Dry Skin Cause

boris

Finally found someone with the same issues, I always thought it was weird. I have the same „hard“ sebum sticking out of my face, especially the cheek area.

I had it even since a very high PUFA diet, I can‘t imagine it‘s because of the lack of PUFA.

It started after some years of intense stress together with dry skin and acne and dry dandruff in the beard and head that dandruff shampoo has no effect on.

Peating made little difference with the sebum so far. The only thing that helps me is exfoliating well in a hot shower and maybe rubbing with vinegar. And then inmediately putting moisturizer on to prevent the skin from cracking. The sebum „sticks“ will be visible again a few days later of not exfoliating or when I‘m rubbing my face „against the grain“.

mipp

I didn't notice the hardened sebum thing maybe because I'm older than OP and my skin makes less sebum in general. I'd say low pufa and focus on sat fat reduced oiliness but it also caused overall skin dryness. It started around the time I switched to coconut oil for cooking in place of lard. The soles of my feet were like sandpaper with small cracks which were so sharp they were tearing my socks. I did daily foot soaks, scrubs, creams but it wasn't helping much. Also got eczema on my forhead in the t-zone with dry, red patches for the first time in my life.
I'm currently experimenting with adding some pufa back into my diet. The skin on my feet is baby smooth without any other treatment but it's too early to tell with certainty that it's the pufa (I'm walking much less due to lockdown)
I'm going to give some veg oils a chance for a few more weeks or months. Sunflower seeds are nice because they are high in magnesium but they have very little ALA omega 3 which is also believed to be beneficial for skin.

julcreutz

Finally found someone with the same issues, I always thought it was weird. I have the same „hard“ sebum sticking out of my face, especially the cheek area.

I had it even since a very high PUFA diet, I can‘t imagine it‘s because of the lack of PUFA.

It started after some years of intense stress together with dry skin and acne and dry dandruff in the beard and head that dandruff shampoo has no effect on.

Peating made little difference with the sebum so far. The only thing that helps me is exfoliating well in a hot shower and maybe rubbing with vinegar. And then inmediately putting moisturizer on to prevent the skin from cracking. The sebum „sticks“ will be visible again a few days later of not exfoliating or when I‘m rubbing my face „against the grain“.

Well, maybe you're different in that regard. I truly belive "lack" of PUFA or MUFA and too much SFA is the cause of the solid sebum in my case. I will experiment and tell you how it goes!

OP
J

Josh

I personally will probably never eat nuts/seeds/grains again. They always caused immediate digestive problems. I do really well with tubers and root veggies, but still abstain from above ground vegetation.

How much are you "restricting" SFA? Maybe that's the problem in your case?

I’ve eat upwards of 150g a day for a while, definitely not the case, hence the post?

OP
J

Josh

Here's an anecdote I've found: [Discussion] Paleo, Omega-6 Deficiency, and Dry Skin : Paleo
This correleates with my findings.

150g of SFA that is, but sometimes just around 100-120g a day..

yeah I saw that post too, honestly I really do think it’s gonna take Pufa to resolve this, I’m in the Rp Facebook group and there’s a guy that actuallly brought my attention to this idea and he says that it’s all to do with pufa deficiency causing SREB or what Ever it’s called to thicken

baccheion

Nope but i use sunbeds all through winter and get out in the sun with no clothes as much as possible now during summer.. Man i just said this is the first time i've eat liver since like september last year.. meaning the only vitamin a ive got in last few months has been from beta carotene and from butter etc.. I've had dry skin before i even started eating liver. Its definitely not the vitamin A lol
Low vitamin A can also cause the same issue.

OP
J

Josh

I didn't notice the hardened sebum thing maybe because I'm older than OP and my skin makes less sebum in general. I'd say low pufa and focus on sat fat reduced oiliness but it also caused overall skin dryness. It started around the time I switched to coconut oil for cooking in place of lard. The soles of my feet were like sandpaper with small cracks which were so sharp they were tearing my socks. I did daily foot soaks, scrubs, creams but it wasn't helping much. Also got eczema on my forhead in the t-zone with dry, red patches for the first time in my life.
I'm currently experimenting with adding some pufa back into my diet. The skin on my feet is baby smooth without any other treatment but it's too early to tell with certainty that it's the pufa (I'm walking much less due to lockdown)
I'm going to give some veg oils a chance for a few more weeks or months. Sunflower seeds are nice because they are high in magnesium but they have very little ALA omega 3 which is also believed to be beneficial for skin.
Oh that’s very interesting so you noticed smoother skin starting back the pufa ??

OP
J

Josh

Yeah 150 is quite a lot. Maybe lower it to 50 or so?

Yeah i'll try go lower its just i'm in the gym and i really need that high fat intake, really trying to put weight on at the moment

OP
J

Josh

Ahhh thats interesting :bored: ... how high was your pufa intake back then??

boris

I didn't track, but a lot of porkfat daily. Cooking mostly with rapeseed oil. Lots of fried foods.

mipp

Oh that’s very interesting so you noticed smoother skin starting back the pufa ??
Yes, I've been adding some canola oil for the past 3 weeks or so, starting with a tsp a day and slowly increasing. Skin feels smoother overall, soles are super soft, forhead eczema is much better - dry, flaky skin gone, just a little redness still visible.
I don't want to get too excited just yet, I've had some improvements before which didn't last. There are some other changes I've made too. All I can say is that for today, my skin looks better than it has in a while.

OP
J

Josh

Yes, I've been adding some canola oil for the past 3 weeks or so, starting with a tsp a day and slowly increasing. Skin feels smoother overall, soles are super soft, forhead eczema is much better - dry, flaky skin gone, just a little redness still visible.
I don't want to get too excited just yet, I've had some improvements before which didn't last. There are some other changes I've made too. All I can say is that for today, my skin looks better than it has in a while.

that’s amazing mate! So you had improvements before through other things but they didn’t last.. is this the first time you’ve experimented with PuFa since going low pufa??

i really hope this works for me too! My skin was never the same since going low pufa, maybe some of us just have a higher requirement for it than others, it’s definitely needed in some amount don’t care what anyone on here says

EIRE24

This is very interesting. What way did you add the canola oil? Cooking with it?

mipp

that’s amazing mate! So you had improvements before through other things but they didn’t last.. is this the first time you’ve experimented with PuFa since going low pufa??

i really hope this works for me too! My skin was never the same since going low pufa, maybe some of us just have a higher requirement for it than others, it’s definitely needed in some amount don’t care what anyone on here says
Maybe there are individual differences in lipid metabolism (desaturase enzymes?) and some people need certain emount of PUFA in their diet. I don't know, just feel like experimenting because I wasn't really eating much plant fat for many years, and since finding Peat three years ago I cut the reamaining PUFA to minimum. I prepare almost all my food so it was pretty strict avoidance. The only exceptions were once or twice a year when I visited my parents for holidays where I traditionally eat some stuff with a lot of canola mayonnaise. I noticed that my dry feet improved after those visits. Had some strange ideas as to why that could be, but didn't connect it with the fats until now. There were also some anecdotes from other people, which made me think about trying vegetable oils.

Before pufa restriction I had some occasional skin problems like seb derm and dandruff on my scalp but I never had eczema or dry skin on my body. This was new. Increasing SFAs didn't help and possibly made dryness worse. So my current plan is reduced SFAs, ditch coconut oil completely, eat some mono fats with a little plant pufa (watching for omega 3/6 ratio) see what happens. So far so good.

As for other things I tried: I had some inital success with vitamin A (retinyl acetate). It didn't really heal anything but there was some improvement to my skin tone. It stopped working after a while so I upped the dose. That didn't help either and I started getting mouth ulcers, which I thought may have been from the supplement, and that was it.
Vit B2 seemed to improve my eczema for 1-2 weeks, then I had a mojor flare up and dropped it eventually.
Not much success with anything else. Nothing reduced overall dryness.

This is very interesting. What way did you add the canola oil? Cooking with it?
I try to avoid heating it. So when I make a tomato sauce, I let it cool down a bit then add the oil.
I eat some mayo almost daily too.

baccheion

Maybe there are individual differences in lipid metabolism (desaturase enzymes?) and some people need certain emount of PUFA in their diet. I don't know, just feel like experimenting because I wasn't really eating much plant fat for many years, and since finding Peat three years ago I cut the reamaining PUFA to minimum. I prepare almost all my food so it was pretty strict avoidance. The only exceptions were once or twice a year when I visited my parents for holidays where I traditionally eat some stuff with a lot of canola mayonnaise. I noticed that my dry feet improved after those visits. Had some strange ideas as to why that could be, but didn't connect it with the fats until now. There were also some anecdotes from other people, which made me think about trying vegetable oils.

Before pufa restriction I had some occasional skin problems like seb derm and dandruff on my scalp but I never had eczema or dry skin on my body. This was new. Increasing SFAs didn't help and possibly made dryness worse. So my current plan is reduced SFAs, ditch coconut oil completely, eat some mono fats with a little plant pufa (watching for omega 3/6 ratio) see what happens. So far so good.

As for other things I tried: I had some inital success with vitamin A (retinyl acetate). It didn't really heal anything but there was some improvement to my skin tone. It stopped working after a while so I upped the dose. That didn't help either and I started getting mouth ulcers, which I thought may have been from the supplement, and that was it.
Vit B2 seemed to improve my eczema for 1-2 weeks, then I had a mojor flare up and dropped it eventually.

I try to avoid heating it. So when I make a tomato sauce, I let it cool down a bit then add the oil.
How much DHA do you get per day? Have you tried the recommended 10-14 mg vitamin B6?

OP
J

Josh

Yes i'm the same mate, my avoidance was SUPER strict like i i've probably only eat out a handful of times in the last few years..

And i'm not joking thats my exact experience, before pufa restriction i got occasional skin problems like the dandruff and maybe seb derm but yeah no overall skin dryness of the body.. like before pufa restriction i could have boiling hot showers, come out and feel normal.. wow if i have a warm shower now or even a cold shower my whole body is tight! It's obviously lacking that natural oil production.

I'm gonna try ramping on the sunflower seeds anyway

mipp

How much DHA do you get per day? Have you tried the recommended 10-14 mg vitamin B6?
Not much except maybe small amount from eggs. I don't like fish and they were never really a part of my diet, even before pufa restriction. Tried some EPA/DHA supplement a couple months ago, though it was probably low dose. Maybe it's worth trying again now that I'm playing with pufa.
B6 in various b-complex I tried over the years, usually 5-10 mg, magnesium with P5P etc. I never really noticed positive long term effects from vitamin supplements tbh.

Yes i'm the same mate, my avoidance was SUPER strict like i i've probably only eat out a handful of times in the last few years..

And i'm not joking thats my exact experience, before pufa restriction i got occasional skin problems like the dandruff and maybe seb derm but yeah no overall skin dryness of the body.. like before pufa restriction i could have boiling hot showers, come out and feel normal.. wow if i have a warm shower now or even a cold shower my whole body is tight! It's obviously lacking that natural oil production.

I'm gonna try ramping on the sunflower seeds anyway
hah, I noticed that after taking a shower even the skin on my penis was dry and wrinkled, like it gets dehydrated very easily.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals