How Do You Experiment With Peat When Living With A Partner?

OP
raypeatclips

raypeatclips

@&%$! -In all seriousness, I probably eat closer to obsessively clean (i.e. good sat fats and low PUFA), however, I have noticed that when I stray outside of my standard menu items, I tend to develop ill feelings. This happened as recently as Saturday night, when I ate in a Mediterranean restaurant and had lamb cooked on a skewer, with fresh mango juice. That night I had to excuse myself to go to bed early.

What's wrong with lamb skewer and mango juice?

Arnold Grape

What's wrong with lamb skewer and mango juice?
I don't know? It could be that I am having a reaction to lamb and it's pointless for me to discuss that here? I make homemade jello often with mango juice, so I don't think it originates there. Previously I ate a similar meal in a different restaurant, with homemade pita and hummus and felt similarly weird. I will own up to getting weirded out about eating in restaurants, however - I think Peat-eating, despite how defensive people like to be about this fact, induces orthorexia.

Blossom

Forum Supporter
however - I think Peat-eating, despite how defensive people like to be about this fact, induces orthorexia.
I do think it can be a tricky situation but I have noticed that 4.5 years into peating I can tolerate just about any food. That doesn't mean I eat everything I can tolerate but my diet is a lot more varied than it was early on. Just improving health over time seems to solve a lot of orthorexia. How to tease out if some reactions are orthorexia induced or just subpar metabolism is the hard part imo and requires being brutally honest with ourselves and even then we might come to the wrong conclusion occasionally. It's ok though because we are constantly learning and fine tuning things according to where we are at any given time.

DaveFoster

I will own up to getting weirded out about eating in restaurants
Being in a public space can trigger exhaustion, and also being around loved ones can have a therapeutic effect and promote relaxation.

Some family members go to church on Sunday, and when they return home, they often nap once during the day (whereas during previous days they haven't napped,) eat dinner and retire early.

Glassy

I don't know? It could be that I am having a reaction to lamb and it's pointless for me to discuss that here? I make homemade jello often with mango juice, so I don't think it originates there. Previously I ate a similar meal in a different restaurant, with homemade pita and hummus and felt similarly weird. I will own up to getting weirded out about eating in restaurants, however - I think Peat-eating, despite how defensive people like to be about this fact, induces orthorexia.

I find a pint of a good pale ale takes away any weird feelings. I started getting them looking at the sheen on my veggies that came with my steak the other day (is it butter or vegetable oil?). By the time I’d finished the pint I was back to my usual level of weirdness.

Bart1

Avoiding PUFA is one thing. You can mitigate the damage with vitamin E and/or the ratio to SFA. However since my health is still in decline and my gut issues become worse I’m at the point of avoiding starch. But that is something that’s almost everywhere and I really don’t like going down this road; it’s all stressful and so limiting; however I seem to run out of options:-(

RayPeatFan777

Avoiding PUFA is one thing. You can mitigate the damage with vitamin E and/or the ratio to SFA. However since my health is still in decline and my gut issues become worse I’m at the point of avoiding starch. But that is something that’s almost everywhere and I really don’t like going down this road; it’s all stressful and so limiting; however I seem to run out of options:-(
Thats the catch-22. Its stressful to avoid starch, thus lowering your metabolism through stress but if you have SIBO you need to remove starch.

Eating a diet with starch but no PUFA is quite limiting enough, but a no starch diet just seems impossible to me.

Bart1

Thats the catch-22. Its stressful to avoid starch, thus lowering your metabolism through stress but if you have SIBO you need to remove starch.

Eating a diet with starch but no PUFA is quite limiting enough, but a no starch diet just seems impossible to me.
Indeed. I suspect I have SIBO now. But even fruit/sugar is problematic. It all boils down to improving gut..

dreamcatcher

I'm doing great on starch! It's individual. I've also experienced health improvement since reducing fruits and replacing them with starch. The reason for this is because I believe I had fatty liver disease, which greatly improved since lowering my fructose intake.

Bart1

I'm doing great on starch! It's individual. I've also experienced health improvement since reducing fruits and replacing them with starch. The reason for this is because I believe I had fatty liver disease, which greatly improved since lowering my fructose intake.
Wow that’s the opposite of what I would expect; given Peats positive view on fructose for liver health. I think I have fatty liver and insulin resistance snd to top it off gut disbiosis

dreamcatcher

Indeed. I suspect I have SIBO now. But even fruit/sugar is problematic. It all boils down to improving gut..
Wow that’s the opposite of what I would expect; given Peats positive view on fructose for liver health. I think I have fatty liver and insulin resistance snd to top it off gut disbiosis
I'm sorry to hear that. Chris Masterjohn has many articles and podcasts about how to heal fatty liver and insulin resistance. The biggest offenders are a high fat diet, PUFAs and fructose. Coconut oil dramatically improves insulin resistance but keep in mind that the overall fat intake has to be low.
I excluded all fruits from my diet and reduced total fats for about 2 months and the results are great! I also suffered from insulin resistance for many years and my energy levels were unstable. I got really fatigued after even 20 mins walk. I also had eye bags regularly (for over 35 years) and I no longer have them.

Bart1

I'm sorry to hear that. Chris Masterjohn has many articles and podcasts about how to heal fatty liver and insulin resistance. The biggest offenders are a high fat diet, PUFAs and fructose. Coconut oil dramatically improves insulin resistance but keep in mind that the overall fat intake has to be low.
I excluded all fruits from my diet and reduced total fats for about 2 months and the results are great! I also suffered from insulin resistance for many years and my energy levels were unstable. I got really fatigued after even 20 mins walk. I also had eye bags regularly (for over 35 years) and I no longer have them.
Thanks; will check it out!