Balzac's Coffee

Tarmander

"“The Pleasures and Pains of Coffee”
by Honore de Balzac
translated from the French by Robert Onopa
Coffee is a great power in my life; I have observed its effects on an epic scale. Coffee roasts your insides. Many people claim coffee inspires them, but, as everybody knows, coffee only makes boring people even more boring. Think about it: although more grocery stores in Paris are staying open until midnight, few writers are actually becoming more spiritual.

But as Brillat-Savarin has correctly observed, coffee sets the blood in motion and stimulates the muscles; it accelerates the digestive processes, chases away sleep, and gives us the capacity to engage a little longer in the exercise of our intellects. It is on this last point, in particular, that I want to add my personal experience to Brillat-Savarin's observations.

Coffee affects the diaphragm and the plexus of the stomach, from which it reaches the brain by barely perceptible radiations that escape complete analysis; that aside, we may surmise that our primary nervous flux conducts an electricity emitted by coffee when we drink it. Coffee's power changes over time. [Italian composer Gioacchino] Rossini has personally experienced some of these effects as, of course, have I. "Coffee," Rossini told me, "is an affair of fifteen or twenty days; just the right amount of time, fortunately, to write an opera." This is true. But the length of time during which one can enjoy the benefits of coffee can be extended.

For a while - for a week or two at most - you can obtain the right amount of stimulation with one, then two cups of coffee brewed from beans that have been crushed with gradually increasing force and infused with hot water.

For another week, by decreasing the amount of water used, by pulverizing the coffee even more finely, and by infusing the grounds with cold water, you can continue to obtain the same cerebral power.

When you have produced the finest grind with the least water possible, you double the dose by drinking two cups at a time; particularly vigorous constitutions can tolerate three cups. In this manner one can continue working for several more days.

Finally, I have discovered a horrible, rather brutal method that I recommend only to men of excessive vigor, men with thick black hair and skin covered with liver spots, men with big square hands and legs shaped like bowling pins. It is a question of using finely pulverized, dense coffee, cold and anhydrous, consumed on an empty stomach. This coffee falls into your stomach, a sack whose velvety interior is lined with tapestries of suckers and papillae. The coffee finds nothing else in the sack, and so it attacks these delicate and voluptuous linings; it acts like a food and demands digestive juices; it wrings and twists the stomach for these juices, appealing as a pythoness appeals to her god; it brutalizes these beautiful stomach linings as a wagon master abuses ponies; the plexus becomes inflamed; sparks shoot all the way up to the brain. From that moment on, everything becomes agitated. Ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages. Memories charge in, bright flags on high; the cavalry of metaphor deploys with a magnificent gallop; the artillery of logic rushes up with clattering wagons and cartridges; on imagination's orders, sharpshooters sight and fire; forms and shapes and characters rear up; the paper is spread with ink - for the nightly labor begins and ends with torrents of this black water, as a battle opens and concludes with black powder.

I recommended this way of drinking coffee to a friend of mine, who absolutely wanted to finish a job promised for the next day: he thoughthe'd been poisoned and took to his bed, which he guarded like a married man. He was tall, blond, slender and had thinning hair; he apparently had a stomach of papier-mache. There has been, on my part, a failure of observation.

When you have reached the point of consuming this kind of coffee, then become exhausted and decide that you really must have more, even though you make it of the finest ingredients and take it perfectly fresh, you will fall into horrible sweats, suffer feebleness of the nerves, and undergo episodes of severe drowsiness. I don't know what would happen if you kept at it then: a sensible nature counseled me to stop at this point, seeing that immediate death was not otherwise my fate. To be restored, one must begin with recipes made with milk and chicken and other white meats: finally the tension on the harp strings eases, and one returns to the relaxed, meandering, simple-minded, and cryptogamous life of the retired bourgeoisie.

The state coffee puts one in when it is drunk on an empty stomach under these magisterial conditions produces a kind of animation that looks like anger: one's voice rises, one's gestures suggest unhealthy impatience: one wants everything to proceed with the speed of ideas; one becomes brusque, ill-tempered about nothing. One actually becomes that fickle character, The Poet, condemned by grocers and their like. One assumes that everyone is equally lucid. A man of spirit must therefore avoid going out in public. I discovered this singular state through a series of accidents that made me lose, without any effort, the ecstasy I had been feeling. Some friends, with whom I had gone out to the country, witnessed me arguing about everything, haranguing with monumental bad faith. The following day I recognized my wrongdoing and we searched the cause. My friends were wise men of the first rank, and we found the problem soon enough: coffee wanted its victim.

Ed. note: Transcription credit to jaybabcock.com, from which I snitched the essay out of nervousness that it might disappear."

lindsay

Finally, I have discovered a horrible, rather brutal method that I recommend only to men of excessive vigor, men with thick black hair and skin covered with liver spots, men with big square hands and legs shaped like bowling pins. It is a question of using finely pulverized, dense coffee, cold and anhydrous, consumed on an empty stomach. This coffee falls into your stomach, a sack whose velvety interior is lined with tapestries of suckers and papillae. The coffee finds nothing else in the sack, and so it attacks these delicate and voluptuous linings; it acts like a food and demands digestive juices; it wrings and twists the stomach for these juices, appealing as a pythoness appeals to her god; it brutalizes these beautiful stomach linings as a wagon master abuses ponies; the plexus becomes inflamed; sparks shoot all the way up to the brain. From that moment on, everything becomes agitated. Ideas quick-march into motion like battalions of a grand army to its legendary fighting ground, and the battle rages. Memories charge in, bright flags on high; the cavalry of metaphor deploys with a magnificent gallop; the artillery of logic rushes up with clattering wagons and cartridges; on imagination's orders, sharpshooters sight and fire; forms and shapes and characters rear up; the paper is spread with ink - for the nightly labor begins and ends with torrents of this black water, as a battle opens and concludes with black powder.

This perfectly describes the last cold brew I made...... I have since stopped consuming it and gone back to my lovely espresso machine, which produces a more moderate and enjoyable brew :): But the taste of cold brew, in all its grit and glory, is wonderful.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

This perfectly describes the last cold brew I made...... I have since stopped consuming it and gone back to my lovely espresso machine, which produces a more moderate and enjoyable brew :) But the taste of cold brew, in all its grit and glory, is wonderful.

Yeah I love cold brew. The other day I had a large 32oz cold brew with a couple shots of espresso. That had some kick.

Uselis

Awesome just recently read it. On top of famous drinkers I found out that Voltaire was consuming 40 - 50 cups a day!

lindsay

Yeah I love cold brew. The other day I had a large 32oz cold brew with a couple shots of espresso. That had some kick.

Oooh! Cold Brew with espresso shots sounds amazing! Although, the way I make my cold brew is basically like drinking coffee sludge - turkish coffee grind sitting at room temperature in water for two days. Lots of residue gets through the filter. Not to be taken on an empty stomach ;-) I just ordered some mushroom coffee - I'm really excited to try that!

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Oooh! Cold Brew with espresso shots sounds amazing! Although, the way I make my cold brew is basically like drinking coffee sludge - turkish coffee grind sitting at room temperature in water for two days. Lots of residue gets through the filter. Not to be taken on an empty stomach ;-) I just ordered some mushroom coffee - I'm really excited to try that!

What kind of mushrooms? I have never heard of this.

lindsay

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

It's made by some Finnish dudes. I like Finnish people - and they know how to pick mushrooms (like Russians), so I trust their mushroom picking capabilities. When I get my 30 day supply, I will let you know how it goes. Sounded interesting to me. Could be nothing, or it could be something.

Medicinal Mushroom Coffees w/ Cordyceps and Lion's Mane | Four Sigmatic

Okay interesting. You may want to make sure sure that the cordyceps are not from China. Often they use thin lead wires to increase the weight and it can lead to higher amounts of lead in the mushroom. Maybe they have cleaned up their act in China as this was 5 years ago or so and Mushrooms and their heavy metal testing is much more popular now than then. Let me know how it works for you.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin

lindsay

Okay interesting. You may want to make sure sure that the cordyceps are not from China. Often they use thin lead wires to increase the weight and it can lead to higher amounts of lead in the mushroom. Maybe they have cleaned up their act in China as this was 5 years ago or so and Mushrooms and their heavy metal testing is much more popular now than then. Let me know how it works for you.

This is why I trust the Finns. Here is their Process page: Our process | Four Sigmatic

They say they make sure their products are clean and safe and the fact that they actually use mushrooms from the forest in their process is pretty cool.

P.S. I think the one I ordered is the one with Lion's Mane & Chaga.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Don't worry charlie, its just the Cordyseps. Mushrooms are big business these days, which leads to better internal testing as the FDA looks at them more.

This is why I trust the Finns. Here is their Process page: Our process | Four Sigmatic

They say they make sure their products are clean and safe and the fact that they actually use mushrooms from the forest in their process is pretty cool.

P.S. I think the one I ordered is the one with Lion's Mane & Chaga.

Ive heard of Four Sigmatic, don't know much about their internal testing, but they are relatively new. My company almost represented them in our market. Let me know how it goes.

charlie

Admin
The Law & Order Admin
Mushrooms are big business these days, which leads to better internal testing as the FDA looks at them more.
Well I hope so. Been eating a lot of mushrooms lately.

:hattip

lindsay

Let me know how it goes.
a
Ive heard of Four Sigmatic, don't know much about their internal testing, but they are relatively new. My company almost represented them in our market. Let me know how it goes.[/QUOTE]

Do you know of any other safe mushroom products on the market? I love coffee, so I am a little "eh" about the fact that they use instant coffee. I prefer the beans so I can grind them myself, and I was thinking if I could just buy mushroom powder or liquid and mix it in my espresso, it would be tastier. Then again, it might not. I will have to try it first and see how it goes.

P.S. What kind of company do you work for, if you don't mind my asking?

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

Do you know of any other safe mushroom products on the market? I love coffee, so I am a little "eh" about the fact that they use instant coffee. I prefer the beans so I can grind them myself, and I was thinking if I could just buy mushroom powder or liquid and mix it in my espresso, it would be tastier. Then again, it might not. I will have to try it first and see how it goes.

P.S. What kind of company do you work for, if you don't mind my asking?

I work for a health and beauty brokerage. Basically vitamin and natural product companies that are not big enough to be able to pay for a dedicated sales rep for a territory, but not small enough to not need one. The business kind of fills that middle spot where companies are trying to grow and need representation in a certain territory, but don't want to hire someone. We end up getting like 25 different companies contracted with us, which gives me a nice resource on information about manufacturing practices, raw materials, and what is going on in the industry.

Four Sigmatic might be great, I am not sure. The guys who have been doing it probably the best and the longest would be Host Defense. They have great manufacturing up in the North West from what I have heard, and gather all the "mother" mushrooms from a protected forest habitat where many of them grow. However they just have capsules, so instead of a little packet you would be emptying a capsule into some espresso. The only filler they use is brown rice and I think that is the medium they grow the mushrooms on. I don't represent them, so I do not know a ton about them. I think you can buy bags of powdered mushrooms, I see them on the shelves at different stores, but who knows the quality.

lindsay

I work for a health and beauty brokerage. Basically vitamin and natural product companies that are not big enough to be able to pay for a dedicated sales rep for a territory, but not small enough to not need one. The business kind of fills that middle spot where companies are trying to grow and need representation in a certain territory, but don't want to hire someone. We end up getting like 25 different companies contracted with us, which gives me a nice resource on information about manufacturing practices, raw materials, and what is going on in the industry.

Four Sigmatic might be great, I am not sure. The guys who have been doing it probably the best and the longest would be Host Defense. They have great manufacturing up in the North West from what I have heard, and gather all the "mother" mushrooms from a protected forest habitat where many of them grow. However they just have capsules, so instead of a little packet you would be emptying a capsule into some espresso. The only filler they use is brown rice and I think that is the medium they grow the mushrooms on. I don't represent them, so I do not know a ton about them. I think you can buy bags of powdered mushrooms, I see them on the shelves at different stores, but who knows the quality.

Sounds like an interesting job! Probably a good amount of info. on certain products, which is cool :): Thanks for the tips on the other mushroom company! I think I want to experiment more with mushrooms.

The Four Sigmatic coffee arrived and was what I was expecting - it tastes like instant coffee. I'm a coffee snob, but willing to drink it if it makes me feel good. The first day I drank it on it's own with a little cream and sugar and it gave me a very mentally stimulated feeling. Then I began mixing it in my espresso and it didn't have the same effect (probably because of the other nutrients in espresso to balance it). However, in either case, I notice that it seemed to calm my stomach a bit. Could be the chaga, but it seems (and I will need to experiment more with it) it had a nice mood effect on me. I need to experiment more with it because this weekend was kind of wacky with work and it's very hot. I am thinking about making it into iced coffee this week. The caffeine content is low, so I think trying it on it's own is a much better way to see how it hits. I do like the low acidity of it - I think I might try a low acid coffee soon and see if it hits the stomach a little softer. I like my coffee strong and it often feels it hitting the stomach.

Anyhow, I'd like to try some other mushroom supplements. I think there is definitely some mood boosting I'm noticing. Like a sense of well-being. But I could be totally off. In any case, it's way better than digesting mushrooms!

Rafe

Coffee jazz, yes! @Tarmander thank you.

The men in their beautifully rumpled pair of chinos. Don't they run their hand through the hair? I mean, it can be all about the hair sometimes. And coffee.

@lindsay Yes, Finland, too.

L

lollipop

@Tarmander isn't Host Defense a Paul Stamet's brainchild? I met him once and he signed his book for me. He told me about his products (Host Defense). He is the of the most knowledgeable about mushrooms in the US...

lindsay

@Rafe - I went to University with a bunch of students from Finland when I studied in Russia, and I think they are such happy and healthy people :) Especially in hindsight - the American students (or most of them, and I being one of them), were all full of stress.

OP
Tarmander

Tarmander

@Tarmander isn't Host Defense a Paul Stamet's brainchild? I met him once and he signed his book for me. He told me about his products (Host Defense). He is the of the most knowledgeable about mushrooms in the US...

Yeah the one and the same. I saw him at expo west this year and he had on his hat made of mushrooms. It's pretty gnarly. He cured his mother of stage four cancer with his mushrooms I believe, I am not sure which one, but they must have some metabolic properties to do so.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals