 KB · Views: 78

youngsinatra

Wow really? I wonder what i will be at today after 8 days no hormone. I did bloods & showed my tsh at 0.14 which was too low for me while taking thyroid. Never felt like myself. Had hyper symptoms with anxiety. I was going to get blood 4 weeks after stopping.

After stopping i feel a little foggy? Kinda bleh mood. Sleep wakings with some occasional night sweats.

Attached are my bloods on thyroid medication
Interesting labs. Which thyroid product did you use?

Did you have hyper temperature or pulse? Or was it possibly adrenaline surges?

OP
M

mgrabs

Interesting labs. Which thyroid product did you use?

Did you have hyper temperature or pulse? Or was it possibly adrenaline surges?
Temperature never really climbed. But more shakiness, anxiety and memory issues. Felt out of reality. I used levothyroxine and liothyronine prescribed from doc

Hans

Forum Supporter

If your TSH was 3 before thyroid, it will likely go back to 3 within 6-8 days after stopping. So if you feel hypothyroid, it's likely because you were hypothyroid before taking thyroid.

OP
M

mgrabs

If your TSH was 3 before thyroid, it will likely go back to 3 within 6-8 days after stopping. So if you feel hypothyroid, it's likely because you were hypothyroid before taking thyroid.
Wouldn’t it somewhat improve? Based off of getting through a stressful period of time or filling in nutritional gaps that weren’t taken care of?

Hans

Forum Supporter
Wouldn’t it somewhat improve? Based off of getting through a stressful period of time or filling in nutritional gaps that weren’t taken care of?
Yes if those things have improved, then it should.

Hans

Forum Supporter
Great. What is considered an optimal TSH? is in the 2s okay? I used to be 2.8 with no symptoms!
Symptoms are definitely the biggest thing I go off of and thyroid meds are kind of like the last thing I explore. Most times people don't need thyroid when implementing the right dietary things and/or fixing the gut.

OP
M

mgrabs

Symptoms are definitely the biggest thing I go off of and thyroid meds are kind of like the last thing I explore. Most times people don't need thyroid when implementing the right dietary things and/or fixing the gut.
Very true. What are your favorite ways of taking care of the gut? Ive been incorporating a nice gut smoothie in the a.m with a good protein source, raw liver, colostrum and some bone broth

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals