Low Fat Diet, Dry Skin, Acne

OP
E

EIRE24

@schultz Interesting info about B6. When I forget to take B6 supplements, my skin becomes dry. I take some B6, I get very smooth skin as if it was oiled up by coconut oil. Speaking of hydrogenated coconut oil, I ordered some from TKB Trading and it is the only coconut oil that I don't gag on it and it generally gives me positive results like increased thyroid function. I take 3 tablespoons of it a day and it's almost like a miracle supplement.
I have just started taking B6 and hoping it will have the same affect as you experience. Do you think you could get a similar outcome from butter instead of coconut oil? I suspect that i've some sort of allergy to coconut oil.

milk_lover

I have just started taking B6 and hoping it will have the same affect as you experience. Do you think you could get a similar outcome from butter instead of coconut oil? I suspect that i've some sort of allergy to coconut oil.
I eat butter from time to time and Peat said it's a safe oil because it is highly saturated unless the animals have been poisoned. He said it has some fat soluble vitamins like A and D. I think by displacing the unsaturated fat, butter can be helpful for thyroid, but some people gain weight from dairy fat, so I would assume it may be more fattening than HCO since it may have estrogen, some PUFA if the cows are fed soya and grains. But Butter is generally safe.

OP
E

EIRE24

I eat butter from time to time and Peat said it's a safe oil because it is highly saturated unless the animals have been poisoned. He said it has some fat soluble vitamins like A and D. I think by displacing the unsaturated fat, butter can be helpful for thyroid, but some people gain weight from dairy fat, so I would assume it may be more fattening than HCO since it may have estrogen, some PUFA if the cows are fed soya and grains. But Butter is generally safe.
Butter is tastier too. I think I may have an allergic reaction to coconut and the products. I definitely need fat in my diet though I do think the dry skin is a symptom of not having it in my diet.

milk_lover

Butter is tastier too. I think I may have an allergic reaction to coconut and the products. I definitely need fat in my diet though I do think the dry skin is a symptom of not having it in my diet.
have you tried hydrogenated coconut oil? It has no smell no taste. I don't like the smell nor the taste of virgin coconut oil. Actually it's very allergenic for me and I always gag and feel nauseated from it. I remember about one month ago, I took three full tablespoons of VCO and I felt sick for two days until I puked everything in the toilet. Also, there was clear water retention in my face.

Emstar1892

have you tried hydrogenated coconut oil? It has no smell no taste. I don't like the smell nor the taste of virgin coconut oil. Actually it's very allergenic for me and I always gag and feel nauseated from it. I remember about one month ago, I took three full tablespoons of VCO and I felt sick for two days until I puked everything in the toilet. Also, there was clear water retention in my face.

@milk_lover have you always been able to tolerate dairy? My skin is clear without it but I'll break out if I go near it, always have done. I'm trying to work out why though - butter is so low in lactose and proteins yet I ate some butter for the first time 2 days ago and now have 3 cysts. Same thing happened with coleslaw a couple of months back that had just about a teaspoon of cream in it. Even after all these years without it my system is completly hyper-sensitive!

milk_lover

@milk_lover have you always been able to tolerate dairy? My skin is clear without it but I'll break out if I go near it, always have done. I'm trying to work out why though - butter is so low in lactose and proteins yet I ate some butter for the first time 2 days ago and now have 3 cysts. Same thing happened with coleslaw a couple of months back that had just about a teaspoon of cream in it. Even after all these years without it my system is completly hyper-sensitive!
Actually all my life I have been drinking milk until I did a low carb "ketogenic" diet for a year and half and I cut back on milk completely because it's a source of "carb." To keep it simple, I ****88 up my body so badly during this year and half. And when I started peating, milk gave me so many problems from digestions to acne you name it. Slowly, I tolerate milk more and more each day. The reason I kept drinking milk is because I enjoy drinking it so much that I didn't let those troubles stop me. For some reason, my tongue buds enjoy that white liquid :)

I learned to be careful with milk. I choose and drink what works for me. No added vitamins milk anymore because that's what gives me troubles mostly. I try to choose the organic type even if it was UHT. I think my metabolism has increased a lot since starting "peating" a year and half ago. And now milk gives me mostly positive results.

You could be sensitive to the hormones in the dairy fat? Sometimes full-fat milk gives me headache and I attribute that to the hormones in the fat.

OP
E

EIRE24

Actually all my life I have been drinking milk until I did a low carb "ketogenic" diet for a year and half and I cut back on milk completely because it's a source of "carb." To keep it simple, I ****88 up my body so badly during this year and half. And when I started peating, milk gave me so many problems from digestions to acne you name it. Slowly, I tolerate milk more and more each day. The reason I kept drinking milk is because I enjoy drinking it so much that I didn't let those troubles stop me. For some reason, my tongue buds enjoy that white liquid :)

I learned to be careful with milk. I choose and drink what works for me. No added vitamins milk anymore because that's what gives me troubles mostly. I try to choose the organic type even if it was UHT. I think my metabolism has increased a lot since starting "peating" a year and half ago. And now milk gives me mostly positive results.

You could be sensitive to the hormones in the dairy fat? Sometimes full-fat milk gives me headache and I attribute that to the hormones in the fat.
Did your acne from that period just go away or did you have to take steps to get rid of it?

milk_lover

They went away slowly as I was increasing my metabolism and covering my nutrition needs like zinc, B6, vitamin A etc.,The acne was not very severe to care about it so I didn't take specific steps to get rid of it because my goals were raising my temperature and pulse.

tara

I'm wondering if this is due to not having enough fat in my diet to provide moisture or to keep the skin supple?
Could be.

Gelatin/collagen is full of endotoxins
Exxageration?

I am going to enquire about an anti biotic from my doctor which I do not think he will prescribe but worth a try. I am worried about the side effects and what other damage it could do but it is one of the only things I have not tried?
Have you tried increasing your fat intake for a while since you went on the low-fat strategy? If not, you've got that still to try. Eg add 1 tsp coconut oil or butter to each meal. That's still not a lot of fat, but more than 10g a day. And if that makes no difference, try a bit more.

Did you try topical aspirin?

Do you track your nutrition on cronometer or something similar? Given that you have been such a low-fat diet for a year now it's possible you just need more micro nutrients (more than you think). For example, on a low fat diet, I think the need for vitamin B6 is increased quite a bit. A deficiency of vitamin B6 can cause seborrheic dermatitis. That is just an example and your B6 intake may be fine, but a mild deficiency of any of the fat and water soluble vitamins or any of the minerals is where I would look first before resorting to something else.
+1
I'd plump for this before resorting to antibiotics too.

ilovethesea

I was going to second the idea to try more vitamin A. 50,000 IU isn't that high. A lot of people take 100,000+. Haidut posted some studies you could look up about toxicity at high doses.

You could try it for a couple weeks at least, monitoring temperatures and pulse to make sure it's not suppressing thyroid. Maybe take it with a spoonful of coconut oil?

Do you use anything to exfoliate your skin?

OP
E

EIRE24

I was going to second the idea to try more vitamin A. 50,000 IU isn't that high. A lot of people take 100,000+. Haidut posted some studies you could look up about toxicity at high doses.

You could try it for a couple weeks at least, monitoring temperatures and pulse to make sure it's not suppressing thyroid. Maybe take it with a spoonful of coconut oil?

Do you use anything to exfoliate your skin?
Yes I am increasing the vitamin A and watching for signals. I'm hoping it'll help.

No, I just wash with water and when I have to exfoliate I manually do it with my hands using no soap as that makes my skin way worse due to the aggressive chemicals

ilovethesea

Yes I am increasing the vitamin A and watching for signals. I'm hoping it'll help.

No, I just wash with water and when I have to exfoliate I manually do it with my hands using no soap as that makes my skin way worse due to the aggressive chemicals

Maybe it would help if you used a warm wet face cloth. You could hold it to your face for 5-10 seconds to let the steam soften your skin. Then wipe gently - it would remove some of the dead skin.

Do you use any moisturizer on your face?

OP
E

EIRE24

Maybe it would help if you used a warm wet face cloth. You could hold it to your face for 5-10 seconds to let the steam soften your skin. Then wipe gently - it would remove some of the dead skin.

Do you use any moisturizer on your face?
Yes that is what I do.

No, none at all

jyb

Have you considered applying some coconut oil or jojoba oil?

Coconut oil is infamous for being drying on the skin. Search this forum and you'll see I'm not the only one with that opinion. I would never use it on the skin if I had skin problems. Safer options are cocoa butter or beef suet. I find them safe. But safest is always to avoid doing anything at all, just water rinse, but if you have to try something then...

natedawggh

Hi folk,

I've wrote before and have asked questions on the forum about my acne.

I've been doing a super low fat for over a year and my skin has become so dry I get a thin layer of yellow flakes that makes my face looked tanned and has to be exfoliated very frequently. I'm wondering if this is due to not having enough fat in my diet to provide moisture or to keep the skin supple?

I've also gotten acne from it that will not go away no matter how much vitamin A or zinc I take. I was thinking it may be a gut issues but I digest everything without problems. I may try an antibiotic but I am scared it may create more gut issues and leave me worse off?

I would love some help putting this all together.

Thanks

Yes. Stop low fat.

Vitamin A releases Iron from the liver, and excess Iron goes through the skin to be shed by the body, contributing to acne. For a bit, stop vitamin A supplementation and take cilantro as a supplement for two weeks, while also avoiding high Iron sources of food. You should see a reduction in acne, and an elimination once all the free Iron in your blood is chelated or bound to ferritin.

OP
E

EIRE24

Yes. Stop low fat.

Vitamin A releases Iron from the liver, and excess Iron goes through the skin to be shed by the body, contributing to acne. For a bit, stop vitamin A supplementation and take cilantro as a supplement for two weeks, while also avoiding high Iron sources of food. You should see a reduction in acne, and an elimination once all the free Iron in your blood is chelated or bound to ferritin.
Thanks for the advice. So, can I continue vitamin A supplementation after the two weeks of cliantro?

In stopping low fat I should add butter, coconut oil?

ilovethesea

Coconut oil is infamous for being drying on the skin. Search this forum and you'll see I'm not the only one with that opinion. I would never use it on the skin if I had skin problems. Safer options are cocoa butter or beef suet. I find them safe. But safest is always to avoid doing anything at all, just water rinse, but if you have to try something then...

I use coconut oil on my face and I don't find it drying. If you use a serum or gel underneath it creates a nice barrier to prevent the moisture from escaping. Cocoa butter etc. would make me break out, it's very heavy.

Yes. Stop low fat.

@natedawggh

What cilantro exactly and what dosage and how many times a day please ?

bohogirl

Butter breaks me out real bad, so does cheese. It seems like it's more the dairy fat breaking me out than anything else. I'm going to test out low fat milk,starting with skim to see if I break out.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals