The Safest Source Of PUFA

mrchibbs

Guys i just think it is way to much of a coincidence that after i stopped consuming any source of PUFA that i started noticing dry skin.. I noticed this straight away but at the time would never have put it down to PUFA as i had just studied everything possible from RP and was completely bought on the idea, so i just put it to the back of my mind and have tried so many things since 2017 september

.. but i always think if it was REALLY things like b6 deficiency or some sort of mineral or vitamin deficiency then most people would have dry skin, but the opposite is usually the case, i work in a big office and i rarely rarely see people with dry skin, i see people with oily skin all day long, and these peoples diets are ****88, like literally as you've all probably seen 95% of the populations diets are ****88, full of pufa etc but i notice their skins are always full of moisture.. people normally complain of oily skin

There are a million things which can cause dry skin. We have all experience some degree of it. Blaming it on not having enough PUFAs is measurably wrong.
Your 95% call about people not having dry skin is nonsense. Everybody I know complains of dry skin, especially in winter.

Try to eat a portion of liver every week. As I wrote above vitamin A prevents skin issues. Take some vitamin E once in a while to ensure there is no
peroxidation. If you want more oily skin, go to Idealabs and order a bottle of DHEA, and apply it topically, eventually it will make your skin oily
like a teenager.

Do you eat fruits, and foods with higher water content? Do you salt your food to taste? Your skin is an organ and it needs a lot to function properly.

Also, sweat more, it may be that your skin has become a bit less active, so if you can get into a sauna or exercise lightly to sweat, that might be beneficial.
But you'll need more minerals like salt, magnesium, potassium to compensate for the sweat.

RealNeat

Guys i just think it is way to much of a coincidence that after i stopped consuming any source of PUFA that i started noticing dry skin.. I noticed this straight away but at the time would never have put it down to PUFA as i had just studied everything possible from RP and was completely bought on the idea, so i just put it to the back of my mind and have tried so many things since 2017 september

.. but i always think if it was REALLY things like b6 deficiency or some sort of mineral or vitamin deficiency then most people would have dry skin, but the opposite is usually the case, i work in a big office and i rarely rarely see people with dry skin, i see people with oily skin all day long, and these peoples diets are ****88, like literally as you've all probably seen 95% of the populations diets are ****88, full of pufa etc but i notice their skins are always full of moisture.. people normally complain of oily skin
increase you nutrients liver, oyster, milk, fresh ripe fruit, oxtail broth, vitamin E may help along with Biosil silica.

RealNeat

increase you nutrients liver, oyster, milk, fresh ripe fruit, oxtail broth, vitamin E may help along with Biosil silica.
Also clean shower products like olive oil soap and a shower filter may help. Tap water destroys my skin along with chemical products. I lived in the tropics and tanked my vitamin A because of the sun, causing my skin to crack, then eating liver fixed it.

mrchibbs

Also clean shower products like olive oil soap and a shower filter may help. Tap water destroys my skin along with chemical products. I lived in the tropics and tanked my vitamin A because of the sun, causing my skin to crack, then eating liver fixed it.

That's a mistake I made too. Getting too much sun without compensating by eating more liver.
Also, when you're in a stressed state, FFA are elevated and can form lipofuscin with iron during sun exposure, aging the skin further.

OP
J

Josh

i'm not saying 100% thats its pufa but its the only thing that makes sense, i've had oily skin all throughout life, by diet majorly changed when i found ray peat, and pufa is the only thing that would make sense, I literally went from eating the most anti peat diet (Lots of veg/nuts/seeds/salmon/zero sat fat, no liver, no dairy nothing) and having oily skin to RP and having dry skin..I have spoke with a lot of people who say the same thing happened when they went RP... I went through a long period of eating liver last year 100g a week, i've started eating it again now so hopefully that makes a difference.

Mate i've been in this community for 3 years now of course i've tried them things.. milk and dairy i cant consume as it flares up eczema(But did drink it for months on end at the start made no difference i've tried raw, pasturized etc..), yes salt food to taste, yes eat watermelons, mangos, etc etc but them things DEFINITELY do not make a difference, the fact you think these things will make any difference with dry skin is bizzare.. i guess i'll just have to see if my experiment works

i'm not saying 100% thats its pufa but its the only thing that makes sense, i've had oily skin all throughout life, by diet majorly changed when i found ray peat, and pufa is the only thing that would make sense, I literally went from eating the most anti peat diet (Lots of veg/nuts/seeds/salmon/zero sat fat, no liver, no dairy nothing) and having oily skin to RP and having dry skin..I have spoke with a lot of people who say the same thing happened when they went RP... I went through a long period of eating liver last year 100g a week, i've started eating it again now so hopefully that makes a difference.

Mate i've been in this community for 3 years now of course i've tried them things.. milk and dairy i cant consume as it flares up eczema(But did drink it for months on end at the start made no difference i've tried raw, pasturized etc..), yes salt food to taste, yes eat watermelons, mangos, etc etc but them things DEFINITELY do not make a difference, the fact you think these things will make any difference with dry skin is bizzare.. i guess i'll just have to see if my experiment works

I supplemented with everything,had lo-PUFA background from other angles than PEAT,did all the supplementations,which are fine and should be done apart from cosmetics.Long-Time Acne disorder,
not the white comedone type,but inflammatory,and did all scientific regimes,based on hypotheses i developed why i could have this deficiency or that.Turns out,deficiency is of course real.PUFA are real,most landanimals have them,and they are necessary.We eat wildlife,their fat,their bodyfat has around 10-20 percent PUFAs.If 'they' are living in the wild,they eat grasses and leaves,which are not Linoleic Acid - dominant,O6,like under-surface seeds,but Alpha Linolenic Acid dominant,O3.So by eating seed-oils,you get O6:O3 Ratio,which is real and highly important,disordered. 2:1 Ratio is found in wildlife,changing it to 1:1 is maybe even better.Another thing are specific Fatty Acids,Linoleic Acid is, backed with compelling evidence, physiologic part of skin,not on a hormonal or prostaglandin level,but structural.It sits there,and needs to be.LA cant be replaced by Arachidonic Acid.

postman

The theory is that EFA "defiency" would increase your nutritional needs above that of a regular person. Meaning that your coworkers don't need as much b6 and b7.

It should be pretty easy to find out if it's true. You could just buy pure b6 powder and b7 powder and take those and see if your skin condition resolves. If PUFA resolves it but those vitamins don't then Ray is at least partislly wrong.

Personally I've only experienced benefits from low pufa consumption. I think it's important to go below that low threshold Ray talks about 4g per day, to really maximize mead acid production. How many grams of PUFA are you eating per day?

baccheion

Hydration and oiliness are opposed. Proper hydration lowers oil secretion. Oils are said to be released as part of minimizing moisture loss to air.

Vitamin A increases hydration and lowers oiliness.

Ensure a good amount of zinc and vitamin B6. ZMA, even, as it was said somewhere that even 10 mg pyridoxine was enough.

When I took higher amounts of vitamin E, there was a similar effect to mega amounts of DHA.

Oiliness isn't a good skin. There's a difference between dry and dehydrated (ie, itchy or "paradoxically" oily).
The theory is that EFA "defiency" would increase your nutritional needs above that of a regular person. Meaning that your coworkers don't need as much b6 and b7.

It should be pretty easy to find out if it's true. You could just buy pure b6 powder and b7 powder and take those and see if your skin condition resolves. If PUFA resolves it but those vitamins don't then Ray is at least partislly wrong.

Personally I've only experienced benefits from low pufa consumption. I think it's important to go below that low threshold Ray talks about 4g per day, to really maximize mead acid production. How many grams of PUFA are you eating per day?
How much lower? 2g/2,000?

postman

Hydration and oiliness are opposed. Proper hydration lowers oil secretion. Oils are said to be released as part of minimizing moisture loss to air.

Vitamin A increases hydration and lowers oiliness.

Ensure a good amount of zinc and vitamin B6. ZMA, even, as it was said somewhere that even 10 mg pyridoxine was enough.

When I took higher amounts of vitamin E, there was a similar effect to mega amounts of DHA.

Oiliness isn't a good skin. There's a difference between dry and dehydrated (ie, itchy or "paradoxically" oily).
How much lower? 2g/2,000?
What?

postman

How much lower would daily PUFA have to be?

"I think it's important to go below that low threshold Ray talks about 4g"
Ah, I could have been more clear in my writing. What I meant to say is that the 4g threshold is sensible and that if we truly want to produce lots of mead acid we should try to not breach it, we should try to not consume more than 4g of PUFA per day.

I think a lot of people consider themselves to be avoiding PUFAs but some people eat more than 4g per day, not realizing how much of it is in eggs, seafood, or even just cheese or butter or chocolate.

cyclops

Just eat a peat diet with higher fat foods more often.

Eat oysters a few times a week, other shellfish, eat lots of eggs each day, grass-fed fatty beef, even cheese probably has some. How much more pufa can one man want?

OP
J

Josh

i do eat lots of fatty peaty food, but it's still low pufa at like 5-6g maximum..

mrchibbs

Just eat a peat diet with higher fat foods more often.

Eat oysters a few times a week, other shellfish, eat lots of eggs each day, grass-fed fatty beef, even cheese probably has some. How much more pufa can one man want?

My suspicion is that dry skin is a byproduct of nutrient/mineral deficiencies. Eating more liver/shellfish and fattier cuts of meat as you mention can probably fix it, and it has in my case. Had terrible dry flaky skin, dry eyes, dry everything and I used to take flax oil (I was a dumbass). Since I've learned about Ray, all of this has gone away, except occasional rosacea and inflamed skin when I haven't eaten enough liver, or more typically, shellfish, for a while. And oysters really are by far more nutrient rich than any other shellfish, which are still quite good.

Nicole W.

Have you tried applying an oil with a more balanced fatty acid profile to the troubled skin areas? Like olive, sesame, Tamanu, macadamia, sea buckthorn or like? Some people cleanse with these oils and then wipe them off. It might be safer than ingesting them and still give your skin the emollience and moisture you need.
As far as foods are concerned, I would focus on nuts because many of them have the vitamin e built in, as well as other nutrients, that hopefully prove to be protective in the face of the PUFA content. Choose wisely though... probably nuts like almonds or macadamia would be the safest.
I would also like to say that a balanced diet with a wide variety of foods is best. That concept has stood the test of time but is eschewed here in favor of a diet consisting of just a handful of foods.
If you are doing the “Ray Peat” diet right, you are cutting out A LOT of foods. I can honestly say I don’t think any naturally healthy and long lived person did/ does that. Two of my grandparents lived to be over a hundred and my mom and dad into their mid 90’s... and guess what? They ate everything. Absolutely everything! They occasionally ate nuts, peanut butter, cakes made with vegetable oil, salmon, beans and every other vilified food here ( at RPF) and they were just fine. They also smoked and drank alcohol.

Maybe if they had known better they would have avoided those foods but they didn’t overthink what they ate, they just ate mostly at home and in moderation. I think it’s easy to forget that our bodies compensate for all the good and bad things that come into it. Every single food has a dark side, (even water does!) so one has to accept that you can’t entirely escape the harm incurred from every food you eat.
But as Ray said, keeping your metabolism high makes even harmful things we are exposed to a lot less harmful. So your goal should be to be strategic and to start including some foods you once eliminated to see if there’s improvement in your skin condition. I think it would probably be ok as long as you don’t go overboard.

snacks

Rostov-on-Don, Russia/Southern United States
My suspicion is that dry skin is a byproduct of nutrient/mineral deficiencies. Eating more liver/shellfish and fattier cuts of meat as you mention can probably fix it, and it has in my case. Had terrible dry flaky skin, dry eyes, dry everything and I used to take flax oil (I was a dumbass). Since I've learned about Ray, all of this has gone away, except occasional rosacea and inflamed skin when I haven't eaten enough liver, or more typically, shellfish, for a while. And oysters really are by far more nutrient rich than any other shellfish, which are still quite good.

As peat and others mentioned including in this thread PUFA can give the appearance of improved health by suppressing immune response i.e. it's possible that whatever is wrong with OP truly was unmasked by "peating." This was the case with me as my skin got very dry until I fixed nutritional deficiencies (too many to count or to be useful in helping OP narrow anything down efficiently(

ursidae

My experience: too much liver dried it up for 7 months, PUFA intake (from fish and nuts) varied throughout this period, sebum viscosity remained the same
Large doses of Supplemental Vitamin d, mk-4 and e made it fluid again. Vit d and e you’d find in cold water fish so maybe if I ate a ton of that I’d get the same result

lilsticky

i used to get an oily face all the time from eating sea salted potato chips

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals