Caffeine Pills Versus Coffee/My Experience

Jsaute21

Coffee is quite the perplexing subject for me. When i first tried it years ago as a healthy college athlete, i enjoyed it. It sped me up a bit too much perhaps, but nothing of too much note. I gave it up for a couple of years for no apparent reason, just because i took pre workout instead and figured i don't need the extra caffeine. I felt great during this time.

As i settled into more of a corporate job, i administered coffee into my life again. Right around the time i started consuming it, i encountered anxiety for the first time of my life, and occasional Erectile Dysfunction along with obsessive tendencies. I now know enough that coffee didn't create these problems, it simply revealed a prolonged period of over training combined high intake of bad fats/muscle meats & not enough carbohydrates. My health has substantially improved since these days after a year of Peatish dietary habits along with healthy starch intake. However, what i find interesting is that i do MUCH better with caffeine pills than i do with coffee. It is not a liquids issue either. After drinking at least 2 cups of coffee for the past 18 months, i just didn't feel like having a cup yesterday. I had a nutrabio caffeine pill with OJ, baking soda & taurine pre workout and felt great. This morning i woke up to a caffeine pill with OJ, baking soda & taurine again and felt much better than i do with coffee/cream & sugar. Its not comparable. I feel as if i am satiated for a longer period of time and do not encounter low blood sugar, a sense of adrenaline or always being in a rush, or self doubt that at times comes with coffee intake for me. I don't feel awful or anxious like many when they consume coffee, i just am less content than when i don't. I also consume mexican cokes ans throwback pepsis daily so i am almost certain it is not a caffeine intolerance. Something about coffee just doesn't sit well with me.

I wanted to see if others have had a similar experience. I know @haidut has told me he prefers pills. I have always had high energy levels so maybe my body just doesn't want the java. I am also posting this as good evidence that sometimes the individual reaction trumps the scientific explanation. All i have been reading for the past year on here is how essential coffee is. The only issue is i forgot to interpret how i was truly reacting.

Constatine

There are a lot of other compounds in coffee that are bioactive. I've not used caffeine pills consistently but coffee feels much different from tea and tea feels much different than yerba mate for me.

J

jb116

Same with me. Although I must say, before exploring these ideas for health years ago, I couldn't even take a sip of coffee. I can tolerate it much better now and actually have a cup here and there. But just pure caffeine is amazing and feels best all around.

cyclops

I prefer caffeine pills to coffee unless the coffee is absolutely delicious. Then it becomes a whole enjoyable experience. I can get really amazing coffee but it is really expensive too, so I mostly just use a couple caffeine pills a day.

Constatine

Do you guys get increased bowel movements from caffeine pills alone? I find that coffee speeds up bowl movements but highly caffeinated tea does not for me.

Peatful

Coffee is quite the perplexing subject for me. When i first tried it years ago as a healthy college athlete, i enjoyed it. It sped me up a bit too much perhaps, but nothing of too much note. I gave it up for a couple of years for no apparent reason, just because i took pre workout instead and figured i don't need the extra caffeine. I felt great during this time.

As i settled into more of a corporate job, i administered coffee into my life again. Right around the time i started consuming it, i encountered anxiety for the first time of my life, and occasional Erectile Dysfunction along with obsessive tendencies. I now know enough that coffee didn't create these problems, it simply revealed a prolonged period of over training combined high intake of bad fats/muscle meats & not enough carbohydrates. My health has substantially improved since these days after a year of Peatish dietary habits along with healthy starch intake. However, what i find interesting is that i do MUCH better with caffeine pills than i do with coffee. It is not a liquids issue either. After drinking at least 2 cups of coffee for the past 18 months, i just didn't feel like having a cup yesterday. I had a nutrabio caffeine pill with OJ, baking soda & taurine pre workout and felt great. This morning i woke up to a caffeine pill with OJ, baking soda & taurine again and felt much better than i do with coffee/cream & sugar. Its not comparable. I feel as if i am satiated for a longer period of time and do not encounter low blood sugar, a sense of adrenaline or always being in a rush, or self doubt that at times comes with coffee intake for me. I don't feel awful or anxious like many when they consume coffee, i just am less content than when i don't. I also consume mexican cokes ans throwback pepsis daily so i am almost certain it is not a caffeine intolerance. Something about coffee just doesn't sit well with me.

I wanted to see if others have had a similar experience. I know @haidut has told me he prefers pills. I have always had high energy levels so maybe my body just doesn't want the java. I am also posting this as good evidence that sometimes the individual reaction trumps the scientific explanation. All i have been reading for the past year on here is how essential coffee is. The only issue is i forgot to interpret how i was truly reacting.
I love coffee. I love the taste. I love the therapeutic benefits. BUT my gut can't handle it. Too acidic I suppose.
My friend had IC (interstitial cystitis) from coffee. Gives my husband reflux I believe.
So far i do well on a 200mg caffeine pill daily. No issues after about 2 months at this dose.

Constatine

I love coffee. I love the taste. I love the therapeutic benefits. BUT my gut can't handle it. Too acidic I suppose.
My friend had IC (interstitial cystitis) from coffee. Gives my husband reflux I believe.
So far i do well on a 200mg caffeine pill daily. No issues after about 2 months at this dose.
You can just make your own coffee with alkaline water. Coffee does not need to be acidic.

Peatful

You can just make your own coffee with alkaline water. Coffee does not need to be acidic.
Interesting. Never heard that suggestion.
I had assumed it was the intrinsic property of the coffee bean.
Thx. I am going to try this.

Constatine

Interesting. Never heard that suggestion.
I had assumed it was the intrinsic property of the coffee bean.
Thx. I am going to try this.
It is but you can still balance it out with more alkaline water.

jitsmonkey

I have had similar experiences with coffee @Jsaute21
sometimes it sits well other times it doesn't
I'll go weeks with it as a staple and others not at all.
One thing to note is you're getting a much higher amount of caff from 200mg cap than a couple cups of normal coffee.
Also a more consistent dose.

OP
J

Jsaute21

I have had similar experiences with coffee @Jsaute21
sometimes it sits well other times it doesn't
I'll go weeks with it as a staple and others not at all.
One thing to note is you're getting a much higher amount of caff from 200mg cap than a couple cups of normal coffee.
Also a more consistent dose.
Yeah it's very strange but every little thing about me seems better off of it most days. Occasionally i have a great cup that kicks me into gear with sustained energy. The pill results in a subtle but enjoyable cognitive buzz and metabolism boost. Much more enjoyable.

jitsmonkey

Yeah it's very strange but every little thing about me seems better off of it most days. Occasionally i have a great cup that kicks me into gear with sustained energy. The pill results in a subtle but enjoyable cognitive buzz and metabolism boost. Much more enjoyable.

I have a bit more experience with the roasting/prep side of coffee than the avg person
and its actually surprising to me that your experience isn't the norm vs the exception.
There are 1001 ways to screw up a good cup of coffee so the fact that more people don't have more
varied experiences is more surprising to me than people who DO have varied experiences.

schultz

I used to be crazy about coffee. Now regular coffee is not that appealing to me, and sort of gives me a headache/funny stomach feel. I've been drinking latte's for the last 4 or 5 years and they are way superior in my opinion. When I go somewhere for dinner and latte's are not available, I usually end up having coffee and it is always a bit disappointing. I get between 500mg and 1000mg of caffeine per day from latte's.

I haven't tried caffeine pills before, but I get so much caffeine from coffee that it would be weird to also take pills. Maybe I'll try it

dfspcc20

Typically with filtered water using a stainless steel gator with good organic beans.

I had a theory that the coffee might be absorbing free nickel if it comes in contact with stainless steel. I thought this might be more of an issue if it stored in a stainless steel carafe or something. I think this is the case with places like Starbucks where the regular coffee isn't brewed to order, but rather they brew large batches. Though I suppose a stainless steel filter might have the same issue. Googling around now, it appears coffee itself might be high in nickel.

Anyway, I noticed that when I go to a restaurant that I know brews a fresh pot when I order (or when I make coffee myself), I don't have issues, but often do with coffee from a fast-food or Starbucks-like place.

managing

I put salt in my coffee, and it enhances the flavour in my opinion. Not sure about baking soda!
Salt is a weak base. A very weak base, but it will neutralize acid in the coffee. Probably a small, but perhaps significant effect.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals