Coffee Amount?

Destiny

Member
Joined
Sep 26, 2012
Messages
61
Did Peat ever say how much coffee at on time to drink, or not more than a certain amount? I am pretty sure those huge Starbucks sizes are not what he is advising lol. I started with a standard 5oz cup using the standard coffee measure spoon but today made half more/8oz cup. I mix it with 4 tsp sugar and 1 cup lowfat milk. I also have a cup of OJ usually a little before, but not with the coffee.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,776
Location
USA
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5y1wYPM5zU[/youtube]
 

Heather

Member
Joined
Nov 12, 2012
Messages
13
5 cups!!!! Holy Cow! Do any of you actually drink that much coffee a day? If you do, is it all caffeinated? How do you sleep? Isn't all that caffeine a strain on your nervous system?
 

Orchid

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
26
I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,776
Location
USA
Orchid, welcome to the forum!

30 cups, wow!!! More then a couple cups for me and my heart is pounding.
 

Orchid

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
26
Thanks Charlie :) Yeah, I get that response a lot. Should see the people freak out over at mark's daily apple claiming bogus crap like "adrenal fatigue", etc. They also said my coffee intake was the reason I did poorly in ketosis haha
 

charlie

The Law & Order Admin
Joined
Jan 4, 2012
Messages
11,776
Location
USA
Well at one point Ray Peat was drinking 50 cups a day so I know it has to be possible.

How is your health, how do you feel? Seems like your metabolism should be cranking!
 

PeatFeat

Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2012
Messages
55
Wouldn't a large intake of coffee put you at risk for dehydration or at least being under-hydrated?
 

Orchid

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
26
I feel pretty good. I need to get some lab tests done. My blood pressure is quite high by medical standards though. It hovers around 150/85. It's always been this though. Not sure about Ray Peat's views on blood pressure.

I'm recovering from a brief stint on a very low carb diet, prior to being on really high pufa/wheat/fast food diet. Been following Ray Peat's protocol for a few months now, and I'm never going back!

And as for being dehydrated, I wouldn't really know. My diet is mostly liquid aside from when I binge on dates or haagen daz
 

shaadoe

Member
Joined
Sep 20, 2012
Messages
23
Orchid said:
I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.


How do you prepare your coffee?
 

Orchid

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
26
shaadoe said:
Orchid said:
I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.


How do you prepare your coffee?
I just use organic instant coffee made with a cheap as hell Mr. Coffee. I use milk and sugar of course. In the mornings I'll whip up a little coconut oil and butter to put in there, and I have a little coffee 2 hours before sleep with gelatin.

Charlie said:
Orchid said:
when I binge on dates or haagen daz

Words I live by the last few days with being sick. :lol:
I swear man, I'll pound down 4lbs of dates in a single sitting if I'm allowed to. Hope you feel better, Charlie!
 

nwo2012

Member
Joined
Aug 28, 2012
Messages
1,107
PeatFeat said:
Wouldn't a large intake of coffee put you at risk for dehydration or at least being under-hydrated?

No, that notion is absolute garbage along with the notion drinking a lot of coffee can give you hypomagnesia due to the diuretic effect. We consume lots of OJ and milk and it would be impossible to dehydrate in this way of eating unless we were cognitively impaired! :D

Orchid that does seem a little on the high side for BP. Try doing more bag breathing and even a little baking soda in OJ throughout the day.
 

Orchid

Member
Joined
Nov 16, 2012
Messages
26
The bag breathing is one thing from Peat's protocol I haven't implemented. I'll definitely have to give that a try. I have to admit I believe my blood pressure causes a lot of weird things for me(face flushing, etc). Thanks, nwo2012
 

gretchen

Member
Joined
Nov 30, 2012
Messages
816
I drink 1-2 large containers a day. Coffee is ok so long as you can sleep and feel good. I even drink a little at night once in a while.
 

superhuman

Member
Joined
May 31, 2013
Messages
1,124
Orchid said:
shaadoe said:
Orchid said:
I drink upwards to 30 cups of coffee a day. Likely excessive, but it doesn't interfere with my sleep quality or anything else. I've tested with and without, and with lower quantities. The more coffee I have, the better I feel and the stronger my metabolic state seems to be. Pulse stays around 98.7.


How do you prepare your coffee?
I just use organic instant coffee made with a cheap as hell Mr. Coffee. I use milk and sugar of course. In the mornings I'll whip up a little coconut oil and butter to put in there, and I have a little coffee 2 hours before sleep with gelatin.

Charlie said:
Orchid said:
when I binge on dates or haagen daz

Words I live by the last few days with being sick. :lol:
I swear man, I'll pound down 4lbs of dates in a single sitting if I'm allowed to. Hope you feel better, Charlie!

Man did you work yourself up to be able to drink 30 cups of coffee? i also want to do that since im hypo and all. What have you noticed since drinking so much coffee? in terms of benefits of metabolism, weight loss etc. Also why do you think you dont get sleep problems etc from so much? how strong is each cup you drink?
 

Peata

Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2013
Messages
3,402
I drink 3 - 6 cups per day, usually with milk, sugar, gelatin, coconut oil, and salt.
 

Peata

Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2013
Messages
3,402
Oh and lately in the afternoon, I've been making Iced Cappucinos in the blender.
 

4peatssake

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2013
Messages
2,055
Age
59
Peata said:
Oh and lately in the afternoon, I've been making Iced Cappucinos in the blender.
Recipe? :mrgreen:
 

Peata

Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2013
Messages
3,402
This is the way I do it, but play with the amounts and ingredients according to your own taste.

5 ice cubes
4 T. sugar
1/4 t. salt
1-1/2 T. instant coffee (I use Folgers)
1 T. cocoa powder (I use Nestle 100% cocoa)
1 c. milk (I use 1%)

Just blend everything.

BTW, I didn't use measuring spoons but tableware to measure, so that makes a difference. I tend to just "eyeball" amounts a lot when I cook.

I like to drink it through a straw. Having this in the afternoon gives me a boost of energy, motivation and focus.
 
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Suddenly unable to tolerate coffee Digestion 11
C Post-diagnostic coffee and tea consumption and breast cancer survival Coffee 0
C Coffee polyphenols ameliorate cognitive decline via maintenance of blood-brain barrier (BBB) integrity in senescence-accelerated mouse prone 8 (SAMP8) Coffee 4
Lokzo Teacrine Benefits: An Alternative To Caffeine/Coffee Supplements 0
E McDonalds coffee Coffee 6
G Coffee enema vs normal enema for constipation Ask For Help or Advice 20
P Made one change to coffee, now no more stress Coffee 23
Stifler Extreme Stress Reaction from Coffee and Orange juice taken too close? Coffee 3
T I can barely smell anything after drinking coffee. Is this normal? Diet 3
bookshelf Blender Coffee with Egg, including variations Coffee 0
J How does Ray Peat make coffee? Ask For Help or Advice 8
Mr.Cacciatore Carrots salad with Coffee Carrot Salad, Bamboo Shoots, Mushrooms 0
IVILA Coffee Causing Bloating, Burping, Gas Coffee 18
jamies33 My Experience With Coffee After 3 Years Of Daily (ab)use Coffee 5
A Coffee Completely Reversing Flu Symptoms In A Matter Of Minutes? Coffee 5
metabolizm Coffee & Constipation Ask For Help or Advice 8
J Hot Tea > Hot Coffee As Thermogenic Hydration Stimulus Beverages, Fruits, Sugars 0
D Sugar In Morning Coffee Difficulty Breathing? Blood Sugar 10
lvysaur Guy Sees His RBCs Under Microscope After Coffee Coffee 6
R J Coffee Reliably Raises Temp And Makes Me Feel Great Ask For Help or Advice 1
D Coffee,Milk Plus Aspirin And MB Male Issues 2
E Does Coffee Make You Fat And Anxious? Miscellaneous 12
A Would Drinking Coffee Along With Turmeric Inhibit Iron Absorption? Ask For Help or Advice 5
E Coffee Associated With Improved Survival In Metastatic Colorectal Cancer Patients Scientific Studies 0
M Personal Anecdotal Evidence Re: Coffee Consumption And Height Miscellaneous Health Discussions 45
J Quiting Coffee - Decreased Appetite / Mobilizing FFA / Urinary Catecholamine Excretion Diet, Recipes 8
A Coffee Causes Diarrhea Ask For Help or Advice 9
Twohandsondeck Panera Bread Offers 32 Ounces Of Coffee Every 2 Hours For 90 Days For Free Society 1
J Coffee Sourcing Brands & Location Diet, Recipes 3
F Can Coffee Raise TSH? Coffee 1
Light Ice Coffee Slushy - Easy! Recipes 0
Bogdar I Think Coffee Can Produce Other Kind Of Stimulating Effects Coffee 0
A Stinky Farts After Coffee Ask For Help or Advice 1
I High Adrenaline? Wake Up Pretty Warm But Cold Hands And Feet Right After Coffee Or Bf Metabolism 7
Twohandsondeck Making Coffee Even More Pro-thyroid With Seaweed (tasteless) Coffee 0
M Coffee And Cortisol Caffeine 1
Pieter Stress, Coffee, Wellbutrin, Sleep And Gelatin Blood Sugar 2
E Coffee Linked To Lower Body Fat In Women Scientific Studies 0
T Self-experiment: Feeling Great After 2 Weeks Of No Coffee Or White Sugar Coffee 75
metabolizm Love For Instant Coffee Diet, Recipes 6
E How To Make The Healthiest Coffee, According To Science Scientific Studies 0
BearWithMe Fitlered Coffee Decreases All-cause Mortality, Unfiltered Not Scientific Studies 18
RealNeat Testicular Pain Upon Drinking Coffee? Ask For Help or Advice 0
H Coffee Without Glycine Allergy Diet 2
A Brain Fog/sleepines After Coffee. Problems With Blood Flow/sulphur? Ask For Help or Advice 7
Constatine Coffee To Sterilize The Gut Scientific Studies 24
W “The Pleasures And Pains Of Coffee” By Honore De Balzac The Ray Peat Forum Lounge 8
C What Coffee To Buy? Coffee 18
Epistrophy Russian Egg Yolk Coffee Recipes 19
A Coffee, But Not Tea Helping My Hypothyroid Altitude Sickness Coffee 1

Similar threads

Top