Extreme reaction to iodine

TheSir

I've been taking 500-2000 mcg worth of iodine (kelp) every day. For the first few days, each dose was giving me good mood and more energy. Yet, out of nowhere, it started giving me extreme tachycardia and anxiety.These symtoms begin soon after dosing and gradually diminish over the next 10 hours. Kind of like transient hyperthyroidism. If I stop taking it I feel normal immediately the next day.

What could be causing this? Selenium deficiency? Some kind of a thyroid disease? Something else? Thank you for your time.

Last edited:
OP
TheSir

TheSir

You have overdosed it.
In a way, yes. Clearly, I am taking more than what my body is able to presently tolerate.

Yet why is my body not tolerating more than this? And why is it reacting this intensely? These are not outrageous doses. Neither is this a common reaction. For example, iodine therapy calls for doses ten times larger. What is amiss? What changed between the first days of good effects and the present negative reaction?

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Well are you taking selenium methionine?
I took 25 mcg in conjunction with 2 mg of iodine as my latest attempt. It might have been too little, as it did not prevent the hyperthyroid episode. I have a pretty low level of selenium in hair. It's intimidating that selenium could potentially run out so abruptly that such difficult symptoms would be caused as a result.

Beatrix_

All the proposers of iodine overdosing on the internet suggest loading with 200mcg selenium for 1-2 weeks before starting with the iodine.

Peater

I took 25 mcg in conjunction with 2 mg of iodine as my latest attempt. It might have been too little, as it did not prevent the hyperthyroid episode. I have a pretty low level of selenium in hair. It's intimidating that selenium could potentially run out so abruptly that such difficult symptoms would be caused as a result.

If you're going to try iodine/iodide at least try SSKI or Lugols, even those 'protocols' don't advise kelp due to contamination...

I can take 150mg (Not mcg) of SSKI and feel fine.

youngsinatra

At even relatively low amounts, iodine seems to disturbs thyroid function.

Iodine restriction has been shown to be beneficial for subclinical hypothyroidism and hashimoto, where a large percentage is even able to restore euthyroidism.

The wide-spread iodine fortification is thought to be one of the causal factors responsible for the increased incidence of hashimoto thyroiditis and subclinical hypothyroidism.

LucH

What could be causing this?
A significant intake of iodine dislodges halogenated metals from the thyroid and tissues: fluorine, chlorine, bromine. Herxheimer crisis. need more selenium: 200 mcg (400 mcg the 1st time). Liposomal glutathione and ALA would be great to assist heavy metal detox.

OP
TheSir

TheSir

A significant intake of iodine dislodges halogenated metals from the thyroid and tissues: fluorine, chlorine, bromine. Herxheimer crisis. need more selenium: 200 mcg (400 mcg the 1st time). Liposomal glutathione and ALA would be great to assist heavy metal detox.
That's an intuitive answer, however I don't really have any variety of detox symptoms. My heart rate just shoots up dramatically and extremities become cold. Then it fizzles out predictably as the day goes on. It's almost like a mere adrenaline response. Does this sound like anything you've read of halide detox?

At even relatively low amounts, iodine seems to disturbs thyroid function.
Afaik this is in absence of selenium and it concerns less transient reactions than mine. The next day after one of these episodes, my thyroid status will feel the same as it did before the episode.

LucH

Does this sound like anything you've read of halide detox?
I haven't deepened much to answer. Intuitive answer. your symptoms indicates a disconnection of thyroid feedback + overload of heavy metals.
I'd try to take 4 x 300 mg (2 x 2) chlorella and see how you react. More if liver saturated. Not less. Have to find the right dose to capture what circulates, not to dislodge what is encapsulated in fats.

cs3000

I've been taking 500-2000 mcg worth of iodine (kelp) every day. For the first few days, each dose was giving me good mood and more energy. Yet, out of nowhere, it started giving me extreme tachycardia and anxiety.These symtoms begin soon after dosing and gradually diminish over the next 10 hours. Kind of like transient hyperthyroidism. If I stop taking it I feel normal immediately the next day.

What could be causing this? Selenium deficiency? Some kind of a thyroid disease? Something else? Thank you for your time.
seaweed / kelp can get high in some toxic stuff too , can contain very high flouride levels apparently, and bromine absorbed along with iodide
Iodine and fluorine concentrations in seaweeds of the Arabian Gulf identified by morphology and DNA barcodes this one says micrograms per gram dry weight
but this one Chemical composition of some seaweed from Mediterranean Sea coast, Egypt. says many MILIGRAMS per gram dry weight. idk that seems extremely high too high intuitively but thats what it says
The average fluoride is ranged from 97.53 ± 14.40 to 155.70 ± 15.50 mg/g dry weight in green and brown seaweeds, respectively
so can get very high depending on location
mercola has liquid iodide (not iodine), generally dont need much iodide so i just bite the capsule & use 1 drop of that for a boost sometimes, what you trying it for?

Last edited:
OP
TheSir

TheSir

don't advise kelp due to contamination...
seaweed / kelp can get high in some toxic metals
I think a lot depends on the area the kelp is sourced from. Much of the heavy metal content is also safely bound to the alginates in the kelp. There are brands that aren't showing any significant toxicity in hair or blood at 2-4g (2-4mg of iodine) a day.

Even if toxicity was a legitimate concern, do you think any metal or halide could cause such an immediate, strong, transient and narrow symptomology? Most toxic metals would cause a range of vague symptoms that build up over time. I only got temporary tachycardia and vasoconstriction. I know I spoke of transient hyperthyroidism in the OP, but on a second thought it might have been closer to a clean adrenaline response, as my temperature didn't raise at all.

The question remains: whence the reaction? Selenium deficiency could be a good candidate, since I know I'm low in it and its importance is often emphasised in iodine circles. I just can't help thinking that there is some unidentified factor at play here. Hence this thread.

cs3000

Even if it toxicity was a concern, do you think any metal or halide could cause such an immediate, strong, transient and narrow symptomology? Most toxic metals would cause a range of vague symptoms that build up over time. I only got temporary tachycardia and vasoconstriction. I know I spoke of transient hyperthyroidism in the OP, but on a second thought it might have been more closer to a clean adrenaline response, as my temperature didn't raise at all.
did you notice nausea / extra stomach discomfort or just the heart rate & anxiety? and did your temp drop below baseline?

OP
TheSir

TheSir

did you notice nausea / extra stomach discomfort or just the heart rate & anxiety? and did your temp drop below baseline?
No nausea or discomfort. Core temp remained at the optimal 98.6/37.2 throuhout the experience.

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Thanks, this seems relevant. One of the abstracts mentions increased excretion, while the other talks of 'increased accumulation and organic binding', which is the opposite, right? So my body is either trying to get rid of the iodine or hold on to it.

If selenium is needed for iodine utilization, then it would make sense that in absence of selenium the body would reject the iodine. Or, perhaps the adrenaline is stepping in to support utilization, sort of as a selenium surrogate? Hmm...

tasfarelel

A significant intake of iodine dislodges halogenated metals from the thyroid and tissues: fluorine, chlorine, bromine. Herxheimer crisis. need more selenium: 200 mcg (400 mcg the 1st time). Liposomal glutathione and ALA would be great to assist heavy metal detox
Believe it or not, but this is the correct answer = anxiety (or depression) a short while after supplementing high Iod doses are from buildup of halogens. Fastest way to get rid of fluoride or bromide is salt. High doses of salt, like one tea spoon until the issue disappears. Can resolve in one day or two. And because someone else here in the forum got confused by this protocol - it should be taken literally = continuous salt supply until the symptoms disappear. 5g will not do it, and it is not meant to be done forever.

Kocky777

Forum Supporter
Believe it or not, but this is the correct answer = anxiety (or depression) a short while after supplementing high Iod doses are from buildup of halogens. Fastest way to get rid of fluoride or bromide is salt. High doses of salt, like one tea spoon until the issue disappears. Can resolve in one day or two. And because someone else here in the forum got confused by this protocol - it should be taken literally = continuous salt supply until the symptoms disappear. 5g will not do it, and it is not meant to be done forever.
Exactly this!
I also recommend this article here. The article also covers iodine side effects due to detoxing and how to mitigate those side effects:

OP
TheSir

TheSir

Believe it or not, but this is the correct answer = anxiety
Exactly this!
Thanks for the link. I don't see anything resembling extreme tachycardia being listed as a potential symptom. Furthermore, so far iodione has not resulted in any of the listed detox symptoms, which is why I'm inclined to think it's something else. However, if you've heard of someone else having the same experience as me, or if you have other insight into the issue, I'm all ears.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals