Face Moisturiser?

puella

I gave up on commercial moisturizers. I make my own out of aloe( its estrogenic but I have yet find anything else that's works as well for me), glycerine, drops vit e, bit of tea tree, and Niacinamide. Small batches. Really evened out my skin tone and no more acne.

For what it's worth Honeybee- I recently discovered Miracle II Neutralizer Gel & love it as an aloe alternative. Can't claim it does anything other than replace my love of the cool, slippery feeling of aloe gel. Be warned, the branding is very kooky! Prayer & the Anointment of God are listed in the ingredients. I gave it out at Christmas & kept having to tell people that it was not a joke gift hah.
actual ingredients: electrically engineered eloptic energized stabilized oxygenated water, ash of dedecyl solution, calcium, potassium, magnesium

..curious to try it as a base for something more moisturizing, like what you posted above, one of these days. Two other ingredients I'm interested in maybe throwing in are kakadu plum extract (for vit c) & silver ear mushroom extract ("Tremella mushrooms are an excellent source of fiber and vitamin D, and also contain antioxidants, vitamins B1, B2, and B6, folate, zinc, potassium calcium, magnesium, iron, and copper").

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I have been using Biossance Squalane Oil after washing my face, and I absolutely LOVE it—absorbs quickly and completely. Got it on a Black Friday super sale; used Timeless brand before that which is regularly much cheaper but a tad heavier.
Ray Peat compares squalane to mineral oil in this email reply to @Rosie from early January of this year.

Squalane is a long saturated carbon chain, essentially the same as mineral oil.
Arthritis Res Ther. 2005;7(6):R1296-303. Epub 2005 Sep 23.
Association between occupational exposure to mineral oil and rheumatoid
arthritis: results from the Swedish EIRA case-control study.

Sverdrup B, Kallberg H, Bengtsson C, Lundberg I, Padyukov L, Alfredsson L,
Klareskog L; Epidemiological Investigation of Rheumatoid Arthritis Study Group.
Department of Medicine, Karolinska Institutet, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm,
Sweden. [email protected]
The aim of the present study was to investigate the association between exposure
to mineral oil and the risk of developing rheumatoid arthritis (RA), and in
addition to perform a separate analysis on the major subphenotypes for the
disease; namely, rheumatoid factor (RF)-positive RA, RF-negative RA,
anticitrulline-positive RA and anticitrulline-negative RA, respectively. A
population-based case-control study of incident cases of RA was performed among
the population aged 18-70 years in a defined area of Sweden during May
1996-December 2003. A case was defined as an individual from the study base who
for the first time received a diagnosis of RA according to the American College
of Rheumatology criteria of 1987. Controls were randomly selected from the study
base with consideration taken for age, gender and residential area. Cases (n =
1,419) and controls (n = 1,674) answered an extensive questionnaire regarding
lifestyle factors and occupational exposures, including different types of
mineral oils. Sera from cases and controls were investigated for RF and
anticitrulline antibodies.Among men, exposure to any mineral oil was associated
with a 30% increased relative risk of developing RA (relative risk = 1.3, 95%
confidence interval = 1.0-1.7). When cases were subdivided into RF-positive RA
and RF-negative RA, an increased risk
was only observed for RF-positive RA
(relative risk = 1.4, 95% confidence interval 1.0-2.0). When RA cases were
subdivided according to the presence of anticitrulline antibodies, an increased
risk associated with exposure to any mineral oil was observed only for
anticitrulline-positive RA (relative risk = 1.6, 95% confidence interval =
1.1-2.2). Analysis of the interaction between oil exposure and the presence of
HLA-DR shared epitope genes regarding the incidence of RA indicated that the
increased risk associated with exposure to mineral oil was not related to the
presence of shared epitope genotypes. In conclusion, our study shows that
exposure to mineral oil is associated with an increased risk to develop

RF-positive RA and anticitrulline-positive RA, respectively. The findings are of
particular interest since the same mineral oils can induce polyarthritis in
rats."

livesimply

Wow--thank you for that. I will have to investigate further!

livesimply

dreamcatcher

I've used this before: https://www.vitacost.com/desert-ess...oz?q=coconut+and+jojoba&ta=coconut+and+jojoba and then just saw this which includes coffee seed oil: https://www.vitacost.com/desert-ess...oz?q=coconut+and+jojoba&ta=coconut+and+jojoba. Anyone have any idea if either of these would be bad for a facial moisturizer to replace the squalane I've been using? The first product absorbs very quickly.
Thanks! :):
I honestly think that not using any products is the best. I had a complex skin care 'routine' in the past but now only wash my face with water and occasionally exfoliate it with baking soda. My skin is the softest ever with no build-up. According to a Chinese dermatologist, it takes 1-3 months for the skin to adjust. Initially your skin might become dry or overproduce oil before you see the final results.

LUH 3417

I honestly think that not using any products is the best. I had a complex skin care 'routine' in the past but now only wash my face with water and occasionally exfoliate it with baking soda. My skin is the softest ever with no build-up. According to a Chinese dermatologist, it takes 1-3 months for the skin to adjust. Initially your skin might become dry or overproduce oil before you see the final results.
I have to agree with you. The only product my face skin seems to like topically is Neroli orange blossom toner which I’m pretty sure I enjoy most for its uplifting fragrance

B

Braveheart

I am not saying you need to try the following remedies.
I am just posting my experience with how I solved my acne and dry skin issues.

Urine therapy was a godsend at the time I found out about it. It healed my acne more than anything else I ever did and only left me with a couple occasional pimples and white heads.
Then I stopped washing my face altogether and wouldn't let it get wet when I was in the shower and it solved the remaining skin issues.

These probably sound like extreme measures and I bet most people wouldn't follow them although I have seen it cure mine and some of my friends skin problems.
Its funny its like a had a little secret about my friends. They all put a little urine on there face every day and no one ever knew. Except me ;)

Also microdermabrasion seemed to make my skin look pretty nice back when I was using products and washing every day. Also fresh Aloe Vera was a really nice natural moisturizer.
I once had a pretty Latin girl living next door in California...she had the most beautiful facial skin...she took her babies pee soaked diaper and applied to face....

Not exactly a supplement but can anybody recommend a facial moisturiser (other than coconut oil)? I have mostly dry skin with slight rocesea around my nose and under my eyes. I've been using an organic snail cream but the second ingredient is olive oil. It seems that after extensive use, the Vitamin E apparently can cause excess shedding of the cells, and dryness. (and mild breakouts).

I have a pure snail serum (99%) which is fine, but it's not a moisturiser. I find that I need to exfoliate my forehead and nose every other day! (minor breakouts are along my jawline). I only splash my face with cool water once a day and use either a honey and coffee mask to exfoliate, or a muslin cloth.

In the past I've used various oils, including jojoba but I don't find that they help that much - just stain my skin a weird colour and can cause breakouts. I've tried things like E45 but that made my skin very greasy and shiny.

Any advice is appreciated!
Kuinone on the face

puella

I've used this before: https://www.vitacost.com/desert-ess...oz?q=coconut+and+jojoba&ta=coconut+and+jojoba and then just saw this which includes coffee seed oil: https://www.vitacost.com/desert-ess...oz?q=coconut+and+jojoba&ta=coconut+and+jojoba. Anyone have any idea if either of these would be bad for a facial moisturizer to replace the squalane I've been using? The first product absorbs very quickly.
Thanks! :):

I bought the one with the coffee extract for my husband as a beard oil & started using it as a facial moisturizer.You are right, it absorbs very quickly so I've been adding a bit of Progest-e to it to slow it down a bit. Mix it with lanolin & use for the rest of the body. I've been doing this for over a month & like it. Nothing much to report - no glaring negatives or standout positives. (using the miracle gel as my base layer everywhere..also still love it but can't claim anything on it either)

Fllora

A bit like with what we eat, some science can be applied to skin care, skin is an organ after all and as all organs it can go awry. Untreated, coarse, naturally occurring substances can be applied but using more sophisticated, processed ingredients isn’t necessarily worse. As long as imo you keep in mind that yes, commercial products can be horribly marketed to mislead and make money for the producer without benefiting the user and that the use of the word ‘natural’ is often much misunderstood. It isn’t necessarily most helpful to use ‘nature’ as is eg eat a raw potato or put a raw egg on your hair. A bit of processing can beneficial - apparently double cooking potato as I read in another thread to reduce starch - or extracting an element of whatever’s good in eggs for your hair rather than dripping the entire thing over yourself. Why not pleasure our senses of smell and feel. Also a bit like coconut oil, I believe Peat suggested using the processed oil since the raw ‘organic’ version can go rancid and toxic. So with cosmetics, why not apply some tactical processing.

After spending hours looking at what to put on my skin (as well as what to ingest, hello Ray Peat) I did eventually come up with one crazy individual who seemed to apply principles of what actually works rather than the usual what can be sold for the most profit. Turns out most of the cosmetic industry ingredients have been around for a while like the ubiquitous glycerin, don’t cost a lot and there is sold evidence for what works and what doesn’t - so bravely this guy attempted to make and sell his skin products at a max quality for the lowest possible price to make his business viable - a complete anathema to the industry. And possibly suicidal as current events around his business seem to be indicating. So though the company is controversial and flies in the face of current perceptions I thought I’d mention it here in relation to skin care. I did like his reasoning for making his potions and the few I have used made quite a bit of difference so much so that I can’t imagine using anything else. I’m also not sure what will happen to his company in the future but for now, anyone interested you can look up the NIOD range from a company called DECIEM.
Still in business in 2023. Fascinating formulas that I don't begin to understand. Thanks for your post!