Coffee Induced Insomnia (Bad Liver?)

laleto12

If I drink a cup of coffee even around 4pm or after I cant sleep that night.

Is my liver that bad that I cant handle a cup of coffee? Or Am I just over reactive to caffeine? My gf just had 2 shots of espresso and went to sleep after 30 mins and slept in 2-3 min. Whereas I had a cup coffee at 4 pm and now I cant sleep time is 2am here.

How can I resolve this? I am not a big coffee drinker and never has been but I want to enjoy a cup or two here and there without suffering that night.

nomoreketones

Did you take the coffee on an empty stomach or after a big meal. Since coffee/caffeine increases your metabolic rate make sure you eat enough food and have enough nutrients to process the energy in the food. Otherwise you could experience a cortisol spike.

OP
laleto12

laleto12

Did you take the coffee on an empty stomach or after a big meal. Since coffee/caffeine increases your metabolic rate make sure you eat enough food and have enough nutrients to process the energy in the food. Otherwise you could experience a cortisol spike.
I drank it with lots of ice cream and a chocolate croissant. I never drink it on empty stomach. I ate 2 meals after that time today anyway so I hardly think its a cortisol spike issue.

@GodsHound

I never drank coffee regularly. Its not a staple in my diet. I drink it rarely, when I crave it or on social occasions. Its far from an everyday thing

GodsHound

Then I think it's very normal to experience this. Introducing caffeine into your diet requires the body to make adjust to its stimulating effects and its metabolism through the liver and other organs for excretion. Introducing caffeine will require an adjustment no matter the health of the liver.

Also, something I notice when I drink too much coffee or take too much T3 close in the evening - I can't sleep, so I don't try and I get out of bed and do something, then when I return to bed, be it 3 or 4am, I have always have the most deep and restorative of sleeps.

Martin

Regular pour-over coffee actually has more caffeine than a double espresso. Double espresso usually has 100-125 mg while a 16 oz of coffee could have 175-200 mg. It's fairly common for non-coffee drinkers to have disturbed sleep from even 50 mg of caffeine in the afternoon. Before I drank coffee regularly I would usually avoid drinking coffee in the afternoon. Unfortunately, the only solution would be to drink coffee regularly or opt for a single shot of espresso or decaf pour-over.

RollingStone

If you're not habituated to caffeine, it hits you a lot harder. Don't consume caffeine so late in the day if you don't have any kind of tolerance.