Wild Salmon Fixed Dry Skin and Improved Digestion

julcreutz

Been on a very low PUFA and restricted diet (mostly carnivore, but experimented a lot with carbs, no fish) for almost 2 years.
I've had dry skin, especially on my knuckles for about 1 and a half years.

I had read to eat more fat and so I did. Lamb fat, beef fat, but the more fat I ate, the drier my hands got and the oilier my hair.

I've read some testimonies about people having experienced EFA deficiency after longterm PUFA restriction, so I decided to give wild salmon a go and within 3 days of consuming
it daily, my dry skin has almost completely been fixed.

Also, I notice that my digestion when eating carbs is better. Before, I also felt it more in my stomach, but now it almost feels like there's nothing in there at all.

youngsinatra

Same experience here. Total PUFA exclusion made my skin quality the worst it has ever been. Upping zinc, B-vitamins and co didn't help. Only marine fatty acids solve it.

-Luke-

I had a similar experience ~10 years ago. Wild salmon also has a fairly low amount of total PUFA, so nothing to worry about in my opinion.

jet9

+1, i never had problems with dry skin, but in terms of well being / energy / carb tolerance i do much better when i include quality wild seafood in my diet - mackerel, sea bass, halibut, flounders works best for me.

I think animal PUFA omega 3 is very beneficial. There are million of studies to back it up. (they are just not cherry picked on this forum)
PUFA omega 6 is bad though.

youngsinatra

I think wild seafood is not a problem. Vegetable oils and excess linoleic acid consumption drives the PUFA epidemic - not whole animal food.

Serene

Interesting.

I may be in the same boat as you.

My skin has become extremely rough dry and bumpy in places.

I have tried increasing vitamin a, lots of zinc b vits, topical vitamins moisturizers, exfoliation, KP treatments and nothing...

My skin looked great when I was eating lots of sardines and bacon (on keto) which i dont est much of anymore. I do notice that it seems slightly better the day after I eat bacon.

I'm going to start eating sardines and bacon more often and see what happens. Problem is when I increase fat too much, I just get fat. Lol

lebanesegirl

Interesting.

I may be in the same boat as you.

My skin has become extremely rough dry and bumpy in places.

I have tried increasing vitamin a, lots of zinc b vits, topical vitamins moisturizers, exfoliation, KP treatments and nothing...

My skin looked great when I was eating lots of sardines and bacon (on keto) which i dont est much of anymore. I do notice that it seems slightly better the day after I eat bacon.

I'm going to start eating sardines and bacon more often and see what happens. Problem is when I increase fat too much, I just get fat. Lol

I also have been struggling with KP and dry, dull and bumpy skin for years. I might start introducing salmon and other fatty fish. Some people suggest fish oil for KP, or even aggressive Vit A supplementing but I don't want to do irreversible damage. I have tried all of the creams and oils you could think of, it's definitely an internal thing.

Has anyone found a way to improve overall body skin texture?

JacobG

Personally, I think Peat is mistaken on n-3s from fresh animal sources. His extrapolation from a very specific context can lead to quite some mistakes. Fresh animal fats are totally different than seed oils or fish oil. The lectins, excessive LA, deuterium and oxidation products like 4HNE from seed oils are the problem.

youngsinatra

Daily 4 whole large eggs and 1.5g of combined EPA/DHA by high-quality fish-oil and I have perfect skin since then. Suffered from severe dandruff trying a PUFA-depletion for couple months. My metabolic rate did not reduce, but actually I feel leaner, have better libido and enjoy better digestion.

But of course fixing other micronutrient deficiencies is also very important - zinc, copper, retinol, vitamin D, K2, tocopherols....

akgrrrl

I have been saying this over and over. The freakout over pufa content is not warranted if you have access to deep water wild salmon. THIS is what salmon should look like. Why is it so hard to understand that we are consuming whatever the fish or mammal has consumed? Artificially fed fish, cows, and pigs been fed canola sprayed grains for decades. Its not like they have a choice...

Attachments

• 20210725_170722.jpg
    20210725_170722.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 20210725_170705.jpg
    20210725_170705.jpg
    361.7 KB · Views: 160

Mauritio

Anybody tried high dose biotin, as in several mgs for a few days.
In the old EFAD studies I think that was one of the biggest things that caused issues ...

Kira

I have been saying this over and over. The freakout over pufa content is not warranted if you have access to deep water wild salmon. THIS is what salmon should look like. Why is it so hard to understand that we are consuming whatever the fish or mammal has consumed? Artificially fed fish, cows, and pigs been fed canola sprayed grains for decades. Its not like they have a choice...
looks great! I assume you order online? If so - what is the company?

akgrrrl

looks great! I assume you order online? If so - what is the company?
No, sorry, I walk to the river with a cooler, knife, and a gearedup fishing pole.
However, I used to train personell at Trident foods who sold wildcaught red salmon to Whole Foods. I have seen the boxes strapped to pallets ready for shipping. JohnMackey no longer owns WholeFoods so I cannot assure you they still buy Alaska deepwater red salmon.

Similar experiences here, but not with skin..mostly cognition. Being PUFA depleted gave me a goldfish memory and a stunted learning capacity. I tried all sorts of things and read Peats articles back to back, but nothing he suggested or his theories panned out. I was thinking back to how i felt pretty sharp when i was consuming mackerel as my staple and took the "risk" and incorporated it again with some occasional wild salmon to alternate(plus, that ***t aint cheap). A couple of days later it was pretty obvious for me it was the missing piece.

**** PUFA, linoleic acid larden seed oils, but i am all for infrequent oily fish consumption

Mauritio

What to do if someone has very dry skin and the only things that seem to help a little are PUFA oils like almond, sesame, flax,...? Correct the thyroid function. Thyroid makes you form sebum.
Peat commented on that issue apparently.
The problem just seems that increasing my dose of T3 ,increases my dry skin. It clearly seems that there is a nutrient thing going on here . I'm just not exactly sure which one . I'm guessing some b vitamin...atm I'm trying them isolatedly but results are inconclusive .
Still have to try b1,b5 ,b4 and b12 isolatedly. Maybe vitamin D and A might also play a role .
If all that doesnt work I might consider the salmon lol

metamorph

Peat commented on that issue apparently.
The problem just seems that increasing my dose of T3 ,increases my dry skin. It clearly seems that there is a nutrient thing going on here . I'm just not exactly sure which one . I'm guessing some b vitamin...atm I'm trying them isolatedly but results are inconclusive .
Still have to try b1,b5 ,b4 and b12 isolatedly. Maybe vitamin D and A might also play a role .
If all that doesnt work I might consider the salmon lol
Did you ever solve this?

Mauritio

lvysaur

I think wild seafood is not a problem. Vegetable oils and excess linoleic acid consumption drives the PUFA epidemic - not whole animal food.
They both do. Occasional whole foods with PUFA aren't harmful, regardless of whether it's plant (pistachio, nuts) or animal (salmon)

Some of the very greasy farmed pork/salmon out there is probably bad if not eaten in moderation

yerrag

Problem is most people can't distinguish between wild salmon and farmed ones, especially when people never even seen what wild salmon looks and tastes like.

So, most people in the Philippines go into restos serving farmed salmon, they indulge in it especially in eat-all-you-cans. Feeling very healthy. The foul smell is what they mistake for real salmon flavor and taste.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals