Some PUFA helpful/necessary?

paymanz

im still not sure if PUFAs are as bad as ray thinks, but anyways you get enough of them in a peatish diet(unless you do some strict pure diet). just removed veg oil and seeds and nuts from my diet. if you look at different cultures and also human history lots of people live a normal healthy life without any of them. so no worries for me.

Ritchie

Not sure if you guys in the thread are aware, Peat now recommends and consumes olive oil daily.. This by extension includes avocado since it is practically the same composition (although higher vitamin e so possibly slightly better). Reading through I got the vibe that people think avocado is "anti-peat", which it isn't. At least not anymore.

In response to the original question, Hayley, I agree with others saying experimentation is key. I would only caveat that by saying if you are going to experiment with some foods with PUFA aim for non heat treated, and balanced with saturated fats throughout the rest of your diet (which I'm sure you do).

Herbie

Not sure if it applies. Sometimes the issue is low fat.

If one increases fat from dairy and ruminants, olive oil in effect they are increasing pufa intake.

The saturated to pufa ratio and omega 6 to 3 ratio is what matters as well.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

Update: I got Dr. Adorable’s organic cold pressed wheat germ oil from Amazon, and started taking about a teaspoon a day a week ago. I can’t believe it, but my skin is so much smoother now after just a week of use, and even looks more hydrated... maybe it was the vitamin E after all.

aniciete

Update: I got Dr. Adorable’s organic cold pressed wheat germ oil from Amazon, and started taking about a teaspoon a day a week ago. I can’t believe it, but my skin is so much smoother now after just a week of use, and even looks more hydrated... maybe it was the vitamin E after all.
Have you ever tried haiduts tocovit? It’s wheat germ oil with no pufa

ww3not4me

I eliminated them from the food I make. My food allergies keep me away from processed food for the most part! When I eat things that might have or likely have PUFA in them other things in them are a bigger issue for me like corn, wheat, soy, peanuts, tree nuts etc.....

OP
Hayley

Hayley

Update: wheat germ oil was not the solution. I guess it was a fluke that my skin looked better for a few days. It’s now back to looking meh with dryness and breakouts.

I have a new hypothesis; I got Covid in January, and ever since then is really when my skin started looking much worse. I think I had a compromised immune system at that point that affected my skin and hasn’t resolved itself yet. Working on my gut health now with gelatin/bone broth daily.

OP
Hayley

Hayley

@Hayley did you make any progress with the dry skin issues? Scalp at my hairline gets bad at times....
Hey it’s been awhile since I’ve been on here, yes my skin has cleared up and is looking so much better.

I’m still eating a peaty diet, not terribly strict but generally avoid PUFAs. I’m in my 7th month of pregnancy so there’s a lot of factors that could be at play. I’ll list some different variables that could be the cause:

- I minimized my skin care routine. I only use a very gentle cleaner at night followed by cerve pm moisturizer and that’s it. Nothing in the am. Before I used a chemical exfoliant once or twice a week so that could have been contributing to dryness on my face.

-since around 4 months pregnant I stopped surfing so spending far less time in the ocean. It’s possibly many hours of ocean water exposure was drying out my skin.

-I started taking a prenatal vitamin

-I gained weight and body fat since becoming pregnant, could be better nourished now. I eat every 3 hours typically.

-after fiddling around with my hydration and trying not to drink too much water, I think I became somewhat dehydrated. I started drinking more water again (usually with some juice and sometimes salt mixed in). I probably drink 10-12 glasses of fluid a day. Mind you I’m pregnant and am active in a hot climate so my needs are high.

I don’t know which of these factors had the biggest impact, but at least I can say I didn’t need to supplement PUFA to have my skin look better.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals