How Do Followers Of Ray Peat Take Care Of Their Skin?

baccheion

100mg oral GABA increases Elastin in the facial skin, a parameter that most skincare options hardly affect or ony secondarily, while it i an important factor in facial look.
What an intriguing find about GABA also apart from skin effects. I wonder if topical GABA would be even more effective. @haidut this might interest you too

Doesn't progesterone and DHT increase GABA?

LeeLemonoil

Doesn't progesterone and DHT increase GABA?

I'm not so well versed in how the mechanisms are exactly. Some substances mimic GABA, some reenforce transmission/signalling, some increas it and so forth ... again, Mr. @haidut needs to see the GABA/Elastin-connection.

Some additional thougts:
If relatively small doses of oral GABA (100mg in the study) can increase and upregulate Elastin-transcription in the skin of the face, it's likely it does so in other tissues as well. I think Elastin is an importnat compnent of connective tissue and regulates the function or loss thereof as well. It might play a hug role in prevention of fibrosis and similar conditons.

Coincidentally, I began supplmenting Taurine 3 or 4 weeks ago (2-3g a day) and my facial skin looks much better these last ~10 days. Wrinkles are shallower, complexion is better, seems more moist. I did not take Taurine becuase of skin issues or expected results becuase I did not know the study at the time of beginning. Now I wonder if Taurine orally has effects on Elastin as well. Taurine I think really is one of te substances tat mimics GABA neuron signalling and might therefore achieve similar feedback signals that migt as well increase Elastin transcrition. But this is very speculative.

Lolinaa

I mix my own skincare ltoins and serums or add actives to existsing sensibly made products, but I never used Glycine as an ingredient before. Somehow I doubted its ability to go through the keratic layer.

Well it does penetrate. And it seems a logical addition given its role in collagen-metabolism and most importantly, mitochonrial function.

Wow, thanks for this. I will try.
Do you think I can use the gelatin I get from bone broth which contains as well glycine or should I buy some glycine alone? Do you put it in water?
Your posts and ideas are really great like another poster said above.

LeeLemonoil

Gelatin and collagen contain too many other amino acids and tend to form the known gel like consistency. Pure glycine on the other hand does dissolve very easily in water and you’d only need 1-2% in a lotion. Pure glycine is the reasonable approach

D

danishispsychic

I only use oil on my skin to cleanse ( no water ) - do B3 serum , zinc sunscreen , retinol., I take probiotics even though it is not Peaty.

OceanSpray

Interesting thread. I would argue - and I’m surprised it hasn’t been mentioned yet - that skin is an entirely self sufficient organ that needs absolutely zero things applied to look and function properly, and any skin problems are almost always a manifestation of an internal problem that will never be cured by anything applied to the skin’s surface.

LeeLemonoil

http://doraziolab.uky.edu/publicati... 4-09 prolonged forskolin manuscript PCMR.pdf

200 micromol concentration of a 20%-Forskoli extract was used. Thats roughly 1 mg on 10g cream if DIY.

I stubled on that research by a recent press-release that shilled for a forskollin-based derivat that induces healthy tanning with most beneficial biomarkers of tanning without skin-destruction of UV-radiation. They claimed that inventing the derivat was necessry becuase Forskolin alone wasnt able to penetrate deeply enough into human skin. I dont believe that. Forskolin is fat-slouble and can also be helped along with penetration enhancer. So as the paper above describes, I think Forskolin is sufficient to achive "tanned" skin in a healthy manner.

Dave Clark

I just read that the amino acid Lysine is supposed to help with collagen production, etc. and that there are claims that the skin looks better after either supplementing or eating a high lysine diet. Anyone have this experience? https://tendler5.wixsite.com/highlysinediet Scroll down on this one, good lysine info, not just about food.

baccheion

I just read that the amino acid Lysine is supposed to help with collagen production, etc. and that there are claims that the skin looks better after either supplementing or eating a high lysine diet. Anyone have this experience? https://tendler5.wixsite.com/highlysinediet Scroll down on this one, good lysine info, not just about food.
Lysine is somewhat a limiter, but it was more glycine that pushed past limits. Vitamin B9, vitamin B12, methionine, and choline may also be involved.

High glycine concentration increases collagen synthesis by articular chondrocytes in vitro: acute glycine deficiency could be an important cause of osteoarthritis

Last edited:

SQu

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5796020/pdf/ijms-19-00070.pdf#cite.B50-ijms-19-00070

Coconut oil is among the most versatile and effective. Shea butter / Stearic acid inhibits Cox-2.
Versatile and effective at what? Just generally good ingredients in skin care? Actually I see your attachment mentions anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair so that's presumably what you are referring to.
I am tweaking mainstream skin care recipes in Peaty ways and loving the results. I'm adding powdered stearic acid with good results. Also I use cocoa butter, shea somewhat less as cocoa butter has a better fatty acid profile if I recall correctly from when I checked, and the texture of shea is greasier. I add lots of other things too including some of your favourites like limonene, and am considering glycine. However I still have a rash on my hairline and forehead which I think is related to hair dye. My current approach to which is to tackle the gut, endotoxin, with low dose antibiotics (which don't seem to have helped that issue though I find I feel better on them in other ways) and just starting oregano oil. Pondering methylene blue in nighttime cream (but the alcohol is a question mark) and already using cholesterol and progesterone in daytime cream.

Inaut

i'm expecting a shipment of camphor terpenes today. Want to test it out with lanolin for skin care.

Hans

Forum Supporter
GABA and especially vitamin B2 has amazing benefits for my skin. My forehead is smooth and moist where it was rough and slightly more wrinkly before. I've seen these benefits in less than a week.

LucyL

I rarely wash my facial skin with soap - maybe 2 or 3 times a year. I mix some essential oil compounds with beeswax and jojoba, olive or coconut oil for spot application when I do get a bit acne. It happens, even now into my late 40s. There are some great recipes for combining essential oils for acne online. I know essential oils aren't particularly peaty, but I'm don't use them over widespread areas every day, just applied as needed to a breakout for a day or two. Some of them are very effective are reducing redness and swelling and for me, that's the important bit. Then I can apply a tiny bit of concealer to mute the remaining redness, and I'm good to go. But I've never been one to obsess over my skin, and I don't wear makeup (other than the concealer as needed).

For the rest of my skin, I only wash the "critical bits" that might be inclined to be odoriferous, with soap; I try to find tallow based soaps, as coconut dries me out too much. Lately I've been using a camel milk based soap, and that's very nice (but expensive). I use it as shampoo sometimes. For moisturizing I use lanolin or a tallow based. I need the extra cholesterol.

LeeLemonoil

Versatile and effective at what? Just generally good ingredients in skin care? Actually I see your attachment mentions anti-inflammatory and skin barrier repair so that's presumably what you are referring to.
I am tweaking mainstream skin care recipes in Peaty ways and loving the results. I'm adding powdered stearic acid with good results. Also I use cocoa butter, shea somewhat less as cocoa butter has a better fatty acid profile if I recall correctly from when I checked, and the texture of shea is greasier. I add lots of other things too including some of your favourites like limonene, and am considering glycine. However I still have a rash on my hairline and forehead which I think is related to hair dye. My current approach to which is to tackle the gut, endotoxin, with low dose antibiotics (which don't seem to have helped that issue though I find I feel better on them in other ways) and just starting oregano oil. Pondering methylene blue in nighttime cream (but the alcohol is a question mark) and already using cholesterol and progesterone in daytime cream.

Versatile and effective regarding the criteria of the publication, not meant as my verdict.
Adding Glycine is fine, dissolves easily and skin feels good.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals