Should I Be Soaking Sunflower Seeds Before Eating Them?

Josh

Should i be soaking sunflower seeds before eating them and if so, for how long??

(i know this is completely anti peat but it's something i am trialing at the moment as i have noticed way more dry skin since going low pufa..) Please just give me the answer the question i don't wanna hear how bad PUFA is i've heard enough :stop::D

Dave Clark

Should i be soaking sunflower seeds before eating them and if so, for how long??

(i know this is completely anti peat but it's something i am trialing at the moment as i have noticed way more dry skin since going low pufa..) Please just give me the answer the question i don't wanna hear how bad PUFA is i've heard enough :stop::D
Peat talks about sprouting seeds to make them less irritating to the digestion, etc. Sprouting apparently helps breakdown the phytates and other components that make them hard to digest. Same with bread dough, using sourdough and fermentation of the flour makes it more digestible. Soaking is probably better than nothing, but sprouting is what is needed to make them easy to digest. This process does not eliminate the PUFAs, however, Peat said that the nixtemilized process done on corn flour does emulsify and wash away PUFAs, if you are looking for a flour that is low or PUFA free.

Beastmode

@Josh
Your dry skin isn't necessarily coming from low pufa, it can be something you're not getting in the diet that was in some of the foods with pufa in them.

Check your diet now and make sure you're getting the essentials before you make yourself worse with sunflower seeds.

Sunflower seeds are best soaked in the toilet before you flush them. #notkidding

:)

mrchibbs

You've discarded all other opinions on this topic, so I'll be honest it's difficult to say anything else, because your opinion is already set. So go ahead!

Sunflower seeds or any seeds aren't digestible. So yes, the ideal approach is to soak them, and let them sprout, or you can make seed yogurt (plenty on the topic online). Fresh seeds and nuts have some vitamin E, but maybe supplementing vitamin E is wise since it's almost impossible to find really fresh stuff, and you need to prevent the PUFAs from oxidizing.

I don't get it however. Just eat 10 eggs everyday and loads of oysters, and different shellfish and you'll get loads of PUFAs, with lots of additional nutrition.

I would actually follow the advice of mrchibbs and eat eggs and shellfish,at least for Linoleic Acid.

Eggs flare my eczema up and i cant get good seafood at present

you could try to eat only the yolks?maybe you are not allergic to that.Got your exzema better with low pufa or anything to report on that one?And i would advise to take the oils,and not the whole hog.

mrchibbs

Eggs flare my eczema up and i cant get good seafood at present

You can order canned oysters online at the life giving store, or even on amazon.

I'm sure you can find frozen shrimps, or mussels etc at your supermarket.

Much better choice than sunflower seed, and they give you the PUFAs you want along with lots of nutrition.

OP
J

Josh

you could try to eat only the yolks?maybe you are not allergic to that.Got your exzema better with low pufa or anything to report on that one?And i would advise to take the oils,and not the whole hog.

Yeah i could try the yolk only.. Eczema has been worse since low pufa. What do you mean by advise to take the oils and not the whole hog?

OP
J

Josh

You can order canned oysters online at the life giving store, or even on amazon.

I'm sure you can find frozen shrimps, or mussels etc at your supermarket.

Much better choice than sunflower seed, and they give you the PUFAs you want along with lots of nutrition.

I live in the uk so its difficult

mrchibbs

I live in the uk so its difficult

Like I said, I'm sure there is frozen and canned seafood at your supermarket. And it's a better option than eating sunflower seeds.
If you simply eat more seafood, eggs, pork, chicken etc. you can easily get 20g+ of PUFAs a day, while eating nutritious foods.

Since you're hell bent on eating PUFAs, do it with style and get some nutrition at the same time. And take some vitamin E to prevent the PUFAs from oxidizing.

Eating gelatinous cuts of meat is also great for skin, and Korean food has a lot of it, but it's hard to get, so maybe try having more gelatin like jello or something.

Yeah i could try the yolk only.. Eczema has been worse since low pufa. What do you mean by advise to take the oils and not the whole hog?

Not the seeds,the whole hog,they contain Plant Poisons and Antinutrients.Highest Quality Oil if the yolk-thing doesnt work out.also,what mrchibbs said.Furthermore,Flaxseed Oil is imo necessary if your meat products or milk and such are grain fed,then they are severely Linoleic Acid dominant.It is helpful and physiologic in exzema and similar conditions also,my acne improved with balanced O6:O3 Ratio of 1:1 approx.

Never really had acne in my life nor eczema. Currently eating around 4-5g of PUFAs since several months and my skin is good as always (dry lips actually disappeared)

Kray

Not the seeds,the whole hog,they contain Plant Poisons and Antinutrients.Highest Quality Oil if the yolk-thing doesnt work out.also,what mrchibbs said.Furthermore,Flaxseed Oil is imo necessary if your meat products or milk and such are grain fed,then they are severely Linoleic Acid dominant.It is helpful and physiologic in exzema and similar conditions also,my acne improved with balanced O6:O3 Ratio of 1:1 approx.
@Tristan Loscha
You made some interesting points on fats ratio balancing. I need to try this, as I have similar problems that nothing so far has helped. Would you please provide a good brand to hit this ratio, or is a good-quality flaxseed oil what you recommend? I appreciate your feedback!

P.S. If flaxseed is the best best, do you suggest the plain or the "lignan-rich" flaxseed?

Last edited:
EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals