How Do You Experiment With Peat When Living With A Partner?

Bart1

I think this is an excellent topic. I'm new to this board and enjoying all the information I'm getting here. I experience a lot of trouble with my thyroid lately (suffering from terrible insomnia) first started with paleo that didn't really help. I also have a girlfriend who is not really confiscated with living very healthy. She supports me as far as she can, but with dinner I cannot everyday eat peat's recommendations. I have to try to don't be to much of a perfectionist is this I guess, stressing to much over diet is also not healthy and probably counterproductive. How do you guys approach dinner with your partner ? Is eating 80% of time Peat friendly enough, or should I first dig myself out of the hole before letting a bit of PUFAs into my life ?

Last edited:

Glassy

I think this is an excellent topic. I'm new to this board and enjoying all the information I'm getting here. I experience a lot of trouble with my thyroid lately (suffering from terrible insomnia) first started with paleo that didn't really help. I also have a girlfriend who is not really confiscated with living very healthy. She supports me as far as she can, but with dinner I cannot everyday eat peat's recommendations. I have to try to don't be to much of a perfectionist is this I guess, stressing to much over diet is also not healthy and probably counterproductive. How do you guys approach dinner with your partner ? Is eating 80% of time Peat friendly enough, or should I first dig myself out of the hole before letting a bit of PUFAs into my life ?

I started by abstaining from anything with high PUFAs. When offered I’d simply reply “no thanks - PUFAs” (I’m not sure how others prounounce it but I say “poo fars” and of course everyone has a bit of a laugh). Over time my wife has limited her intake significantly and I now eat chicken with the chicken fat trimmed and saturated fat added (I’ve relaxed a bit - I even picked up some locally grown avocados the other day). Now that I believe PUFAs to be largely toxic I find foods containing large amounts of them to be unappealing (I don’t feel deprivation or a sense of missing out). I usually weigh up the ratio of PUFA to SAFA in my mind (ie pizza is acceptable but not preferable while anything deep fried is a no go).

Make it easy for her by providing alternative fat sources when cooking like a good tasting coconut oil and a liquid coconut oil (many find this easier and it looks like what they are familiar with). If you make it easier to avoid PUFAs then half your battle is won. The trouble is that so much convenience food is riddled with the stuff.

L

lollipop

The trouble is that so much convenience food is riddled with the stuff.
This. I consider eating out and preprepared food to be a straight line to long term health problems. Homemade food, fresh real ingredients is key. I like this idea of providing your friend good fats to cook with. I think overall getting involved in food preparation as a team would solve most problems and allow you to teach her and grow intimacy at the same time :):

Blossom

Forum Supporter
hi , it would be great if you give me some advices to convince my future wife about living a healthy lifestyle ( workout , diet , etc). i mean if someone is not following a healthy lifestyle all his life and then you try to tell him/her what you should do they may not accept your advice
Sorry I missed this post. I've basically decided not to stress over what my husband chooses to eat. He's a beer, chips and peanut butter kind of guy but I love him so I respect his choices and he respects mine when it comes to food. I prepare all the family dinners so it's easier for me in that respect I suppose. I do make an effort to prepare meals everyone can enjoy though. Most of the family meals I prepare have some type of meat and starch. I add collagen to the meals to balance the muscle meat protein and typically stick with potatoes, rice and corn as the starch which I have to do anyway since I'm celiac.
For example last night I made tacos and used hard corn shells that had palm oil rather than canola or soybean oil. I added collagen to the taco meat and cut up lettuce for my husband since he likes it and I don't. It's the best compromise I can come up with since sharing meals together is very important to me.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I love this @Blossom. Feels extremely mature and Healthy :):
Thanks, it didn't come easy for either one of us but there are so many issues in life that I'm not willing to let food be one of them. I'm also sure there are plenty of people that would love eat at Taco Bell with my husband so I think I can manage to make him tacos occasionally.:D

Herbie

As long as your partner knows your a mad scientist who conducts all kinds of experiments then it will be ok. Living with a mad scientist means they too will have all kinds of experiments conducted on them.

The lady's above lacing things into their husbands food are crafty. I imagine pregnenolone powder into the coffee, vitamin k into the raw olive oil on the salad, putting eggs in milkshakes, testosterone powder sprinkled on birthday cakes, Carefully emptying half his after shave and replacing it with pansterone, thyroid tablets crushed and put in hot chocolate at supper. The husbands will be non the wiser.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
As long as your partner knows your a mad scientist who conducts all kinds of experiments then it will be ok. Living with a mad scientist means they too will have all kinds of experiments conducted on them.

The lady's above lacing things into their husbands food are crafty. I imagine pregnenolone powder into the coffee, vitamin k into the raw olive oil on the salad, putting eggs in milkshakes, testosterone powder sprinkled on birthday cakes, Carefully emptying half his after shave and replacing it with pansterone, thyroid tablets crushed and put in hot chocolate at supper. The husbands will be non the wiser.
:lol::rolling

Richiebogie

Hopefully the oysters end up in your soup and not in your orange juice or cappuccino!

Mauritio

normally texts dont make me laugh ,but this one did :tearsofjoy:

Aymen

Sorry I missed this post. I've basically decided not to stress over what my husband chooses to eat. He's a beer, chips and peanut butter kind of guy but I love him so I respect his choices and he respects mine when it comes to food. I prepare all the family dinners so it's easier for me in that respect I suppose. I do make an effort to prepare meals everyone can enjoy though. Most of the family meals I prepare have some type of meat and starch. I add collagen to the meals to balance the muscle meat protein and typically stick with potatoes, rice and corn as the starch which I have to do anyway since I'm celiac.
For example last night I made tacos and used hard corn shells that had palm oil rather than canola or soybean oil. I added collagen to the taco meat and cut up lettuce for my husband since he likes it and I don't. It's the best compromise I can come up with since sharing meals together is very important to me.
alright , but just tell me how you fell when you accept to go with him to a dinner in a restaurant when you know that they fully cook with vegetable oils loaded with PUFA ?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
alright , but just tell me how you fell when you accept to go with him to a dinner in a restaurant when you know that they fully cook with vegetable oils loaded with PUFA ?
I just make the best choices possible for myself according to where we are at the time. Steamed or grilled options or sometimes steak and baked potato are a few examples. At one pub husband likes I get cottage cheese with raw carrots and cucumber and a coke while he has wings. I don't think there is anything wrong with not going somewhere unless there is food you can both enjoy despite your different eating styles.

opethfeldt

The reality is, I've become a better man and person as a result of following Peat ideas. My girlfriend understands that and never judges me for some of the admittedly strange things (to her) I do. I think having a non judgmental partner is very important if you want to be happy long term.

L

lollipop

The reality is, I've become a better man and person as a result of following Peat ideas. My girlfriend understands that and never judges me for some of the admittedly strange things (to her) I do. I think having a non judgmental partner is very important if you want to be happy long term.
+1

L

lollipop

I just make the best choices possible for myself according to where we are at the time. Steamed or grilled options or sometimes steak and baked potato are a few examples. At one pub husband likes I get cottage cheese with raw carrots and cucumber and a coke while he has wings. I don't think there is anything wrong with not going somewhere unless there is food you can both enjoy despite your different eating styles.
+1

Aymen

good to hear that , i,m personally quite strict about that , university restaurant is loaded with a lot of vegetables oils , even the salad they dress it with the bad oils , i can only take fruits from there and a cheap grain fed yogurt but only 1 fruit .. so i cook the food myself and bring it up there ( i,m in vacance and i still remember all those bad days ) .. for the partner i,m even stuck to ask a woman out just thinking about how will she accept following the science , again i can ask her for a coffee but only coffee .. no restaurants for me , no tea places , no fast food places just coffee .. yes maybe i,m strict because my father got type 2 diabetes and he didn't follow my advice , i still advising him but he accepts a little of what i say .

Blossom

Forum Supporter
good to hear that , i,m personally quite strict about that , university restaurant is loaded with a lot of vegetables oils , even the salad they dress it with the bad oils , i can only take fruits from there and a cheap grain fed yogurt but only 1 fruit .. so i cook the food myself and bring it up there ( i,m in vacance and i still remember all those bad days ) .. for the partner i,m even stuck to ask a woman out just thinking about how will she accept following the science , again i can ask her for a coffee but only coffee .. no restaurants for me , no tea places , no fast food places just coffee .. yes maybe i,m strict because my father got type 2 diabetes and he didn't follow my advice , i still advising him but he accepts a little of what i say .
Well it's better to know what is acceptable for you than to marry someone and realize you are stuck in an impossible situation. I think you will eventually meet someone who can respect and accept your eating style.

Aymen

Well it's better to know what is acceptable for you than to marry someone and realize you are stuck in an impossible situation. I think you will eventually meet someone who can respect and accept your eating style.
yes i hope .. a stressful marriage is not good so patience is required !

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

You can't go to a restaurant? Meat and rice? Burger and don't eat the fries? Steak and potatoes? Every restaraunt serves coke. Stop living your life in a little bubble and blaming everyone but yourself 1 restaraunt meal isnt going to give you diabetes. Even Peat himself says something like 400 iu vitamin E could combat the pufa of a typical restaraunt meal.

Why do you need a partner that "accepts following the science" ? Can she not be entitled to her own opinions? If she wants to eat PUFA then she'll eat PUFA. You don't want an all obeying servant of a partner do you?

Last edited:

Aymen

You can't go to a restaurant? Meat and rice? Burger and don't eat the fries? Steak and potatoes? Every restaraunt serves coke. Stop living your life in a little bubble and blaming everyone but yourself 1 restaraunt meal isnt going to give you diabetes. Even Peat himself says something like 400 iu vitamin E could combat the pufa of a typical restaraunt meal.

Why do you need a partner that "accepts following the science" ? Can she not be entitled to her own opinions? If she wants to eat PUFA then she'll eat PUFA. You don't want an all obeying servant of a partner do you?
yes how will i know if the meat ( lamb for example) is grass fed or grain fed ? how will i know what they have put in the rice ? are they adding additives to food ? i don't drink coke anyway .. i can't buy supplements ,, no i don't want but i will not make it as a rule but advice .. if someone cares about his partner why doesn't he/she give him advice?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals