From Coffee Headaches To A Healthy Thyroid

J.R.K

“In the book This Is Your Brain on Food, nutritional psychiatrist Uma Naidoo, M.D., recommends buying dark-roasted, fresh coffee beans to support brain health. Compared to a light or medium roast, dark-roasted beans tend to have the lowest levels of acrylamide.

"Acrylamide, a chemical formed when coffee beans are roasted, can inhibit neurotransmission, destroy dopamine neurons, and increase oxidative stress," Naidoo writes. Avoiding this chemical by opting for a darker roast is one way to protect brain health.”

One of the beliefs that Jason Christoff extols is that the reason there are so many coffee shops in every city and town is that coffee is something that makes mind control easier for the elites.
I have never seen any actual evidence for this statement to be true but it is out there.
Has anyone ever seen any studies to validate or disprove a statement like this?

OP
Rinse & rePeat
One of the beliefs that Jason Christoff extols is that the reason there are so many coffee shops in every city and town is that coffee is something that makes mind control easier for the elites.
I have never seen any actual evidence for this statement to be true but it is out there.
Has anyone ever seen any studies to validate or disprove a statement like this?
What?!! That sounds too far fetched to me.

J.R.K

Sorry to hear you have had such an awful time. I don't know if you you have looked up what nasty stuff is in Starbucks drinks, but I gave up "coffee house" drinks long ago. Also coffee and potatoes are our most toxic food with the most pesticides used on them, so if you buy nothing else organic it is advised to spend the extra to buy organic on coffee and potatoes. With that being said I don't think I would drink coffee either if I were you. I suspect you may have an allergy to coffee like my oldest son does, but despite that fact, he still drinks coffee just fine, but he doesn't put anything in his coffee, just black. I had histamine issues coming into the Ray Peat diet and coffee, sugar and salt have saved me. I would be interested to know how your blood tests turn out too from your experience.
Good advice on the potatoes and coffee.
I am curious @Rinse & rePeat what is your thoughts on potatoes and vegetables in particular?
I personally love mashed potatoes as it gives the calcium and saturated fat from butter and milk added, with the note that they need to be extremely well cooked in order to mash properly.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I thought the same, hence my query as to anyone else verifying or debunking this statement.
I just know too many private coffee shop owners, over the years, and there were no government officials that gave them incentives or coerced them into choosing that type of business.

OccamzRazer

I should think so too! Do you taste the egg yolk? I have been putting gelatin in my coffee which I should think constitutes a meal too, but it doesn’t seem like it would taste as easy in cold iced coffee.
Not really. If you add an equal amount of honey, the only noticeable thing you get from the yolk is a pleasant level of creaminess.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants.“ -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“…researchers from a study published Monday in The Annals of Internal Medicine concluded. Those who drank 1.5 to 3.5 cups of coffee per day, even with a teaspoon of sugar, were up to 30 percent less likely to die during the study period than those who didn’t drink coffee. Those who drank unsweetened coffee were 16 to 21 percent less likely to die during the study period, with those drinking about three cups per day having the lowest risk of death when compared with noncoffee drinkers.“

“The data was inconclusive for those who drank coffee with artificial sweeteners.

“It’s huge. There are very few things that reduce your mortality by 30 percent,” said Dr. Christina Wee, an associate professor of medicine at Harvard Medical School and a deputy editor of the scientific journal where the study was published.“

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 8FCF7247-06AA-4853-99CC-6E07B777EB7B.jpeg
    8FCF7247-06AA-4853-99CC-6E07B777EB7B.jpeg
    363.6 KB · Views: 16
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“According to the current state of knowledge, coffee consumption is not associated with the majority of cancers although the results of studies on bladder and lung cancer remain conflicting. In case of colorectal, liver and breast cancers, coffee drinking may even have a protective effect.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Researchers found that those participants who drank any amount of unsweetened coffee were between 16% and 21% less likely to die than people who did not consume any coffee. Based on a fairly substantial sample size, the findings show that drinking even the occasional cup of joe reduced your odds of death by up to one-fifth. Coffee consumption in this group ranged from less than a cup per day to greater than four. In every case, they had lower mortality than non-coffee drinkers, when adjusting for other lifestyle and hazard factors.

This is where the study results get a little counterintuitive. The common wisdom is that unsweetened drinks are healthier than sweetened drinks. Thus, the correlation with black coffee and mortality should be strongest. Yet, the study found that those who drank between 1.5 and 3.5 cups of coffee, sweetened with sugar, were between 29% and 31% less likely to die over the study period. We have to imagine the half cups found at both ends of this range were a result of folks forgetting about their coffee and letting it grow cold. It happens.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In a study in which drinking hot water or coffee was compared with drinking room-temperature coffee or caffeine, it was found that the hot liquids caused flushing, but cool coffee and caffeine didn't.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Coffee is often avoided by people with rosacea, but it is a very good source of niacin and magnesium, and caffeine has some of the same cell-protective functions as niacinamide.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Drinking coffee seems to be very protective against developing diabetes. Its niacin and magnesium are clearly important, but it is also a rich source of antioxidants, and it helps to maintain normal thyroid and progesterone production. Chocolate is probably protective too, and it is a good source of magnesium and antioxidants.” -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Again i think your strategy should be to get more bang for your buck, so eating coffee grounds would make you use much less for the same benefits….

‘Yes, coffee grounds can be eaten. In fact, they are often consumed by people who want to boost their health or lose weight. Some individuals even choose to eat coffee grounds as a snack. They are safe to consume and offer a variety of benefits. Here are some of the benefits of eating coffee grounds:

“One of the main benefits of eating coffee grounds is that they are high in antioxidants. These compounds help protect our bodies from free radicals and other damaging substances that can lead to disease and premature aging. Consuming coffee grounds also supports brain health, as it helps improve cognitive function and memory retention.

Another benefit of eating coffee grounds is that they contain nutrients like magnesium, potassium, iron, zinc, manganese, copper, and selenium. These nutrients play key roles in maintaining healthy skin and hair as well as overall energy levels and metabolism.
In addition, coffee grounds contain fiber. This important nutrient helps keep us regular and aids in digestion. Fiber also helps to lower cholesterol levels and stabilizes blood sugar levels.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Caffeine synergizes with progesterone, and increases its concentration in blood and tissues." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
My second cup of coffee today is an “Affigato”. I have been having them in the afternoons lately, and the really curb my appetite. Just brew up a shot of espresso, or a double shot for me, and let it slightly cool for a couple of minutes. Put a scoop or two of ice cream in a coffee mug and pour the espresso over the top. I like to top mine with the zest of an organic orange. If you are watching your weight use my “no cream or yolks” ice cream. It is low in fat and much higher in protein and calcium.

“Let's compare Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream to mine:

2/3 cup Haagen Daz has:
fat 23 grams
protein 5 grams
Calcium 10%

2/3 cup of MINE:
fat 11 grams
protein 11 grams
35% calcium”

Attachments

• A7A4BAD0-6D54-4697-88A9-DFC6BE24E2F9.jpeg
    A7A4BAD0-6D54-4697-88A9-DFC6BE24E2F9.jpeg