Coffee does miracles for my migraines

Matestube

I've had migraines and nausea for the most part of the last 2 years, mostly when I go longer than 4 hours without eating. I was also not drinking coffee as I kept reading on "health articles" that it's not advised during migraines.
My gut was telling me to try again black coffee.
Low and behold, during one of my migraine episodes, I went to a coffee shop and ordered a double espresso. 20 minutes after being done with the cup my migraine and nausea were gone and I was jolly.

Not sure if it's because of the anti-serotonergic properties of coffee, or because it enhanced my liver function.

Bogdar

Coffee is known to improve my ophtalmic migraines, simply because it is a vasoconstrictor

OP
Matestube

Matestube

Coffee is known to improve my ophtalmic migraines, simply because it is a vasoconstrictor
So restricting bloodflow wouldn't be a long term desirable feature.
I thought it was more the serotonin-opposing qualities as @haidut wrote before.

xeliex

Forum Supporter
I've had migraines and nausea for the most part of the last 2 years, mostly when I go longer than 4 hours without eating. I was also not drinking coffee as I kept reading on "health articles" that it's not advised during migraines.
Low and behold, during one of my migraine episodes, I went to a coffee shop and ordered a double espresso. 20 minutes after being done with the cup my migraine and nausea were gone and I was jolly.

Not sure if it's because of the anti-serotonergic properties of coffee, or because it enhanced my liver function.
My uncle thinks I am a genius because I got him out of his daily Excedrin routine. He gets frequent migraines and swears by coffee (and sugar) as the best thing ever. He doesn't sleep well if he has to take it at night though.

My other friend had severe migraines, and adopting a pro metabolic lifestyle helped a lot with her migraines. Initially CO2 bag breathing helped tons along with coffee. Then she took progesterone intermittently. She has been mostly migraine free for a couple of years, minus the occasional (less severe attack).

youngsinatra

Excessive vasodilation leads to headaches, so controlled vasoconstriction helps. Copper deficiency can be a contributing factor. High circulating histamines are a possible cause of headaches/migraines too - calcium, copper and coffee lower histamine and can be beneficial in this regard.

Last edited:
OP
Matestube

Matestube

Excessive vasodilation leads to headaches, so controlled vasoconstriction helps. Copper deficiency can be a contributing factor. High circulating histamines are a possible cause of headaches/migraines too - calcium, copper and coffee lower histamine and can be beneficial in this regard.
My copper/zinc ratio is way too high.
I just started taking zinc to counterbalance it.

aliml

Where are your headaches most often located? In TCM, headaches on the sides of your head or eyes are usually related to Gallbladder function and coffee is a factor that increases bile flow.

davvid_1

interesting! my migraines are very infrequent but severe when they do occur. ive been taking small amounts of t3 every day and i haven't had one in ages

Martin

Caffeine is actually a part of a couple of migraine medications. Including the prescription Fioricet. The pro metabolic and anti serotonin definitely helps. Taking some aspirin with it should make it even stronger and would be even closer to actual prescription level meds.

OP
Matestube

Matestube

Where are your headaches most often located? In TCM, headaches on the sides of your head or eyes are usually related to Gallbladder function and coffee is a factor that increases bile flow.

Mostly forehead pulsing.

aliml

Mostly forehead pulsing.

Forehead headaches are usually caused by the stomach and/or the large intestine.

1645091597237.png

OP
Matestube

Matestube

Forehead headaches are usually caused by the stomach and/or the large intestine.

View attachment 33640
Which is tightly connected to how well your liver works, because if you liver is blocked and bile doesn't flow, there is no way your gut can be healthy.
I used to think that every disease starts in the gut, I'm now convinced that every disease starts in the liver.

youngsinatra

Which is tightly connected to how well your liver works, because if you liver is blocked and bile doesn't flow, there is no way your gut can be healthy.
I used to think that every disease starts in the gut, I'm now convinced that every disease starts in the liver.
+1

youngsinatra

With high copper levels I‘d assume that the biliary system is not working well, as excess of copper should be eliminated through the bile, but if the the biliary system does not function well, accumulation of many things occur, that will damage the liver long-term.

Do you have symptoms of cholestasis?

OP
Matestube

Matestube

With high copper levels I‘d assume that the biliary system is not working well, as excess of copper should be eliminated through the bile, but if the the biliary system does not function well, accumulation of many things occur, that will damage the liver long-term.

Do you have symptoms of cholestasis?
Oh yeah...bilirubin is twice the top of the range, my complexion and my sclera always have a yellow tint to them, I have no appetite, no energy, and intolerant to most foods. All signs of cholestasis.

youngsinatra

Oh yeah...bilirubin is twice the top of the range, my complexion and my sclera always have a yellow tint to them, I have no appetite, no energy, and intolerant to most foods. All signs of cholestasis.
How are you approaching this for now on?

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals