Ray Peat On Iodine

burtlancast

:thumbsup:

Excellent find.

Dave Clark

Correct me if I am wrong, but according to Brownstein, et al, deficiency of iodine has less to do with the 'amount' in food, but the in their opinion the deficiency state that is caused in the body due to halogens like bromide, fluoride, etc. blocking the receptors. In other words, you could be eating the same amount of iodine, and in one case be healthy without deficiency symptoms, or having the same amount of iodine not doing its job and therefore rendering you deficient, in so far as needing more of the iodine to have proper iodine sufficiency. So, if 150 mcgs/day were good in 1940, when all food was grown organic and there was less chemicals, it may not be sufficient today in our toxic world, hence requiring more iodine and supportive supplements.
Enlighten me if I am understanding that wrong.

geraldxy

In my understanding there are 2 main points about iodine supplementation:

1. To detox halogens like fluorid and bromid
2. The theory of humans needing more iodine then 150mcgs per day (because of the toxic environment we live in and for optimal body functions)

I started with lugols maybe 2008 and did something like 3mg every week. The first dose felt like i was new born the next day (because i ate a diet of potatoes, eggs, meat, butter and absolutely no added iodine for months). I was heavily iodine deficient in these days. As i was in deficient state i needed 2 doses of 3mg per week and could stabilize energy levels. After some time i experimented with higher doses, something like 30mg for 2-3 days and even higher. Don't know if it did much to me so i stayed on 12mg in one dose per week, sometimes i forgot it and went down to 12mg every 2 weeks, which seemed sufficient for me. But after 2 weeks i feel drastic decrease of energy and mood.

In my experience i need iodine, not in megadoses but just enough. It might depend on the person itself how much is needed though i would not recommend megadoses, start slow and go. When we go on a diet of natural foods there is usually no iodine added, maybe milk could be a factor or fish but i didnt eat any or much fish in these days. Another factor is the more protein i eat the more iodine i do need.

Nfinkelstein

I'm in support of supplemental iodine, and am perplexed why RP didn't seem to get it on this issue. And incidentally wolff-chaikoff were both Jewish.

Jam

Didn't Ray say that iodine deficiency is highly unlikely on moder diet for most people ?
Body stores of iodine are rapidly depleted during illness and diet alone does not provide enough.

kimbriel

Yep - I actually think Ray Peat was probably wrong about iodine. I know a lot of people with Hashimoto's who lowered their antibodies to undetectable or within range just with iodine. It's important for Hashimoto's patients to also use selenium with iodine, and to drink plenty of salt.

I myself painted a lump on my shoulder with iodine for about 6 weeks and the lump is completely gone. I used coconut oil as a carrier oil :) sometimes I used dmso as a carrier.

Next I'll be using iodine to paint a fibroadenoma (benign lump) in my breast that I've had for 14 years.

I started taking 12.5mg iodoral (tablet iodine) along with 200mcg selenium 6 weeks ago, and my keratosis pilaris is almost completely gone!

kimbriel

I'm in support of supplemental iodine, and am perplexed why RP didn't seem to get it on this issue. And incidentally wolff-chaikoff were both Jewish.
Me too- I just know a ton of people who've had benefits from it. Some people have even gotten rid of their thyroid nodules with just selenium and iodine.

G1986

Forum Supporter
Ok, so many people is talking about iodine now. A user called visionsofstrenght over the old peatarian.com forum posted this, so I'm copying it here as well. Original thread (http://beesandbutterflies.org/52426/iod ... 426#q52426)
the thing is that, milk contains a good amount of Iodide, and Peat was drinking I believe 2 quartz of it? which is almost 2 liters. According to this study, there is an average of 394.1mcg per liter of Milk

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals