Extreme reaction to iodine

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link. I don't see anything resembling extreme tachycardia being listed as a potential symptom. Furthermore, so far iodione has not resulted in any of the listed detox symptoms, which is why I'm inclined to think it's something else. However, if you've heard of someone else having the same experience as me, or if you have other insight into the issue, I'm all ears.
I think tachycardia could be EASILY one of the detox symptoms even though it might not be listed in the article. Have you tried copious amounts of Himalayan Salt with water? Do you use all the iodine co-factors that are mentioned in the article? (Vit B2 and B3, selenium, etc.)

--> "In order to palliate these detox symptoms, make sure you drink enough salted water and take at least the recommended supplements listed above. You can do pulse-dosing iodine where you stop taking iodine for at least 48 hours to let your body and kidneys clear out the bromide. Notice that if the detox symptoms developed when you were increasing your iodine dose, you can always back off your dose to a lower one.

If you have a FIR sauna blanket, you can use it in order to help detoxify any toxic mobilized by the iodine." (see article --> subsection "detox troubleshooting")

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Thanks for the link. I don't see anything resembling extreme tachycardia being listed as a potential symptom. Furthermore, so far iodione has not resulted in any of the listed detox symptoms, which is why I'm inclined to think it's something else. However, if you've heard of someone else having the same experience as me, or if you have other insight into the issue, I'm all ears.
Definitely check out curezone and their many experts and testimonials on iodine mega dosing:

Here is someone with tachycardia and Gina Girl (one of the best curezone iodine experts together with Trapper and Violien imho) answers:

--> https://www.curezone.org/forums/am.asp?i=2180738

"I used to have this alot when I was hypothyroid. My guess is that the Iodine triggered an underlying hypo T.
Also the adrenals have a say in this; I also had a very low tolerance to coffee back then.
(one cup after 5 pm and I could forget about sleeping much the following night)
What helped me before iodine, was salt ala the watercure.
And magnesium. Then ioine, selenium and the other co-supplements slowly corrected the hypo T.

Be careful with vit B late in the day too, it caused heavy palpitation at night in my case."

Kocky777

Forum Supporter

"Iodine protocol

Take enough iodine. As mentioned above, the RDA for iodine does not provide nearly enough for the body. Most people need from 12-50mg/day of a combination of iodine and iodide in the form of lugol's solution or tableted lugol's solution. Others need much less. There are several percentages available of lugol's solution, but don't angst over them. You can use the following table as a rough guide:

lugol iodine content
© breastcancerchoices.org
Start with a single drop of lugol's solution after breakfast and build up by one drop every three days until a balance of general well being is achieved. Starting with the lowest dose and building up while detox reactions are managed would be the reasonable thing to do. Avoid taking lugol after 4pm as it can energize and give insomnia if taken too late. Antimicrobial doses for lugol's solution and potassium iodide are also discussed in the forum thread on iodine.

Take vitamins B2 (riboflavin) and B3 (niacinamide) in order to stimulate the proper functioning of the NADPH system - this will help metabolize iodine properly, decrease the formation of damaging auto-antibodies and ensure enough energy production in the form of ATP. How much? 100mg of B2 and 500mg of B3 twice per day.

Take antioxidants in order to decrease the fire of oxidative damage. Vitamin C 3-10 grams throughout the day. Take 3 grams of vitamin C at least one hour after your lugol dose, preferably two hours later. You can repeat the dose according to bowel tolerance if there are strong detox reactions triggered by the iodine. Avoid taking vitamin C after 4pm as it can give insomnia due to its energizing effects.

Take magnesium, 300-600mg per day. Magnesium helps with detox reactions as it participates in +300 detox pathways in the body. Magnesium also acts against excess intracellular calcium levels which fuel oxidative stress. Magnesium glycinate is a favored one.

Take selenium or L-selenomethionine 200mcg per day
. Safe range: 100mcg-400mcg. Adequate selenium levels are necessary for regulating thyroid function and iodine metabolism. If selenium is deficient, autoimmune thyroid disorders can develop. Selenium is important for activating thyroid hormones and it decreases side effects of iodine therapy.

Protect the liver. Take N-acetylcysteine (600-1200mg per day), alpha lipoic acid (200-600mg) or milk thistle.

Drink enough water and take unrefined salted water in order to detoxify bromide. Chloride is an effective competitive inhibitor of toxic bromide and unrefined salt is sodium chloride. It is impossible to lower bromide compounds in the body if you don't ingest unrefined salt, some 1-1.5 teaspoons per day. An adequate intake of unrefined salt in the body is also essential to minimize inflammatory oxidative stress. Take at least 1/4 teaspoon of unrefined salt in 8 oz. of water upon rising and at least twice a day. Make sure to take your lugol away from the salted water, at least 40 min-1 hour.

In short,

1/2 to 1 tsp of sea salt in a tall glass of water upon arising.

Lugol's (start with lowest dose) after breakfast or meals, don't take it after 4pm (it energizes you).
200 mg of B2 (riboflavin) per day. Can be taken in two doses with your lugols.
1000 mg of B3 (niacinamide) taken in two doses with lugols.
200 mcg selenium (not more!) ONCE a day with morning dose.
3 to 10 grams of vitamin C - divide into two doses taken an hour after lugols.
500 mg of magnesium - glycinate is excellent - taken at night.
Protect the liver with NAC, ALA and/or milk thistle."

alephx

You probably took more than your body can handle. Take a break or you get into risky territory with the thyroid. "But it is just Detox!!!" Yeah right....

Iodine is just one antioxidant in a chain.
Make sure you have plenty of the others:

Selenium (Brazil nuts)
Vit C (fresh OJ, or potatoe, accept no supplements)
Vit E (wheat germ)
Copper and Zinc (for SOD enzyme)
Magnesium (tachycardia could point to this)
Salt( so you don't waste magnesium)

OP
TheSir

TheSir

You probably took more than your body can handle. Take a break or you get into risky territory with the thyroid. "But it is just Detox!!!" Yeah right....
Yeah, it doesn't seem like what I'm accustomed detox to be like. The symptomology is too clean and one-dimensional. It feels more like intolerance due to a missing cofactor.
Here is someone with tachycardia
At least it's the same symptom, though in her case seems to be appearing in a different way and worsening over time. Iodine exposing hypothyroidism is a decent idea.

There seems to be such a persistent trend of people recommending selenium that I'm inclined to think it could solve the situation. I'm already taking most other things that are being recommended.

The problem is that selenium is too stimulating to be taken any more than 15-25mcg at a time, and I fear that such meager amounts won't achieve much.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Yeah, it doesn't seem like what I'm accustomed detox to be like. The symptomology is too clean and one-dimensional. It feels more like intolerance due to a missing cofactor.

At least it's the same symptom, though in her case seems to be appearing in a different way and worsening over time. Iodine exposing hypothyroidism is a decent idea.

There seems to be such a persistent trend of people recommending selenium that I'm inclined to think it could solve the situation. I'm already taking most other things that are being recommended.

The problem is that selenium is too stimulating to be taken any more than 15-25mcg at a time, and I fear that such meager amounts won't achieve much.
Selenium is vital when you mega dose iodine.
Really, selenium is that stimulating for you?
I don't notice anything from selenium, even when I took high doses as high as 1000mcg of selenomethionine.

Do you take copious amounts of magnesium?
Many people have a magnesium deficiency which can also result in tachycardia.

With mega dosing iodine it is vital to take all the co-factors. Magnesium is one of them. Salt, Vit B2 and B3, Boron, ...

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
I also recommend Epsom Salt (=Magnesium) baths with MANY mugs/cups of Epsom Salt.
Should help with heart-problems.

freyasam

Same thing happened to me 10 years ago on 1-2 mg Lugol's and I've never been able to tolerate thyroid well since, which has led to a whole cascade of symptoms the past decade.

Like you say, it did not feel like "detox" and I was taking Se and Mg at the time. Still trying to figure out what happened all these years later as it seems to be a crucial component to my health issues. Please tag or DM me if you ever figure out what the culprit is in your reaction, as I've been struggling. Thanks.

I am now taking selenium in a topical oil form, Selenite, from b12oils.com and it seems to help slightly with my thyroid reactions (relevant to my iodine reactions).

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Same thing happened to me 10 years ago on 1-2 mg Lugol's and I've never been able to tolerate thyroid well since, which has led to a whole cascade of symptoms the past decade.

Like you say, it did not feel like "detox" and I was taking Se and Mg at the time. Still trying to figure out what happened all these years later as it seems to be a crucial component to my health issues. Please tag or DM me if you ever figure out what the culprit is in your reaction, as I've been struggling. Thanks.

I am now taking selenium in a topical oil form, Selenite, from b12oils.com and it seems to help slightly with my thyroid reactions (relevant to my iodine reactions).

What I find interesting ist that your mega dose of iodine is/was rather low. In the Curezone Iodine Forum community some users propagate to start directly with 50 or even 100 milligrams of iodine. I also started with low dose iodine (maybe 1 mg) but became impatient and tried 50mg which did not have bigger detox issues for me than "low mega dose".

At the moment I'm taking approx 200-300 milligrams of lugols iodine that I fill in size 000 capsules. My PR for lugols was 600mg daily for several months (I had to up the selenium then).

Kocky777

Forum Supporter

Also check out this link on the benefits of starting with 100mgs.

I can also recommend the books "The Iodine crisis" by Lynne Farrow and the Iodine books by Dr Brownstein.

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Selenium is vital when you mega dose iodine.
Really, selenium is that stimulating for you?
I don't notice anything from selenium, even when I took high doses as high as 1000mcg of selenomethionine.

Do you take copious amounts of magnesium?
Many people have a magnesium deficiency which can also result in tachycardia.

With mega dosing iodine it is vital to take all the co-factors. Magnesium is one of them. Salt, Vit B2 and B3, Boron, ...
Yeah, I'm in a particular kind of a HPA axis dysfunction in which anything even remotely stimulating is making me physically uncomfortable. Kind of like my nervous system has faulty brakes. Selenium ups my resting pulse by 20-30 bpm and makes it hard to relax, though it gives a wonderful afterglow by the evening.

I'm consistently hitting bowel tolerance for magnesium, so copious is an apt word. 500-1000mg a day. However my cellular mg remains low due to the HPA dysfunction I mentioned. Serum is at the upper limit of the reference range.

I'm not really looking to start a megadose therapy until I get to a more normal state of health, I just want to fix my acute deficiency and be able to take a maintenance dose for my nutritional program. I already went several months without supplemental iodine because it had already been causing discomfort earlier this year, but it seems that I became more hypo in the meanwhile. Hence the urgency to figure out a solution.

Thanks for the links and stuff. I'll be checking them out.

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you did, because you're the first one I've come across who is experiencing this issue too. How long have you been taking selenium and in what dose? Did you initially experience any positive effects or did it go straight to tachycardia? I had a couple of days of very good mood before the problems started, which makes me think that I ran out of something crucial. For sure, let's keep each other updated.

freyasam

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you did, because you're the first one I've come across who is experiencing this issue too. How long have you been taking selenium and in what dose?
I'm on 200 ug selenium. About 2 months, working up from 50 ug. I take sodium selenite. I felt drugged and weird on selenomethionine, though it may have been the excipients in the pills (NOW brand).

Did you initially experience any positive sides or did it go straight to tachycardia? I had a couple of days of very good mood before the problems started, which makes me think that I ran out of something crucial.
I *think* I did have some positive effects w/ energy and mood at first on iodine, but nothing radical.

For sure, let's keep each other updated.
Ok sounds good.

maillol

I have another theory for you to consider. Iodine breaks down candida which would release endotoxin.

Peater

Yeah, I'm in a particular kind of a HPA axis dysfunction in which anything even remotely stimulating is making me physically uncomfortable. Kind of like my nervous system has faulty brakes

Have you tried/considered plain old pantothenic acid? Reported to be good for the 'adrenals', there's also pantethine which a metabolite.

I know it's normally niacinamide and/or thiamine that get the attention, but I can vouch for B5 supplementation.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Yeah, I'm in a particular kind of a HPA axis dysfunction in which anything even remotely stimulating is making me physically uncomfortable. Kind of like my nervous system has faulty brakes. Selenium ups my resting pulse by 20-30 bpm and makes it hard to relax, though it gives a wonderful afterglow by the evening.

I'm consistently hitting bowel tolerance for magnesium, so copious is an apt word. 500-1000mg a day. However my cellular mg remains low due to the HPA dysfunction I mentioned. Serum is at the upper limit of the reference range.

I'm not really looking to start a megadose therapy until I get to a more normal state of health, I just want to fix my acute deficiency and be able to take a maintenance dose for my nutritional program. I already went several months without supplemental iodine because it had already been causing discomfort earlier this year, but it seems that I became more hypo in the meanwhile. Hence the urgency to figure out a solution.

Thanks for the links and stuff. I'll be checking them out.

Thanks for checking in. I'm glad you did, because you're the first one I've come across who is experiencing this issue too. How long have you been taking selenium and in what dose? Did you initially experience any positive effects or did it go straight to tachycardia? I had a couple of days of very good mood before the problems started, which makes me think that I ran out of something crucial. For sure, let's keep each other updated.
Sorry to hear that, my sympathies! Hope you will heal soon!

Your Magnesium intake sounds good! Maybe try to absorb Mag through the skin also (Epsom Salt bath every day!!!! , until heart is way better)? It is said that oral Magnesium is not that bio available (especially If your system is somehow compromised, might be the case with HPA axis dysfunction).

Do you use copious amounts of unrefined Salt (I recommend Halayan Salt)? It is said that Salt calms the nerves and also mitigates Magnesium-loss from the body. That might be especially helpful in your Case.

All the best for you!

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
What kind of oral Magnesium do you use? Maybe switch to Magnesium Glycinate? Mag Gly is said to bei very bio-available.

OP
TheSir

TheSir

@freyasam what other health issues are you dealing with, if I may ask? Perhaps we will find overlap.

I have another theory for you to consider. Iodine breaks down candida which would release endotoxin.
Would you deem it possible for a dieoff to produce no other symptoms besides racing heart? I'm under the impression that a die-off would produce a wide range of symptoms.

Have you tried/considered plain old pantothenic acid? Reported to be good for the 'adrenals', there's also pantethine which a metabolite.
A solid suggestion from your POV. Going by HTMA theory, b5 is used to slow down a too fast metabolism. I'm in a failed transition pattern from fast to slow. Though I've left the fast, instead of emerging into slow I'm stuck in a sub-metabolic limbo between them. Thus, for some reason, b5 does not help here.

@Kocky777 Sorry if I was unclear, I don't normally experience high heart rate. My resting pulse is steadily in the 60s. Certain substances just rise it temporarily.

Taking more salt is a good idea. I'm experiencing persistent muscle twitching which mg does help, so anything that helps with mg retention is great.

I've tried malate, glycinate, taurate and citrate. Citrate is the only one that doesn't produce side effects for me (malate gives anxiety, glycinate strange wiredness, taurate low mood). Bowel tolerance threshold is about the same for each.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals