Coffee Amount?

4peatssake

Peata said:
This is the way I do it, but play with the amounts and ingredients according to your own taste.

5 ice cubes
4 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1-1/2 T. instant coffee (I use Folgers)
1 T. cocoa powder (I use Nestle 100% cocoa)
1 c. milk (I use 1%)

Just blend everything.

BTW, I didn't use measuring spoons but tableware to measure, so that makes a difference. I tend to just "eyeball" amounts a lot when I cook.

I like to drink it through a straw. Having this in the afternoon gives me a boost of energy, motivation and focus.
Thanks Peata! I just made this and did play with it little. My husband and daughter both found it too strong so I added more 1% milk but I also added about 1/4 c of half and half to make nice and creamy. I would be happy with it strong but modified it to make the others happy. ;)

Really lovely on a hot summer day! Thank for sharing!

Peata

Glad you guys liked it. Yes, when I make it to share with others, I increase the milk too.

4peatssake

Peata said:
Glad you guys liked it. Yes, when I make it to share with others, I increase the milk too.
Yeah, a bit too much kick for them. ;)
Additional ice cubes are a good idea too for those wanting a more watered down version. :roll:
I'll likely stick with high octane when making it for myself. I do like adding some cream so I'll maybe do half cream/half milk. An indulgence. :mrgreen:

Peata

I was sort of trying to do a mock Tim Horton's iced capp, and though this didn't turn out like it, I still like this one a lot. If you come up with some variation though that you like even more, please post it so I can try it.

Peata

Haagendazendiane said:
This is so good! Thanks for the recipe, Peata!

Glad you liked it, Diane. I made it today for my son and I and increased milk by 1/2 c. plus added 1/4 t. vanilla and more ice. It was the best yet.

4peatssake

Peata said:
Glad you liked it, Diane. I made it today for my son and I and increased milk by 1/2 c. plus added 1/4 t. vanilla and more ice. It was the best yet.
I made it again today too and decided to make it a little more mocha-y and added another .5 T of cocoa plus more milk and cream. Yummy and a great way to drink your milk! I may soon need to cut back on the cream though. :?

DaveFoster

I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.
I've never seen a pulse expressed as a decimal. I commend your accuracy.

DaveFoster

My blood pressure is quite high by medical standards though. It hovers around 150/85.
That should be a priority. That's well into dangerous territory.

DaveFoster

Have you had any personal successes with reducing blood pressure? Do you consider 130/85 dangerous?
120/80 is associated with the lowest level of cardiovascular incidence. It has a pulse pressure under 50 (endorsed by Peat). I think 130/85 is the high-end of okay, but I find that I feel best at around 124/78 or so.

The best ways to reduce blood pressure include antagonism of serotonin and cortisol and elevation in CO2.

For the former, things like niacinamide, coffee (particularly decaff), taurine (1.6 g daily has been shown to lower systolic blood pressure significantly), and GABA agonists like l-theanine, magnesium, and sodium (which tends to either lower of have a neutral effect on blood pressure, particularly in well-hydrated, non salt-sensitive indivdiuals) should also do so. Calcium is also key for regulating blood pressure, and Ray says a 2:1 calcium: phosphorous ratio is even okay. Progesterone is effective for lowering blood pressure. Adequate K2 can often normalize hypertension, particularly a high pulse pressure (<50); 1-10 mg K2 daily has been mentioned by Ray.

For the latter, raising CO2 is best accomplished by ensuring good thyroid function, bag breathing (Frolov device as well), thiamine (1.5 g x3/daily), and consuming enough carbohydrate. All the aforementioned in the former section should help to keep CO2 elevated.

raypeatclips

@DaveFoster Thank you, I already do a few of those things, so will have to try some of the other you mentioned. Just one thing I noticed, you said particularly decaff coffee is good for blood pressure? Is this because of the lack of caffeine, or the ability to drink more decaf to get the added nutrients?

DaveFoster

@DaveFoster Thank you, I already do a few of those things, so will have to try some of the other you mentioned. Just one thing I noticed, you said particularly decaff coffee is good for blood pressure? Is this because of the lack of caffeine, or the ability to drink more decaf to get the added nutrients?
Just because it lacks caffeine, and caffeine tends to raise blood pressure slightly, which isn't a bad thing necessarily.

DaveFoster

Hey raypeatclips; just an update of what I've done for BP.

I have a bottle with a breathing nozzle (2 liter bottle) and I just breathe out of that for a few minutes as much as I can. I've been getting headaches because I think it's dropping my BP too low, but it definitely works.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals