I get jitters from coffee but not from equivalent dose of caffeine, what's going on?

dfspcc20

Ive noticed that coffee of various brands and origins gives me jitters, stuffy nose, strong coffee smelling urine, more peeing etc

But it seems energy drinks with the same dose of caffeine does not.

Some theories i have to why:

The oils in coffee irritate my gut?
Coffee has mold toxins?
Coffee is too acidic?
Coffee has PAHs, which i react to in other contexts where i am exposed to them?
Coffee stimulates the cortisol response stronger than isolated caffeine?

Anyone share the same thing/ have an explanation?

Btw i love coffee and want to consume it but just dont feel right enough to do it regularly.

Not necessarily the same issue as you, but coffee seems to irritate my gut, with symptoms manifesting around 8-10 hours after drinking it. Symptoms were subtle and it took my years to realize it was coffee that was causing them. I've tried various brands, preparation methods, always drinking with a significant meal, but none seemed to help.
Jitters and other obvious adrenaline symptoms were rare for me; just the subtle gut pain several hours afterwards.
Caffeine by itself doesn't cause the same for me.
I do much better without coffee now. I don't really need the "pick-me-up" in the morning, but having a warm drink is nice though.

OP
RealNeat

RealNeat

Awhile back @hadiut recommended Inosine for me . I was having bad heart palpitations and jitters from coffee.
Same symptoms from other sources of caffeine?

TucsonJJ

Awhile back @hadiut recommended Inosine for me . I was having bad heart palpitations and jitters from coffee.
Did Inosine stop all palps, from coffee and otherwise? Is Inositol the same basic stuff? I use D-ribose for palps, fairly effective, Inosine has some ribose in it...
I love coffee and could often use a boost... so I'd really like something that prevented the palps!

WonMore

Not necessarily the same issue as you, but coffee seems to irritate my gut, with symptoms manifesting around 8-10 hours after drinking it. Symptoms were subtle and it took my years to realize it was coffee that was causing them. I've tried various brands, preparation methods, always drinking with a significant meal, but none seemed to help.
Jitters and other obvious adrenaline symptoms were rare for me; just the subtle gut pain several hours afterwards.
Caffeine by itself doesn't cause the same for me.
I do much better without coffee now. I don't really need the "pick-me-up" in the morning, but having a warm drink is nice though.
Coffee, in itself, doesn't irritate the gut (I know you just probably use the phrase as shortcut), there's no way that coffee is still in the intestines after 8 hours (unless someone swallows the grains). But bile, which coffee stimulates, irritates the colon if not absorbed properly in the ileum.
Same probably goes for OP

TucsonJJ

Coffee, in itself, doesn't irritate the gut (I know you just probably use the phrase as shortcut), there's no way that coffee is still in the intestines after 8 hours (unless someone swallows the grains). But bile, which coffee stimulates, irritates the colon if not absorbed properly in the ileum.
But stimulation of bile is a good thing... no?
I think Tudca also is a bile stimulant... supposedly very good for digestion...
How to make sure bile is properly absorbed in the ileum?

peter88

You are certain coffee doesn’t irritate the gut? Bean water?

WonMore

But stimulation of bile is a good thing... no?
I think Tudca also is a bile stimulant... supposedly very good for digestion...
How to make sure bile is properly absorbed in the ileum?
I don't really know the answer to these questions. It is better for bile to be excreted than to be stuck in gallbladder and precipitate, but it should circulate and not reach colon in vast amounts. If someone got healthy digestive system (and maybe doesn't drink coffee on empty stomach) it shouldn't happen. Theoretically Farnesoid X Receptor agonists should help e.g. progesterone, pregnenolone and - ironically - cafestol from coffee.

You are certain coffee doesn’t irritate the gut? Bean water?
Well, as far as one can be certain about something like that. If you find one solid case in the space proving otherwise, the statement will be disproven, but searching through literature it really looks quite clearly that coffee is at least ambivalent to things like IBD and even ulcers and adverse effects like reflux are from increased secretions.

Last edited:

kaybb

Did Inosine stop all palps, from coffee and otherwise? Is Inositol the same basic stuff? I use D-ribose for palps, fairly effective, Inosine has some ribose in it...
I love coffee and could often use a boost... so I'd really like something that prevented the palps!
It helped somewhat, but I mainly just had to cut back, when I ran out . I still use Theanine & pantethentic acid, and magnesium, I always have these supplements on hand. I want to try D-ribose, maybe will try inosine again. I love coffee too, and this is worth another try.
about 8 to 13 hours after coffee, urine and something’s bowel movements smell like coffee… ideas on to why and what would cause this ?

TucsonJJ

It helped somewhat, but I mainly just had to cut back, when I ran out . I still use Theanine & pantethentic acid, and magnesium, I always have these supplements on hand. I want to try D-ribose, maybe will try inosine again. I love coffee too, and this is worth another try.

about 8 to 13 hours after coffee, urine and something’s bowel movements smell like coffee… ideas on to why and what would cause this ?
Yes, D-Ribose helped me, but not as much if I had more than a half cup of coffee... Coke doesn;t hit me as hard, but does a little, in terms of palps... I read that inosine has some ribose in it... I have a slightly enlarged left ventricle, and inosine is supposed to be effective in reversing that, which would be GREAT... I'm a bit health paranoid at 67, but always have been.
I wonder if estrogen is playing a role in the palps...?? I am starting enclomiphene today to get my testosterone up, and will take aspirin, K2 and E to mitigate any added estrogen issues...

WonMore

No idea, I guess it means that some compound, responsible for coffee's aroma, is not metabolized and is excreted in its original form. Maybe it is just quirk of your system, or maybe it has some relation with your side effects, like lack of some co-factor for enzymes etc.

baron

Coffee oil is mostly PUFA. Do you do filter coffee or cowboy style/espresso/french press coffee. The latter is inflammatory in my experience.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals