Face Moisturiser?

Blossom

Forum Supporter
I really like 1tsp. vegetable glycerine mixed in 4 ounces distilled water and placed in a mist bottle to spritz on the face for light moisture during the day. If you have dry skin you could use two tsp glycerine to 4 ounces. Just thought I'd mention that.

paper_clips43

Nstocks said:
I've been trying to find out wether or not tallow is comedogenic before I try it, but due to the unpopularity of using this, nobody knows!

I've not tried a new moisturiser yet - just giving my skin a little break from products and strangely, it seems to work! I have been exfoliating almost daily to shed the dry skin though. It's still red and dry-looking so I do need something.

Does the tallow leave your skin smelly? (the one I'm looking to buy is for cooking and isn't deodorised). Does it absorb into the skin quickly? I could probably just apply it at night and by morning it should have completely absorbed.

Yes it does leave it smelly. I feel like I can smell bacon on my face for about an hour afterwards.
I have been applying it at night though and I find that only using a tiny tiny amount is best.
In the morning there is no sign of it.

Oh and that reminds me I bought a dry brush that I used to use on my face at night.
I still do sometimes and I feel like gentle motions around the face flakes off any dead skin and is beneficial. Supposedly its good for the lymph system. Not sure about the credit on that though.

OP
N

Nstocks

I've recently bought a brush too, a soft goat hair brush used for brushing baby's hair. (called the baby brush method on acne.org)

It makes my skin very soft and doesn't seem as harsh as using muslin cloths or coffee to exfoliate, which I need to do every other day.

I came across and interesting website yesterday about 'natural' skincare: http://neimansidealist.wordpress.com/20 ... rone-skin/

It makes some good points and this is the moisturiser the writer uses after having severe acne for many years :http://www.omorovicza.co.uk/balancing-moisturiser.html

It has some interesting ingredients, with glycerin being the second ingredient! I'm not sure I can spend £75 on it though...

goodandevil

I second the tallow, it is excellent! It may be possible to dissolve some retinyl palmitate in it as well.

Philomath

Urine therapy probably works (for some) due the urea in urine. A quick online search provided information on a cream that has 3% Salicylic acid and urea.

Bianca Rosa
Bianca Rosa Salicylic Acid USP/Urea combines both 3 percent salicylic acid and 20 percent urea in a cream marketed for the treatment of mild acne. Salicylic acid, which is derived from willow bark, is used to promote healthy, unblocked pores, while the urea works to treat dry and irritated skin and provide a healthy moisture barrier. Zooscape.com, which sells the cream, says it should be used morning and night, or as directed by a doctor.

Luann

If you are using shampoo, it's got to be making your dry skin and rosacea worse, just saying. Hope you find something that works

ShayBay01

I've used tallow before as a moisturizer and it worked pretty well actually! The only problem was that using it after my makeup cleanser, then charcoal mask, then a face balm, the tallow had a tough job keeping my skin moisturized and healthy. So I started using Albolene. Not sure if any of you have used it before but its combined all of those annoying makeup removal steps into one. It has the same moisturizing effects as the tallow but it also removes melts the makeup off my skin. It's definitely worth looking into especially with dried out skin like I'm prone to getting.

O

Oniyogini

I have had great results with a glycerine and niacinamide (in distilled water) spray for moisturising. For blackheads and open pores, I am using a silk facecloth which also polishes off dead skin cells so the skin takes up the moisting spray better as well as making my pores smaller.

EIRE24

I have had great results with a glycerine and niacinamide (in distilled water) spray for moisturising. For blackheads and open pores, I am using a silk facecloth which also polishes off dead skin cells so the skin takes up the moisting spray better as well as making my pores smaller.
How do you prepare this?

O

Oniyogini

I read online :)
I used 1 capsule of Thorne's Niacinamide, 1 TBsp of Glycerine (from pharmacy/chemist depending where you live), shake well in distilled water in a spray/mist bottle (4 inches tall) from a Dollar store. ATM, I am using same but with 300mg of aspirin in it too that hubby is using for his skin things...too much glycerine and it might feel sticky...

EIRE24

I read online :)
I used 1 capsule of Thorne's Niacinamide, 1 TBsp of Glycerine (from pharmacy/chemist depending where you live), shake well in distilled water in a spray/mist bottle (4 inches tall) from a Dollar store. ATM, I am using same but with 300mg of aspirin in it too that hubby is using for his skin things...too much glycerine and it might feel sticky...
And you have seen good improvements?

xiaohua

This is fascinating. Thank you for sharing. Wish someone else would do that work and I could buy it - lol.

Haha, I know what you mean. I bought some online a while ago and it was nice, but it didn't compare to the beautifully light, whipped texture of the stuff I made at home (used an electric mixer to take the hard work out of it). I also used rosewater instead of plain water which was a good choice.

L

lollipop

Haha, I know what you mean. I bought some online a while ago and it was nice, but it didn't compare to the beautifully light, whipped texture of the stuff I made at home (used an electric mixer to take the hard work out of it). I also used rosewater instead of plain water which was a good choice.
Great suggestion! Will eventually try it out :):

livesimply

Just bought two sample sizes of tallow from here: http://www.vintagetradition.com. Will post back after I receive them and use for a couple weeks. I also emailed them to find out the percentage of olive oil in the Tallow Balm. Looks promising!

Journey

A bit like with what we eat, some science can be applied to skin care, skin is an organ after all and as all organs it can go awry. Untreated, coarse, naturally occurring substances can be applied but using more sophisticated, processed ingredients isn’t necessarily worse. As long as imo you keep in mind that yes, commercial products can be horribly marketed to mislead and make money for the producer without benefiting the user and that the use of the word ‘natural’ is often much misunderstood. It isn’t necessarily most helpful to use ‘nature’ as is eg eat a raw potato or put a raw egg on your hair. A bit of processing can beneficial - apparently double cooking potato as I read in another thread to reduce starch - or extracting an element of whatever’s good in eggs for your hair rather than dripping the entire thing over yourself. Why not pleasure our senses of smell and feel. Also a bit like coconut oil, I believe Peat suggested using the processed oil since the raw ‘organic’ version can go rancid and toxic. So with cosmetics, why not apply some tactical processing.

After spending hours looking at what to put on my skin (as well as what to ingest, hello Ray Peat) I did eventually come up with one crazy individual who seemed to apply principles of what actually works rather than the usual what can be sold for the most profit. Turns out most of the cosmetic industry ingredients have been around for a while like the ubiquitous glycerin, don’t cost a lot and there is sold evidence for what works and what doesn’t - so bravely this guy attempted to make and sell his skin products at a max quality for the lowest possible price to make his business viable - a complete anathema to the industry. And possibly suicidal as current events around his business seem to be indicating. So though the company is controversial and flies in the face of current perceptions I thought I’d mention it here in relation to skin care. I did like his reasoning for making his potions and the few I have used made quite a bit of difference so much so that I can’t imagine using anything else. I’m also not sure what will happen to his company in the future but for now, anyone interested you can look up the NIOD range from a company called DECIEM.

baccheion

MSM lotion.

Urine also contains allantoin (one of the main ingredients in Comfrey root) which many purchase to put in custom skin care products.

livesimply

I have been using Biossance Squalane Oil after washing my face, and I absolutely LOVE it—absorbs quickly and completely. Got it on a Black Friday super sale; used Timeless brand before that which is regularly much cheaper but a tad heavier.

EMF Mitigation - Flush Niacin - Big 5 Minerals