From Coffee Headaches To A Healthy Thyroid

OP
Rinse & rePeat
While we are on the coffee subject, the best coffee creamer is melted ice cream! I just put some in a glass jar the night before and it is ready to go in the morning!

Jon2547

I would stay away from caffeine if “not needed” . At the end it’s just an addiction more. If you feel that healthy and stress free it could be better to think about which unnecessary things could be removed from your life and supermarket bill ;-) .
It’s a bit like adding redwine to your daily routine because your liver is now in a such good shape. Yeah you can do it but is it really worth??? Keep it simple
Totally agree. I just kicked a nearly 16 year habit and getting that extra hour or so of sleep every night has made a big difference.

OP
Rinse & rePeat

Attachments

• 20220224_145129.jpg
    20220224_145129.jpg
    182.4 KB · Views: 174
OP
Rinse & rePeat
Old Irenaeus has been using maple syrup to sweeten his coffee. It sounded like an odd combination until I tried it this morning to sweeten my gelatin coffee and found it to be quite tasty! I thought it worth a try because I have this salted caramel maple syrup that has high nutritional value. Check out these numbers! I only use one tablespoon per cup, but 3 cups really add up!

Attachments

• 20220226_113844.jpg
    20220226_113844.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220226_113830.jpg
    20220226_113830.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 35
OP
Rinse & rePeat
"When flushing is caused by a mismatch between energy supply and energy demand, caffeine can decrease the vasodilation (Eikvar & Kirkebøen, 1998), but when vasodilation is caused more physiologically by carbon dioxide, caffeine doesn't have that effect (Meno, et al., 2005). In a study in which drinking hot water or coffee was compared with drinking room-temperature coffee or caffeine, it was found that the hot liquids caused flushing, but cool coffee and caffeine didn't." -Ray Peat

OP
Rinse & rePeat
"Coffee is often avoided by people with rosacea, but it is a very good source of niacin and magnesium, and caffeine has some of the same cell-protective functions as niacinamide."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Here is my nonfat milk gelatin latte! I “froth” my half cup of milk in my milk frother and it turns into a merengue. I then top it with Ceylon cinnamon sugar. I have several and it makes my mornings a joy!

Attachments

• 49907B12-4766-488F-97A4-27CABCF4A597.png
    49907B12-4766-488F-97A4-27CABCF4A597.png
    185.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 08468E70-EEC1-4C8B-B4C6-B1655C73707B.jpeg
    08468E70-EEC1-4C8B-B4C6-B1655C73707B.jpeg
    350.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
Rinse & rePeat
“The biggest takeaway is just how comprehensive the study was,” said NBC senior medical correspondent Dr. John Torres on TODAY. “Those who drank that magic number — two to three cups of coffee for the most part — ended up not just having fewer heart problems, but less chance of dying over that 10 year period. They found it can be very, very good for you.”

“Coffee beans have more than 100 biologically active compounds — flavonoids that can boost your health, he noted. They can help reduce inflammation, improve insulin sensitivity, boost metabolism, inhibit the gut’s absorption of fat and block receptors known to be involved with abnormal heart rhythms, Kistler said in the American College of Cardiology statement.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Research into coffee and depression has found that people tend to experience less severe symptoms when they drink coffee.

Studies of the effects of coffee on the body have found other positive benefits, like lowering the risk of getting cancer or having a stroke. Drinking coffee can also reduce our risk of developing dementia and Parkinson’s disease. The protective compounds found in coffee beans, along with the effects of caffeine, can improve our mental cognitive abilities and lower the potential of developing Alzheimer’s disease.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & RePeat:

In your opinion are there any energy drinks on the market that are worth drinking? I would think the acidity on the metal cans would cancel out anything good. Here is the the ingredients in a Red Bull…

• Carbonated Water
  • Sucrose
  • Glucose
  • Citric Acid
  • Taurine
  • Sodium Bicarbonate
  • Magnesium Carbonate
  • Caffeine
  • Niacinamide
  • Calcium Pantothenate
  • Pyridoxine HCl
  • Vitamin B12
  • Natural and Artificial Flavors
  • Colorings

RAY PEAT:

“Coffee is the best energy drink. Anything acidic in cans is risky.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“Three studies set to be presented at the American College of Cardiology's 71st Annual Scientific Session that took a look at data collected from various numbers of participants have all shown that "drinking coffee—particularly two to three cups a day—is not only associated with a lower risk of heart disease and dangerous heart rhythms but also with living longer," according to EurekAlert!

Because coffee can quicken heart rate, some people worry that drinking it could trigger or worsen certain heart issues. This is where general medical advice to stop drinking coffee may come from," explained Peter M. Kistler, MD, professor and head of arrhythmia research at the Alfred Hospital and Baker Heart Institute in Melbourne, Australia, who was a senior author involved in the research. "But our data suggest that daily coffee intake shouldn't be discouraged, but rather included as a part of a healthy diet for people with and without heart disease."

OP
Rinse & rePeat
“In the book This Is Your Brain on Food, nutritional psychiatrist Uma Naidoo, M.D., recommends buying dark-roasted, fresh coffee beans to support brain health. Compared to a light or medium roast, dark-roasted beans tend to have the lowest levels of acrylamide.

"Acrylamide, a chemical formed when coffee beans are roasted, can inhibit neurotransmission, destroy dopamine neurons, and increase oxidative stress," Naidoo writes. Avoiding this chemical by opting for a darker roast is one way to protect brain health.”

OP
Rinse & rePeat
Rinse & rePeat:

“I was wondering if the natural sugar in milk is sufficient enough in my coffee. I like to have an iced coffee, with more milk than brewed coffee, but have never been a lover of sweet things. Will my coffee with lots of milk balance my blood sugar enough without the added sugar?”

RAY PEAT:

“It’s best to have it with a meal, unless it’s just milk with a litle coffee flavor.”

OccamzRazer

Rinse & rePeat:

“I was wondering if the natural sugar in milk is sufficient enough in my coffee. I like to have an iced coffee, with more milk than brewed coffee, but have never been a lover of sweet things. Will my coffee with lots of milk balance my blood sugar enough without the added sugar?”

RAY PEAT:

“It’s best to have it with a meal, unless it’s just milk with a litle coffee flavor.”
I never liked sweetened coffee either. Until I tried coffee with raw egg yolk and raw honey, that is! You just mix up an egg yolk and about a tablespoon of honey, then pour hot coffee over the mixture and stir until it's dissolved. Somebody on this forum shared the recipe, actually. Delicious - and not too sweet.

Surely with enough yolks and honey this qualifies as a small 'meal.'

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I never liked sweetened coffee either. Until I tried coffee with raw egg yolk and raw honey, that is! You just mix up an egg yolk and about a tablespoon of honey, then pour hot coffee over the mixture and stir until it's dissolved. Somebody on this forum shared the recipe, actually. Delicious - and not too sweet.

Surely with enough yolks and honey this qualifies as a small 'meal.'

I should think so too! Do you taste the egg yolk? I have been putting gelatin in my coffee which I should think constitutes a meal too, but it doesn’t seem like it would taste as easy in cold iced coffee.

metamorph

I'm a coffee connoisseur & look forward to my daily cappuccino or home brew. It's a ritual. And, if you source great beans or have access to a craft coffee shop (not starbucks) that really invests in quality beans from non-gmo/organic coffee farms then it's a big difference. Many a time, the coffee-jitters people are experiencing are from the mycotoxins and pesticides on the beans that may not have been washed away. Always go for a good bean. Try Purity Coffee or Biodynamic Coffee. Or, checkout a local craft coffee shop and ask about where they source from and if they are quality. Ask for a "washed process" bean that they have. They usually have sugar processed, honey processed, natural processed, other processes and then a washed process. The washed process ensure and pesticide/toxin is heavily rinsed off. And, don't skimp on having milk and sugar with it like Ray always says.
My dependency on coffee has lessened after getting my thyroid in check over the course of the last 3 months. I don't always feel the need for it - most of the time I do - but I'm definitely beginning to experience days where I have no need for it. But, I love it - it's an ultimate comfort beverage and de-stressor for me. So, I'll keep it up and sometimes dabble in taking a day or two off just to make it even more enjoyable when I do have it. Haha.

OP
Rinse & rePeat
I'm a coffee connoisseur & look forward to my daily cappuccino or home brew. It's a ritual. And, if you source great beans or have access to a craft coffee shop (not starbucks) that really invests in quality beans from non-gmo/organic coffee farms then it's a big difference. Many a time, the coffee-jitters people are experiencing are from the mycotoxins and pesticides on the beans that may not have been washed away. Always go for a good bean. Try Purity Coffee or Biodynamic Coffee. Or, checkout a local craft coffee shop and ask about where they source from and if they are quality. Ask for a "washed process" bean that they have. They usually have sugar processed, honey processed, natural processed, other processes and then a washed process. The washed process ensure and pesticide/toxin is heavily rinsed off. And, don't skimp on having milk and sugar with it like Ray always says.
My dependency on coffee has lessened after getting my thyroid in check over the course of the last 3 months. I don't always feel the need for it - most of the time I do - but I'm definitely beginning to experience days where I have no need for it. But, I love it - it's an ultimate comfort beverage and de-stressor for me. So, I'll keep it up and sometimes dabble in taking a day or two off just to make it even more enjoyable when I do have it. Haha.

My coffee says “rain washed”. What do you make of that?

Attachments

• 966F3750-B8C1-4922-9813-C2B2C1419DC6.jpeg
    966F3750-B8C1-4922-9813-C2B2C1419DC6.jpeg
    475.9 KB · Views: 22
  • 60165816-6B9F-46E6-B671-86DB73C8677F.jpeg
    60165816-6B9F-46E6-B671-86DB73C8677F.jpeg
    464.6 KB · Views: 20
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals