Skin Still A Problem

OP
N

Nstocks

Yep, it's worth a try and I'm going to culture it myself (mostly to save money).

Chuckling goat have a discount on raw milk so I have 28 pints coming on Friday :).

Also ordered Zinc Picolinate which I've only ever tried once many years ago. (I think Peeta or someone on this forum has great success with it).

Do you find any particular time of day works best for you? I used to drink it first thing on an empty stomach, but now I believe it should be around mid-day due to lactic acid.

jyb

Nstocks said:
Do you find any particular time of day works best for you? I used to drink it first thing on an empty stomach, but now I believe it should be around mid-day due to lactic acid.

I use it just like I would use any other dairy product. It reminds me more of cheese than milk or yogurt. I'm not sure if homemade kefir has much D-Lactic acid from what I've read so I don't really worry about that - if it was high in it I would probably feel less good than drinking plain milk, which is clearly not the case.

OP
N

Nstocks

Do you only drink milk kefir now then? I remember you saying that you drank around 2L milk per day - how much Kefir do you get through?

I'm always looking at what I can eat; could you share your diet?

I'm in so much pain right now, it's been going on for years so I probably have a lot to overcome. I have to change more things.

jyb

Nstocks said:
Do you only drink milk kefir now then? I remember you saying that you drank around 2L milk per day - how much Kefir do you get through?

I'm always looking at what I can eat; could you share your diet?

I'm in so much pain right now, it's been going on for years so I probably have a lot to overcome. I have to change more things.

We don't have the same symptoms so I got no magical diet for you. I use 1 or 2L of farm milk per day, whether whole, kefir or just eat the upper creamy portion. Last couple months I did kefir only as I was curious and felt well on it. Chocolate, gelatin, beef, cream, occasional banana or potato with butter,...

OP
N

Nstocks

Of course not, I understand that, just interested in what other eat besides OJ and milk.

I'm thinking about making sourdough, depending on cost and time. I don't eat many grains but eggs and toast with lots of salt are palatable for me right now, which most foods are not.

jyb

Nstocks said:
Of course not, I understand that, just interested in what other eat besides OJ and milk

If you have "so much pain" then have you considered OJ and/or milk being a problem? I don't drink OJ at all. If milk was just a slight problem, I think properly fermented kefir could still be an interesting experiment - if you look online for people blaming lactose or undigested casein, some of those say kefir digests fine.

OP
N

Nstocks

OJ first thing in the morning is incredible. It's like it burns away some pain and make me feel a little empty, milk never does that.

Quite often when I swig some milk, I do get some bloat almost immediately so maybe it is the milk? Sounds dumb which so much food choices, but without milk, I'd loose a lot of nutrition and calories. I still find it diffucult to find any food that appeal to me - mostly because of bloating and liquid meals are easy to get down the gullet without thinking too much about it.

I'm going to drink at least 1 pint of kefir a day and lay off plain milk. I'm interested in the low starch diet but again, not many food appeal to me at all.

tara

jyb said:
Nstocks said:
I've ordered raw goat milk and I'm going to start with Kefir to see if adding "good bacteria" to my gut will help.

I'm skeptical because last time I had kefir I was just bloated and gave up. I don't think antibiotics are really the solution here and would probably be more of a burden on my liver. Glutamine was suggested in that video to heal the gut, but a lot of forums report it worsens acne.

Maybe the potential benefit of kefir for acne, if any, is more about the pre-digestion. For example a protein like casein. Undigested protein like casein has the potential to open gut tight junctions like gluten. It shouldn't happen if you have a well functioning stomach and normal acid, but what if you're hypothyroid? It may explain anecdotes by leaky gut sufferers about intolerance to casein (not just gluten). Not all fermentation degrades it, but kefir definitely does according to Pubmed. IGF growth factor in milk is also degraded by it. Compared to milk there are other differences like lower pH, more of some B-vitamins, pro-biotics that are more likely to survive acid due to the biofilm and different blood glucose and insulin response, but in my opinion the digestion helper effect seems like a more convincing explanation.

Problems with food proteins and in layman's term, see Casein vs Gluten

I'm acne free drinking kefir nowadays, without the need for any retinol supplementation nor beef liver. So maybe it is useful.

This is my top contender for why I get brain fog after too much milk (sometimes).
Personally, I didn't fare a lot better with yogurt or keffir ( :( ), but hat could have been a separate lactic acid effect.

Philomath

Here is a recipe for a homemade topical moisturizer:
1-2 teaspoons glycerin (I use NOW brand)
4 ounces distilled water
Mix together in a spray bottle and apply by misting the skin.
1 teaspoon glycerin works best for oily skin and 2 teaspoons for dry. You can adjust the glycerin to suit your own skin type. Sometimes in the winter I will apply some jojoba after the moisture mist while my skin is still wet. I like this, it's cheap to make and is certainly way less toxic than most commercial products.
I'm not going to guarantee it will immediately solve your acne but I've used this for several years now and rarely get a blemish. When I started making this I had used retin-a for about twenty years because I was acne prone.
For exfoliating I like to combine about 1 tablespoon of baking soda with distilled water into a paste and apply it in a light circular motion to the facial skin for 5-10 minutes. I would avoid rubbing this directly on a blemish because it might irritate the area. My goal is to exfoliate once a week but in reality I usually only do it every month or two.
I don't have any scientific data on why/how these homemade products work. I just got interested in making my own stuff about 5 years ago when I got tired of wasting money and everything seemingly breaking me out.
I do believe good skin comes from the inside ultimately but I've experienced first hand what putting foul products on my skin can do so I prefer to make whatever I can.
Good luck to you! I hope you get lots of great ideas.
Have you ever added supplements to the glycerin? Besides what Dr. Peat has mentioned for hair loss (aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine) I've thought about about adding one or more of the following: taurine, Zinc, Theanine, DHEA, pregnenolone, vit E, urea, DMAE. Each is supposed to have skin benefits.
Would it be best to warm up the glycerine and add the powders to it, or dissolve in water or ethanol first then add?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
Have you ever added supplements to the glycerin? Besides what Dr. Peat has mentioned for hair loss (aspirin, niacinamide, caffeine) I've thought about about adding one or more of the following: taurine, Zinc, Theanine, DHEA, pregnenolone, vit E, urea, DMAE. Each is supposed to have skin benefits.
Would it be best to warm up the glycerine and add the powders to it, or dissolve in water or ethanol first then add?
I haven't tried adding anything to the water/glycerin moisturizer but it's a good idea. Sometimes I'll apply jojoba and fat soluble vitamins over the water/glycerin moisturizer before bed.

bohogirl

I drink kefir and I do get bloated on it. I feel like after awhile the bloating does go away, I just recently reintroduced it. I don't really see a difference in my skin with or without it, but that could be because I'm missing something else?

I have mostly jawline/neck acne, and have been battling it for years. My acne is cystic and not normal. Milk/sugar makes me break out. Low-fat kefir does not.

I am relatively clear but still suffer from blackheads, large pores, and comedones.

ilovethesea

I drink kefir and I do get bloated on it. I feel like after awhile the bloating does go away, I just recently reintroduced it. I don't really see a difference in my skin with or without it, but that could be because I'm missing something else?

I have mostly jawline/neck acne, and have been battling it for years. My acne is cystic and not normal. Milk/sugar makes me break out. Low-fat kefir does not.

I am relatively clear but still suffer from blackheads, large pores, and comedones.

According to Ray's line of thinking... the milk and sugar would raise your metabolism... so if you are deficient in A that could be the cause of the acne.

Kefir is high in lactic acid. I wonder if that has something to do with it not raising your metabolism as much.

I think I just replied to you on the other thread about upping vitamin A.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals