How To Prevent Oily Skin

EIRE24

Ok, so its definitely the oily skin that causes my acne. What happens is a cycle.

My skin gets oily and the skin cells that try to shed simply cannot. They stick to my face and build up and give me a yellow/brown skin like appearance. I understand sebum and the top layer of oil on the skin are important but if its preventing the dead skin cells from sloughing off and sitting on my face to cause the acne, what should I do?

Keeping it dry, not overly dry but the normal skin everyone else has where there is not a shiny layer of sebum seems impossible for me and I have tried everything?

Totally lost at this stage. Any opinions?

marcar72

You might try some baking soda based face scrub, homemade. Maybe as simple as baking soda and water. You could adjust the ratio as needed to get a desired consistency.

I used to put like a 1/4 cup of baking soda in my Epsom salt baths and still do from time to time. I don't on a regular basis anymore because it was drying my skin out.

Soybean

Topical niacinamide helps (theres a study somewhere on decreased sebum with topical niacinamide). I mix a topical consisting of vitamin C, niacinamide and water everyday and apply it to my face. Seems to help with my acne.

Using a gentle cleanser helps as well.

Steene

Topical niacinamide helps (theres a study somewhere on decreased sebum with topical niacinamide). I mix a topical consisting of vitamin C, niacinamide and water everyday and apply it to my face. Seems to help with my acne.

Using a gentle cleanser helps as well.

I used topical niacinamide dissolved in water and had to stop it because it caused some bad acne. Now I will never touch my skin on my face ever again the best way to have a healthy skin in my experience is to leave it as it is if everything works relatively fine and stop "optimizing".

Soybean

I used topical niacinamide dissolved in water and had to stop it because it caused some bad acne. Now I will never touch my skin on my face ever again the best way to have a healthy skin in my experience is to leave it as it is if everything works relatively fine and stop "optimizing".

Do you know how much niacinamide or what concentration you used?

Good to hear that you have healthy skin while not using anything on it.

In a perfect peaty scenario I agree, not much should be necessary for healthy skin. Peating improved my skin drastically but didnt get rid of all of my acne and sebum. Using things like topical niacinamide and vitamin C make sense from a peaty perspective, and for most people won't cause extra problems.

walker_in_aus

Coffee Grounds. Caffeine gets the skin working, plus minor physical manipulation. Works wonders.

OP
E

EIRE24

You might try some baking soda based face scrub, homemade. Maybe as simple as baking soda and water. You could adjust the ratio as needed to get a desired consistency.

I used to put like a 1/4 cup of baking soda in my Epsom salt baths and still do from time to time. I don't on a regular basis anymore because it was drying my skin out.
Baking soda alters the skins PH and make it too alkaline. The skin should be more on the acidic side so I cant see this helping me. It will dry my skin out and my face just compensates by creating more sebum

OP
E

EIRE24

In a perfect peaty scenario I agree, not much should be necessary for healthy skin. Peating improved my skin drastically but didnt get rid of all of my acne and sebum. Using things like topical niacinamide and vitamin C make sense from a peaty perspective, and for most people won't cause extra problems.
Yea, the solban mixture worked for me too but it doesnt get rid of the main cause it just masks it

OP
E

EIRE24

Coffee Grounds. Caffeine gets the skin working, plus minor physical manipulation. Works wonders.
You mean applied to the skin? I did try Solban which had caffeine in it and it did help but still never fully got rid of the problem. How do you do it with coffee grounds?

Steene

I used a 5% niacinamide solution and I am not peating at all in a traditional way. I recognized that his perspective and philosophy makes sense but not in every aspect. In other words I am not drinking milk and OJ all the time or lets better say I only use some ml for my coffee and that's it.

walker_in_aus

You mean applied to the skin? I did try Solban which had caffeine in it and it did help but still never fully got rid of the problem. How do you do it with coffee grounds?
I literally rub them on my face then rinse them off. :)

tara

This is just a brainstorm idea, don't know if it would work, and I don't have the issue myself, so can't try it out for myself.
Have you tried topical coconut oil? I tried to use it as a moisturiser, and gave up because it was too drying for my skin. I wonder whether it would help dissolve the sebum and heavier fats with its smaller chained fats, and therefore allow them to release from the skin more easily? It seems to get through the skin quite easily.

When I had oily skin and acne as a teenager, someone suggested lemon juice, but I don't think I tried it.

OP
E

EIRE24

This is just a brainstorm idea, don't know if it would work, and I don't have the issue myself, so can't try it out for myself.
Have you tried topical coconut oil? I tried to use it as a moisturiser, and gave up because it was too drying for my skin. I wonder whether it would help dissolve the sebum and heavier fats with its smaller chained fats, and therefore allow them to release from the skin more easily? It seems to get through the skin quite easily.

When I had oily skin and acne as a teenager, someone suggested lemon juice, but I don't think I tried it.
Yea I've tried it and it kind of just sits on my skin unfortunately. I may try it again.

Richiebogie

Hi @EIRE24,

If the root cause of acne is improper diet, then the cure is to correct the diet.

A simple test should prove this in your case.

If you live alone it should be easy to eat only fruit and salad for a week.

Eg. OJ, bananas, dates, other raw fruit, other dried fruit, lettuce, tomato, cucumber, parsley, lemon juice, no oil etc.

Try to keep your total calories equal to what you normally eat.

If you live with family then you will need to explain the experiment to them. (You want to find out what foods give you acne).

You should start to notice the whites of your eyes getting clearer after a few meals. Your body odour will diminish also.

You may get a runny nose as your body starts to detox. After this your body will begin to eliminate less toxins through your skin.

Once your skin is clear you can experiment by slowly introducing other foods like boiled potatoes, sweet potatoes etc.

Fried food, oils, nuts / peanuts /coconuts, beans / soy / tofu, peas, fish, eggs, chicken, red meat and dairy could cause issues so introduce them one at a time every 3 days or so.

You may find that while the skin stays clear, some of these foods cause other health issues!

This sort of experimentation requires inner strength. Perhaps you need time to find that strength.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals